The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   President Donald John Trump (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=32487)

Happy Monkey 01-22-2017 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trump's Press secretary
5:46 PM: Verbatim quote: "This was the largest audience to ever witness an inauguration. Period. Both in person and around the globe."

ie, the world population has increased.

Clodfobble 01-23-2017 05:37 PM

Oh my God I figured it out.

It's not the income Trump is hiding in his taxes. That has never made any sense. First, his supporters have never cared about whether he's really rich, or really pays taxes. Second, he hires teams of professional accountants--they may take advantage of every questionable loophole, but I guarantee they're as clean as any other corporation.

It's the charitable donations, you guys.

He's hiding the fact that he wrote off a large donation to someone, probably one of the many white nationalist organizations with non-profit status. At this point it's the only thing that would turn Republicans against him, hard evidence that he's an out-and-out Nazi sympathizer.

Mark my words. It's something in the charitable donations.

Griff 01-23-2017 05:44 PM

probably Greenpeace

edit oh no obviously Planned Parenthood

Undertoad 01-23-2017 06:33 PM

I would like to believe, but here's why not. Trump has been in real estate in an extremely Democratic/lefty city for 40 years. He's had to watch over skeletons like that.

In his line of business, I'd figger every donation he's ever made has been in order to get something in return.

Lastly I don't believe we have seen much of an ideology out of this guy at all.

tw 01-23-2017 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 980371)
Lastly I don't believe we have seen much of an ideology out of this guy at all.

So Trump is pragmatic.

sexobon 01-24-2017 05:37 PM

The Donald is in Shock and Awe ... of himself!

tw 01-24-2017 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 980430)
The Donald is in Shock and Awe ... of himself!

Can one really bomb himself?

Griff 01-24-2017 05:58 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...-me-reflection

Brian Eno has some interesting ideas about Trump, sort of a hard reboot. His bit on Hillary is spot on, the continuation of decline...

Just imagine if Hillary Clinton had won and we’d been business as usual, the whole structure she’d inherited, the whole Clinton family myth. I don’t know that’s a future I would particularly want. It just seems that was grinding slowly to a halt, whereas now, with Trump, there’s a chance of a proper crash, and a chance to really rethink.”

sexobon 01-24-2017 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 980435)
Can one really bomb himself?

You've never heard of a suicide bomber?

Flint 01-25-2017 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 980436)
https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...-me-reflection

Brian Eno has some interesting ideas about Trump, sort of a hard reboot. His bit on Hillary is spot on, the continuation of decline...

Just imagine if Hillary Clinton had won and we’d been business as usual, the whole structure she’d inherited, the whole Clinton family myth. I don’t know that’s a future I would particularly want. It just seems that was grinding slowly to a halt, whereas now, with Trump, there’s a chance of a proper crash, and a chance to really rethink.”

This is the best way to think of things.

Like Undertoad's broken bone that sets harder.

But if we don't "set" the fracture in proper alignment, we'll always have that limp, that scar, that bad memory when we look in the mirror.

Undertoad 01-25-2017 12:40 PM

That having been said, Eno is imagining the reformation as he would like it to go. That is almost certainly wrong. It will go the way it goes, which is certainly not the way we picture it going, however that may be.

The Civil War, you don't set out thinking well, 620,000 people are going to die but the resulting nation will be amazingly strong and resilient and uniquely prepared for the future.

Gravdigr 01-25-2017 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 980267)
ie, the world population has increased.

It's like people really enjoy screwing.

Flint 01-25-2017 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 980486)
... Eno is imagining the reformation as he would like it to go. That is almost certainly wrong. It will go the way it goes, which is certainly not the way we picture it going, however that may be.

I believe this is what Peart means by his re-telling of the 'reed that doesn't break in the wind.' Yes, we don't break, but... "we can only grow the way the wind blows."

tw 01-25-2017 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 980440)
You've never heard of a suicide bomber?

Civilized countries drop big bombs from B-2s. Never realized that terrorists would improvise.

We never associated a kamikaze with shock and awe - until now.

Griff 01-26-2017 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 980481)
This is the best way to think of things.

Like Undertoad's broken bone that sets harder.

But if we don't "set" the fracture in proper alignment, we'll always have that limp, that scar, that bad memory when we look in the mirror.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 980486)
That having been said, Eno is imagining the reformation as he would like it to go. That is almost certainly wrong. It will go the way it goes, which is certainly not the way we picture it going, however that may be.

The Civil War, you don't set out thinking well, 620,000 people are going to die but the resulting nation will be amazingly strong and resilient and uniquely prepared for the future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 980489)
I believe this is what Peart means by his re-telling of the 'reed that doesn't break in the wind.' Yes, we don't break, but... "we can only grow the way the wind blows."

All spot on.