The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I kinda feel bad for Dar (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=15800)

limey 10-29-2007 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Datalyss (Post 401145)
Alright, ya' know what, I shouldn't have started this thread. My bad. If you're not a TV fan, that's you're decision (even if you're missing some good stuff, like 4 certain History Channel shows and a thing on the Travel Channel I saw over the weekend). Just don't let me know, otherwise, I might be tempted to try to change your opinion, which I have no wish to do.

If you're a TV fan, that's your decision (even if you're missing some good stuff like making live music, and creating useful, beautiful things with your own hands that I did over the weekend). Just don't let me know, otherwise I might be tempted to change your opinion, which I have no wish to do.

Drax 10-29-2007 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 401154)
If you're a TV fan, that's your decision (even if you're missing some good stuff like making live music, and creating useful, beautiful things with your own hands that I did over the weekend). Just don't let me know, otherwise I might be tempted to change your opinion, which I have no wish to do.

http://www.insanesoccer.com/games/images/thefinger.jpg

Drax 10-29-2007 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 401043)
I don't have time to feel sorry for those who do

Then don't. :p

Quote:

you are supposed to pay your TV license.....
I've always wondered about that. Why do you need a license just to own a TV in England?

limey 10-29-2007 03:57 PM

So it's OK for you to say this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Datalyss (Post 401145)
Alright, ya' know what, I shouldn't have started this thread. My bad. If you're not a TV fan, that's you're decision (even if you're missing some good stuff, like 4 certain History Channel shows and a thing on the Travel Channel I saw over the weekend). Just don't let me know, otherwise, I might be tempted to try to change your opinion, which I have no wish to do.

But not OK for me to say this:
Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 401154)

:3_eyes:

Drax 10-29-2007 04:28 PM

Simply because you're being an ass.

Clodfobble 10-29-2007 05:31 PM

Me, I kinda feel bad for dar because, well, clearly he's just not as cool as I am. ;)

TheMercenary 10-29-2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 401119)
I figured it was something like that. getting paid to be ready to work kicks ass.

Yea, like a fireman, sort of. Plus it's by the hour. And when I finish at 7 am on Wed I leave this one and go to another one for 8 or 9 hours, go home, eat with the family and come back on Thurs am for another 48 hours. What a joy. But hey, I am off Sat! then back for another 24 on Sunday.

TheMercenary 10-29-2007 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Datalyss (Post 401163)
Then don't. :p

I've always wondered about that. Why do you need a license just to own a TV in England?

Because they don't have commercials and the government controls the airwaves.

monster 10-29-2007 08:19 PM

Something like that. It's a licence to use not to own, but they are effectively the same. You only need one per household, though, regardless of how many TVs you have. The TV licence also pays for BBC Radio, which is also commericial free and excellent. You do not need a licence to listen to that. As for government control, well, yes and no. US TV is way more censored and channels have much more politicial bias.....

End result, no commercials on BBC, higher quality programming all round. There is commercial TV, but because it must compete with the govt funded commericial-free TV, not only are the programs good, the commercials are too.

Moving here is the reason I stopped watching TV. I took up the internet instead. But I only visit commercial-free sites. ;)

(TV licence is $270 per year, so comparable in price to basic cable. http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/index.jsp)

monster 10-29-2007 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Datalyss (Post 401192)
Simply because you're being an ass.

Um, no.

TheMercenary 10-29-2007 08:31 PM

Thanks Monster. I never fully understood it even though we have visited the UK a few times and have friends who visit us here. Our TV must actually torture them. I love the BBC radio. I try to grab it off an internet stream when I think about it.

monster 10-29-2007 08:45 PM

You're welcome. There are additional TV options, but that's the origin. I have heard that the quality of TV has deteriorated since I left (6.5 years ago), because of reduced funding, satellite TV competition and general lowering of standards, but now I'm out of the habit of watching,I don't really care any more. the good documentaries etc can be obtained on DVD or over the internet, the good discussion is here, we live near Detroit so not all radio is country.... :lol:

Drax 10-29-2007 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 401326)
Um, no.

Um, yes. By essentially copying what I typed, changing a few key words, and throwing back in my face, limey's just making a pathetic attempt to mock me, like making reference to my lack of precise control over my hands ("creating useful, beautiful things with your own hands ").

monster 10-29-2007 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Datalyss (Post 401355)
Um, yes. By essentially copying what I typed, changing a few key words, and throwing back in my face, limey's just making a pathetic attempt to mock me, like making reference to my lack of precise control over my hands ("creating useful, beautiful things with your own hands ").

Are you sure she knows about your hand issue?

Aliantha 10-29-2007 11:24 PM

Isn't limey a he?

And didn't we have this discussion a couple of weeks ago (with regard to datalyss disability), and anyone could be forgiven for not realizing it's the same person as Drax since there have been a number of name changes.

I think it's time for you to take a chill pill data.