The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Boatbuilding fever WTF is wrong with me? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23212)

TheMercenary 07-23-2010 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 672338)
WTF? Skwurl, go for it. What the hell does it matter if it takes forever to complete ...it's not like anyone's waiting on it.

round here the rule is you want to start a large project, you have to find the space. Preferably not in the path between the kitchen and the front door.

Build it in your basement and make it way to big to take out the cellar door.

Involve lots of sanding.

monster 07-23-2010 08:55 PM

the "find space" rule also applies to the basement. Jus' sayin'

squirell nutkin 07-23-2010 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 672330)
Sell the wife. Build the boat.

What would the neighbors think?

ZenGum 07-23-2010 09:05 PM

Could you trade the wife for a boat?

or how about ...

Hey kids, help me get the siding on the house, then we can build a boat together and go sailing!

[naive non-parent]

squirell nutkin 07-23-2010 09:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the first boat. It is built like a brick shithouse, 7/8" Cypress planks on 1 1/2" oak frames. The keel is a solid 6x12 oak timber. There are at least 100 lbs of bronze screws in this thing.

My buddy and I built it and when he moved out west he didn't want to take it with him and I had no where to keep it so we gave it to some old codger up in Maine. I wonder if it's still in the water.

Here is the centerboard trunk in place and most of the planks in place.

The other shot is of it under sail, a month or two later.

TheMercenary 07-23-2010 09:08 PM

Awesome! :thumb:

squirell nutkin 07-23-2010 09:09 PM

So far I have the GREEN light on re-glassing the canoe, not much fun, but it will look great. Maybe then I can sell it and use the $ to finance the new boat.

TheMercenary 07-23-2010 09:17 PM

Man you have my utmost respect. That is no easy task. I would never have the patience to do such a project.

squirell nutkin 07-23-2010 09:18 PM

What, re-glassing? If you saw how heinous it looked you'd want it done.

TheMercenary 07-23-2010 09:22 PM

I'd rather spend the cash and be done with it. I don't have that kind of time in my life. I bought my first boat when I retired from the military. Edgewater 225. I love it. Build one? no thanks, but like I said, my hats off to ya.

ZenGum 07-23-2010 10:06 PM

Start building. If the wife enters the shed/garage/basement, start muttering about forty days of rain and two of each animal. Look up, and ask her to stockpile fodder.

When she realises you're just fooling around with a sailboat, she'll be quite relieved.

casimendocina 07-23-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirell nutkin (Post 672315)
At this point I am content to look at boat pr0n like this:

Gasp! This stuff should have NSFW on it.

monster 07-23-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 672363)
spend the cash .

User title.

Shawnee123 07-24-2010 08:53 AM

So my ex tells a story about this guy who was in shop class in HS, who the teacher adored. Mr Guydude could do no wrong, apparently, and anything and everything he made was held up to the others as the be-all, end-all of fine craftmanship.

Sadly, the guy drowned. When the very distraught teacher was giving an in class memoriam, some punk guy mumbled "Fucker shoulda built a boat."

Sorry, dark humor and me...

The boat thing is cool. More talent on the Cellar. You people piss me off.

However I will end with:

The owl and the pussycat went to sea
In a beautiful pea green boat.

glatt 07-24-2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirell nutkin (Post 672315)
At this point I am content to look at boat pr0n like this:

so is this the one you are going to make?

If you do build one, you should document the steps in this thread with pictures. I've made a stitch and glue plywood kayak. I'd love to see a thread on more traditional techniques, if that's what you are doing.