The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   US culture of mass killings (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=28516)

IamSam 01-11-2013 11:38 PM

Okay, so it's closer to one hundred and twelve rather than just twelve Catholic Swiss Guards who are afraid of nuns hitting their palms with a ruler.

Still doesn't answer my question about all those non-Catholic Swiss back home with a sophisticated military weapon close to hand in almost every one of those cute little mountain chalets (BTW, not a doubt in my mind that the Swiss being Swiss, have the finest weapons available with all the latest military specifications).

As I recall, there actually has been ONE mass murder in Switzerland in recent times. Some nut case had an on-going dispute with the Swiss government and ended up shooting 70 people to make his point. Don't know if he used a weapon issued by the military or one of his own, but either way he certainly made sure everyone knew about his displeasure.

Still, given all that fire power laying around, if the Swiss were like the Americans, the population of Switzerland should be half of what it actually now is.

So what makes Americans a nation of mass murderers and the Swiss a nation of neutral eldelweiss pickers?

sexobon 01-11-2013 11:44 PM

The Swiss expend massive quantities of ammunition redirecting their anger into putting holes in their cheese.

xoxoxoBruce 01-11-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana (Post 847481)
I agree with you Rhianne its the old mentality of who can piss higher on the tree, my gun is bigger than yours> penis envy

Hmm, penis envy. You may be on to something, the Newtown shooter murderer, used guns that belonged to his mother who was an enthusiast. Maybe she was envious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 847491)
The media's fascination with these events is another factor. For the mentally ill, the saturation coverage of events like these soaks in and makes it seem like a normal or reasonable act. I wish I had saved it to share here, but I recently saw an infographic of the shooters of the last dozen or so mass shootings. Each shooter had a little box with name, date, types and legality of weapons and number of victims. They looked like baseball cards. The shooters were listed, not by name or date, but by number of kills.
What better to motivate some insignificant-feeling psycho to try to top the list?

The press has a lot to do with it. It’s been proven mass shootings will get lots of coverage. And school shootings work especially well, remember the Beslan school siege? That was one of the few stories from Eastern Europe that made headlines around the world.
The media will make you a star, man, everybody will know your name, know your face, you’ll be remembered forever, like Jesse James and Black Bart. woot! woot!
Quote:

And yes, culture. Think of all the wild west folklore, the western movies, where one or a few "good guys" with guns defy and defeat a bunch of crooked land barons/ rustlers / outlaws / corrupt officials etc. There are so many cases where this happens. After a few hundred such movies, the idea is unconsciously absorbed that, if you're repressed and downtrodden and the system won't help or is in fact the problem itself, armed defiance is the correct response.
That period in our history being depicted (inaccurately) in hundreds of movies, only lasted about 25 years, too. But it still makes money.

tw, using inaccurate terms to elicit an emotional response is shameful. tsk tskhttp://cellar.org/2012/nono.gif
Not "assault rifle", large magazine rifle.

DanaC 01-12-2013 08:53 AM

I think these adverts says a lot:

http://whyevolutionistrue.files.word...ad-maxim_0.jpg

http://whyevolutionistrue.files.word...rfun_500-1.jpg

Spexxvet 01-12-2013 09:04 AM

Why can Canadians be exposed to the same violent media and games, and have access to guns, manage to stop themselves from mass shootings?

DanaC 01-12-2013 09:05 AM

Things are changing in the UK, but mostly guns are a kind of exotic, American addition to some of the inner city gangs. There's always been a few sawnoff shotguns about used in armed robberies and the like, but the weapon of choice for your average criminal/gang member/psycho tends to be a blade of some sort.

Now that's partly because guns are much harder to get, and carry much harsher penalties. It's also a lot easier to quick ditch a blade than a gun, I would imagine. But there's also a different relationship with blades. I know people who fetishise swords and switchblades. And the amount of smalltime wannabe drug dealers with machetes or knock off samurai swords is pretty high.

They're much more embedded in our culture. Or they were. These days the proliferation of US tv shows where guns seem ubiquitous may be changing those relationships. As indeed the decades of conflict and 'terror'.

[eta] there's also the country/hunting set of course. But they're not the same as US country folk :p

Griff 01-12-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 847551)
Why can Canadians be exposed to the same violent media and games, and have access to guns, manage to stop themselves from mass shootings?

Lower population numbers and density, slightly more homogenous politically, actual respect for political / lifestyle differences, decent education system, can't leave house due to snow drifts...?

DanaC 01-12-2013 09:18 AM

....can't leave house due to snowdrifts *snorts*

xoxoxoBruce 01-12-2013 09:32 AM

And a lot of french that throw their guns away.:p:

infinite monkey 01-12-2013 09:34 AM

Does anyone think that the media coverage of Sandusky and Savile will cause more people to molest children? :eyebrow:

Griff 01-12-2013 09:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Spexxvet 01-12-2013 09:48 AM

anus - LOL

orthodoc 01-12-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 847555)
Lower population numbers and density, slightly more homogenous politically, actual respect for political / lifestyle differences, decent education system, can't leave house due to snow drifts...?

Access to handguns is more difficult. I had no trouble getting a firearms acquisition certificate twenty years ago but there was a five-day wait. Of course, there were no online databases; I don't know what the regs are now. But there have been mass shootings in Canada - especially the Montreal shooting. One-tenth the populations, one-tenth the number of shootings ... I suspect Canada isn't so very different. And believe me, respect for political differences doesn't exist. Elementary and high school education in Ontario, at least, sucks. University and professional schools are very good to excellent. That will change the longer the lower levels continue to fall below mediocrity.

Undertoad 01-12-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 847562)
Does anyone think that the media coverage of Sandusky and Savile will cause more people to molest children? :eyebrow:

Yes. :(

IamSam 01-12-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 847519)
The Swiss expend massive quantities of ammunition redirecting their anger into putting holes in their cheese.

*snort*