The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Anyone being affected by Proposition 8? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18704)

Aliantha 11-14-2008 12:57 AM

lol...you have fun with this argument you're about to have Juni. lol I think I'll just watch. :D

Aliantha 11-14-2008 12:58 AM

(if you're wondering what I'm talking about, just do a search using the words Radar and rights) lol...again.

Juniper 11-14-2008 01:09 AM

It's OK. I love debating poli sci.

Aliantha 11-14-2008 01:13 AM

Uhuh...lol That's great. :) Have fun with it. ;)

Juniper 11-14-2008 01:14 AM

OK, have searched, now see what you're saying. Something about having a battle of wits with the unarmed?

Aliantha 11-14-2008 01:15 AM

Well, let's just say that it's one of Radars favourite subjects, and he likes repeating himself. Most of us have given up getting involved in it. :)

Juniper 11-14-2008 01:18 AM

Note to self: Read all threads, not just the few that look intriguing in the 10 minutes between classes. ;)

smoothmoniker 11-14-2008 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juniper (Post 504098)
OK, have searched, now see what you're saying. Something about having a battle of wits with the unarmed?

Nothing could be further from the truth. Radar is an ideologue, and a fundamentalist, and he and I frequently disagree, but he is not witless. Strap in.

ZenGum 11-14-2008 03:09 AM

I would liken it more to arguing with a deaf man.

No offense intended, Radar, that was just my impression.

ZenGum 11-14-2008 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar (Post 504023)
I think each and every single person who voted for it should be deported.

I acknowledge your retraction of this statement, but ...

If they were deported, and all snuck straight back in, would they then be illegal immigrants? ;)

Aliantha 11-14-2008 03:12 AM

If Radar wants to be offended, that's his right. ;)

It's your right not to care. :D

Aliantha 11-14-2008 03:12 AM

Oh...and it's my right to be amused. :)

Apollo 11-14-2008 04:54 AM

Really, I think the main thing that's f*cked up with the U.S Constitution and other state constiutions is that they allow rights to be taken away from people.

I mean, think about it. At any moment, even though it's VERY unlikely, the House and the Senate could be overrun with racists and biggots and our consitution would allow them to take away rights from blacks, women, athiests, muslims, you name it.

As long as three forths of the the states approve, it's all good! We could adopt slavery again if we REALLY wanted to.

That's what happened in California with Prop 8. The courts said full out that it was wrong to deny gays the right to marry. And everybody went CRAZY and loved it, and gay people were thrilled and everybody wanted to get married.

But through the tyrnnay of the majority, people were able to shut out the courts opinion and take away the rights of a group of citizens.

I'm not saying that constitutions shouldn't be able to change. Of course they should be able to change. We'd be in major trouble if they couldn't change because our country is in a constant state change. Wow I said change like 400 times in that sentence.

But I think when it comes to individual rights, that don't affect anybody else's rights, I think once those rights are given, they should never be able to be taken away.

Yup. :us:

Bullitt 11-14-2008 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 504094)
lol...you have fun with this argument you're about to have Juni. lol I think I'll just watch. :D

:corn: want some?

regular.joe 11-14-2008 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apollo (Post 504125)
Really, I think the main thing that's f*cked up with the U.S Constitution and other state constiutions is that they allow rights to be taken away from people.

Actually the US constitution has a great system of checks and balances. The Senate and House have been over run in the past with bigots and what not. We have made some great progress overcoming these problems in the States in the 232 years we've been around. I believe we will make more progress in time.

California seems to be using a full democracy, which in essence is mob rule. The whim of the majority. Not good in the long term, complete democracy tends to tear itself apart over the long haul.

The U.S. is a republic. It is much harder to change and does not depend on the mob rule of the majority. Make no mistake, the framers of our government knew the difference between a democracy and a republic. I don't personally believe our constitution is fucked up in the slightest. It has and will continue to withstand the test of time, with very few changes.

Oh, and do fasten in if you are going to argue with Radar. He is a man firm conviction. You won't change his mind about anything, you will have a fine discussion.