The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   March 4th, 2019 : Chicken Forest (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34127)

xoxoxoBruce 03-04-2019 10:10 PM

He said the hens pick a spot and tend to keep laying eggs in that same spot. What wasn't clear is if the same spot will be used by more than one bird.
I'd guess yes seeing the size of the clutch in a couple pictures because I doubt they would go long between sweeps.

Clodfobble 03-04-2019 10:13 PM

I pay about $10/dozen for duck eggs, and we go through about 3 dozen per month (mostly baking, plus the occasional crustless quiche.) I'm just happy they carry them at the huge Asian food store now, instead of me having to drive 30 minutes out of town to get them from the lady with the ducks.

xoxoxoBruce 03-04-2019 10:36 PM

Obviously you should get a few ducks, for free eggs, and something to keep you busy in your spare time. :lol2:

Undertoad 03-04-2019 10:39 PM

A horse-sized duck?

Clodfobble 03-04-2019 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1027442)
Obviously you should get a few ducks, for free eggs, and something to keep you busy in your spare time. [emoji38]2:

I considered it! But they're actually pretty hard to care for in a limited space, and it's a lot harder to keep them from flying away. :)

xoxoxoBruce 03-04-2019 11:01 PM

Yeah, my grandfather had ducks and turkeys free ranging in the yard, they used to terrorize me when I was little.
Oh, and duck and goose poop is natures WD-40.

You could cut your sleep down to one hour a day. :rolleyes:

Griff 03-05-2019 06:19 AM

I eat an egg every morning. My girls have started laying again so we're about to have an egg avalanche here. They don't have a fence so I guess we've got super-alpine eggs?

xoxoxoBruce 03-05-2019 08:34 AM

Super Appalachian or Super Pocono maybe. Hope they'll be gobbling the ticks in the spring.

Clodfobble 03-05-2019 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1027454)
I eat an egg every morning. My girls have started laying again so we're about to have an egg avalanche here. They don't have a fence so I guess we've got super-alpine eggs?

Please note for future reference: if you, Griff, begin any sentence with "my girls," I am going to initially assume you mean your daughters, which may render the second half of your sentence confusing at best and horrifying at worst.

Glinda 03-05-2019 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1027439)
He said the hens pick a spot and tend to keep laying eggs in that same spot. What wasn't clear is if the same spot will be used by more than one bird.

I'd guess yes seeing the size of the clutch in a couple pictures because I doubt they would go long between sweeps.

Chickens like to lay their eggs where eggs have already been laid. Presumably, the hens figure that if one bird already laid an egg here, it must be a pretty safe place. There are 12 nesting boxes in my coop. Invariably, at least half of those boxes will be empty, and I'll find 2-5 eggs in one or two of the boxes. This means that some hens will wait in line to use one nesting box, instead of using an empty one whenever they want.

It's a chicken thang. :rolleyes:

Flint 03-05-2019 01:26 PM

be careful around these things

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Chicken Attack

What happens when you attack a chicken in Skyrim?

Gravdigr 03-05-2019 02:58 PM

I played some game that had chickens roaming in the towns ya came to. I was killing the fuckers, because it was free food, and it made your health meter grow.

Later in the game, I came across two ginormous fucking chickens that took one look at me, attacked me, and killed me plumb to death. This happened a few times, then I played the game without killing any chickens. When I reached the ginormous chickens they took one look at me and treated me like I didn't exist.

I canNOT remember the name of that game.

Flint 03-05-2019 03:33 PM

Apparently chickens are pretty popular in video games.

Is it one of these?
What’s Up With Chickens and Video Games?
Fowl Play: Chickens in Video Games

Gravdigr 03-05-2019 04:40 PM

It wasn't a chicken video game. It was some quest-type game that just had chickens in the occasional town. The chickens were a minute part of the game and played no role in it. Other than the great chicken gods killing the shit outta ya.

Gravdigr 03-05-2019 04:43 PM

Thank you, Mr. Flint.

It was Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. I liked that game pretty much.

I read your post wrong. And incompletely.