The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Weird News (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16997)

Clodfobble 06-13-2008 01:18 PM

Oh my god, I love the Japanese. From the NY Times:

Quote:

Under a national law that came into effect two months ago, companies and local governments must now measure the waistlines of Japanese people between the ages of 40 and 74 as part of their annual checkups.

Those exceeding government limits — 33.5 inches for men and 35.4 inches for women, which are identical to thresholds established in 2005 for Japan by the International Diabetes Federation as an easy guideline for identifying health risks — and having a weight-related ailment will be given dieting guidance if after three months they do not lose weight. If necessary, those people will be steered toward further re-education after six more months.

...the government will impose financial penalties on companies and local governments that fail to meet specific targets.
Quote:

Yoichi Ogushi, a professor at Tokai University’s School of Medicine near Tokyo and an expert on public health, said that there was “no need at all” for the Japanese to lose weight.

“I don’t think the campaign will have any positive effect. Now if you did this in the United States, there would be benefits, since there are many Americans who weigh more than 100 kilograms,” or about 220 pounds, Mr. Ogushi said. “But the Japanese are so slender that they can’t afford to lose weight.”
Quote:

Still, at a city gym in Amagasaki recently, dozens of residents — few of whom appeared overweight — danced to the city’s anti-metabo song, which warned against trouser buttons popping and flying away, “pyun-pyun-pyun!”

“Goodbye, metabolic. Let’s get our checkups together. Go! Go! Go!

Goodbye, metabolic. Don’t wait till you get sick. No! No! No!”

Flint 06-13-2008 01:20 PM

I wish someobdy would do this for me.
I get things done when there's a deadline.

BigV 06-13-2008 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 462081)
I wish someobdy would do this for me.
I get things done when there's a deadline.

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." -- Douglas Adams

TheMercenary 06-13-2008 03:37 PM

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...81toilet1.html

Sundae 06-13-2008 03:55 PM

I'm weirded out by the lawsuit!
So they are apparently to blame for not informing patrons of the possibility that someone might decide to put glue on the toilet seat..?!?!

And I thought "May contain nuts" on nut products was ridiculous!

TheMercenary 06-13-2008 04:35 PM

Ain't Amerika Great!

Famous last words of a Red Neck, "Hey Bubba! Watch this!"

TheMercenary 06-13-2008 08:57 PM

More of a human interest story with a strange twist.

'I fell in love with a female assassin'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...in-791978.html

HungLikeJesus 06-17-2008 02:50 PM

footfootfoot, I read this and thought of you.

Fifth severed foot found on Canadian coast

Quote:

(CNN) -- A severed human foot was found washed up on an island on the western coast of Canada this week, the fifth detached foot found in the area in the past 11 months, according to local police and media reports.

The foot was found Monday on the shore of Westham Island south of Vancouver, according to Constable Sharlene Brooks of the Delta Police Department in British Columbia.

The severed left foot, which was in a shoe, was taken to a coroner for DNA tests, she added.

The foot was one of five found in area recently, she said.

"Our first step is to establish identity," Brooks said. "It is a little mysterious, but we don't know if it is linked to others."

According to the Vancouver Sun newspaper, the other four feet found in the area since August were right feet. ...

glatt 06-17-2008 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 463069)

:lol:

glatt 06-17-2008 02:55 PM

Isn't there an ocean currents guy who can trace those feet back to the shipping container that fell overboard in the Indian Ocean in a storm?

classicman 06-17-2008 03:49 PM

I lost a foot on 9/11.....

Flint 06-17-2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 463094)
I lost a foot on 9/11.....

You INSENSITIVE bastard! I have 9 toes on one foot and 11 on the other.

lumberjim 06-17-2008 04:04 PM

20 toes? what size shoes do you wear......?

or.....

so, you can count all the way up to 30?!

Aliantha 06-17-2008 08:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Angry puffer fish goes nuts
June 17, 2008 - 3:25PM

Attachment 18332
A puffer fish ... but this one's probably not enraged.

A Cambodian teenager was recovering in hospital after a puffer fish attacked him in the groin, local media reported on Tuesday.

The Khmer-language Koh Santepheap daily ran a picture of the unnamed 13-year-old in a hospital bed with heavy strapping around his testicles, saying he was lucky to be alive.

The paper quoted the boy's father, Sok Ly, as saying the fish had become enraged when it was accidentally trapped in the boy's net and, when it was freed, had attacked the boy's scrotum.

Cambodian legend has it that the bite of the fish is even more dangerous than its poisonous spines, especially for boys, and Cambodian boys are traditionally advised not to swim in waters where the fish is common.

The victim, from Prek Pneuv commune outside Phnom Penh, was expected to recover from yesterday's attack, the paper said, but the extent of the damage had yet to be determined.

Cicero 06-17-2008 08:34 PM

~snip~Fifth severed foot found on Canadian coast

"Our first step is to establish identity," ~snip~

lol! No pun intended!
:D

sweetwater 06-18-2008 08:41 AM

I think bears and wolves are manufacturing and setting leghold traps along hiking trails and scenic overlooks. Trapped humans are chewing off their feet to free themselves.

glatt 06-18-2008 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 463069)

Now there is a sixth foot that's been found!

HungLikeJesus 06-18-2008 03:44 PM

Six feet under?

dar512 06-18-2008 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 463471)
Six feet under?

or two yardsticks.

Undertoad 06-18-2008 05:29 PM

What race are the feet?

HungLikeJesus 06-18-2008 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 463491)
What race are the feet?

What ever race it was, I think they lost.

Aliantha 06-18-2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 463521)
What ever race it was, I think they lost.

Only by a foot though

classicman 06-18-2008 07:58 PM

not a nose?

Cicero 06-18-2008 08:10 PM

Not even a matching pair of feet yet, I bet.

This phenomena happens with my socks. :(

Undertoad 06-18-2008 08:46 PM

They were under toe'd.

HungLikeJesus 06-19-2008 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 463462)

It turns out the sixth foot was a hoax.

Warren Peas 06-19-2008 05:54 PM

Yep it's been reported as a faux pas, a mean feat if there ever was one.

glatt 06-20-2008 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 463071)
Isn't there an ocean currents guy who can trace those feet back to the shipping container that fell overboard in the Indian Ocean in a storm?

and from the article HLJ linked to:

Quote:

Curtis Ebbesmeyer, an expert on ocean currents, told The Sun a foot wearing a buoyant athletic shoe could float as far as 1,000 miles.

Cicero 06-20-2008 09:55 AM

This would be a great and sick, ad for nike athletic shoes.

zippyt 06-30-2008 02:22 AM

Dumb asses didn't know the difference between live ammo and Blanks !!!!
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/tro...677880713.html

Griff 06-30-2008 06:59 AM

Wow, that is some stupid shit. [teh] I went to a performance of Annie Get Your Gun a few nights ago and the actors kept cocking and pointing their weapons at the audience. [ghey]

Sundae 06-30-2008 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt (Post 465825)

That is a serious incident and not in any way amusing.
I LOL'd.

BigV 06-30-2008 11:26 AM

"Taking the 'go' out of gonads"
Quote:

Testicle bill dangles over Fla. legislators
Ban on trendy replicas on trucks: Good policy or anti-freedom?

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - They're proudly displayed by any self-respecting bull, but dangling big metal ones on the back end of a truck could be banned in Florida.

Metal replicas of bull testicles have become trendy bumper ornaments in some parts of the Sunshine State, but state Sen. Carey Baker is campaigning to ban the orbs.

Flint 06-30-2008 12:10 PM

You can't buy XP anymore.

glatt 06-30-2008 12:17 PM

Does that mean my computer is obsolete now and I need to get a new one?

TheMercenary 06-30-2008 12:39 PM

According to Microsoft, yes.

I hear Vista sucks, I am thinking of defecting to Apple MAC.

HungLikeJesus 06-30-2008 12:41 PM

I like Vista.

Flint 06-30-2008 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 465971)
I like Vista.

As long as it does what you need it to do, that's fine. For you.

But other people, like doctors trying to run a PACS web application to read X-rays remotely, are having the inability to do their job imposed on them. All they can do is hold on to their old PC, cross their fingers and wait for Windows 7. Oh, and hope Windows 7 isn't a piece of crap also.

xoxoxoBruce 07-01-2008 12:52 AM

Quote:

Dell, for one, has posted plans to continue selling Windows XP on some computers until June 2009, and HP has reportedly said the same thing. The equipment builders say they'll use a loophole that Microsoft offers to business customers to downgrade systems from Vista to XP. Dell and HP would make the switch before the computer ships, letting customers get a computer preloaded with the tried-and-true XP.

The switcheroo would help only customers willing to pay more for Vista's Business or Ultimate editions. That leaves out many PCs at retail, which often come with the Home versions installed.

But retailers might see slivers of light at the end of the tunnel. Microsoft could still change its mind if it heard a loud enough outcry about ending XP. Microsoft already extended XP's life once and could again, CEO Steve Ballmer told a group in Belgium late last week.

"If customer feedback varies, we can always wake up smarter," Ballmer said, according to Reuters. "But right now, we have a plan for end of life for new XP shipments."

Crimson Ghost 07-01-2008 01:24 AM

I'll just keep my OEM XP discs, thanks.

Crimson Ghost 07-04-2008 01:00 AM

Faceless 'aliens' spotted in crowd at Wimbledon

Faceless 'aliens' spotted in crowd at Wimbledon

By Alex Millson

With the blankest of blank expressions on their faces, these mysterious figures have been popping up in the most unlikely of places.

The faceless mutants have a penchant for A-list celebrity bashes and have been spotted at Elton John's White tie ball and Harrods summer sale, opened by Sex and the City star Kim Cattrall.

With a membrane of skin stretched tightly over their eyes, noses and mouths, the alien-like figures were most recently snapped 'watching' a match perched on Murray Mount at Wimbledon.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/...32_468x286.jpg Eerie: The faceless figures watch a spot of Wimbledon on Murray Mount.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/...45_468x286.jpg Court on camera: The pair sit in on a match, where most of the crowd are too absorbed by the game to notice them.

Close inspection of the pictures rules out an alien invasion - small perforations around the eye areas of the masks allow the people beneath to see the world outside.

But nobody knows who the faceless figures, who often appear as motionless couples are, or why they are turning up at high profile events.

Theories include the possibilities that they are limelight-seeking pranksters, performance artists or that they are at the centre of a viral marketing campaign for an as-yet unknown product of forthcoming horror film.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/...28_468x286.jpg Another faceless couple stand in the crowd at the start of Harrods summer sale.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/...02_468x286.jpg Craning his neck - but he won't see anything with skin stretched over his features.

Speculation has even arisen that the masks hide a pair of well-know faces, fed up with being harrassed by the paparazzi.

One blogger wrote on the Moue Magazine website: "They probably aren’t just random people off of the street.

"If it ends up being a pair of celebrities who have had it with being photographed all of the time and are staging a protest, I vow to support every project they appear on from now on.
"Whatever their purpose, I want to join them. And I have a new Halloween costume for this year."

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/...82_468x286.jpg Chauffeur: This faceless figure even has his own driver, fuelling speculation that the man behind the mask may be a celebrity himself.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/...07_470x288.jpg Close-up: Eye holes in the spooky mask allows the wearer to see what is going on around him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Wimbledon.html

zippyt 07-04-2008 03:59 PM

Beer saves the day ,
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/or...,5741974.story

Sundae 07-05-2008 11:31 AM

It's one of those classic modern-dilemmas/ down-the-pub questions really isn't it?
"Would you call the police if you found videos of your Mum having sex with a dog?"

Niiiiiice.

From here:
Quote:

By Johnny Johnson
The Oklahoman
TULSA — A woman who was charged with committing felony crimes against nature was arrested this morning after police were notified of more than 150 homemade movies of the Tulsa County woman engaging in various sex acts with dogs.

Donald Roy Seigfried, 55 and Diane Sue Whalen, 54, were charged with the crime, which deals with bestiality.

Whalen, 54, was arrested this morning and booked into the Tulsa County Jail.

Seigfried, whom police describe as her partner in the movie productions, was arrested and released on a $10,000 bond Tuesday.

Authorities were notified of the tapes after Whalen’s son accidentally stumbled onto one of the movies and then alerted the sheriff's department.

The tapes, along with three dogs -- a Labrador, a blue heeler and a mixed breed -- were also taken into custody. Bowman said his office is recommending that they be taken away from the suspects and be put down.
I have to admit this seems harsh though.

Clodfobble 07-05-2008 04:59 PM

I agree it's unfair to the dogs, but what realistically can happen to them? No one will knowingly adopt a dog that has effectively been trained to perform sex acts. So either they don't tell, which would probably get them sued, or they just keep the dogs forever at a shelter where they are already putting down animals every day for lack of space.

Sundae 07-05-2008 05:23 PM

I understand and agree it would be practically impossible to rehome them.
Which is why I didn't say it was disgusting, let's call PETA, let's petition the sheriff's office etc etc.

It's just unfair on the dogs, and a shame.
Still - they lived a good life in dog terms ;)

footfootfoot 07-05-2008 07:30 PM

Oh shit imagine the son's tormented memories for the rest of his fucking life:
"Hey Mom, can I have a sip of your soda/ bite of your sandwich?"
etc.etc. "did she just blow the dog before she kissed me goodnight?"
Some therapist is already shopping for his new maserati.

footfootfoot 07-05-2008 07:31 PM

Oh and HLJ thanks for the footx5 link, missed that.

footfootfoot 07-05-2008 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt (Post 465825)

Making fun of the French is like shooting fish in a barrel. Still, WTF?

TheMercenary 07-07-2008 01:39 PM

Show us your Bush.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusive...laura-bush.php

Flint 07-07-2008 01:53 PM

OMG what if they just adopted the sex-dogs without warning the new owners?

lookout123 07-07-2008 02:00 PM

hoooooney, where's the peanut butter?

Clodfobble 07-07-2008 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary
Show us your Bush.

Gawd, it's like... political slashfic. *hurk* People actually publish this crap?

BrianR 07-08-2008 09:50 AM

Man loses key to chastity belt, calls 999 (Brit 911)

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle1387737.ece

But what do you expect from The Sun???

xoxoxoBruce 07-08-2008 09:57 AM

Quote:

The crew spent nearly an hour using three high-powered machines to saw through the sex toy – as the man passed out.
To cut a goddamn padlock? WTF!

skysidhe 07-12-2008 11:38 AM

Manhattenhenge

For Manhattan, a place where evening matters more than morning, that special day comes on Thursday, May 29h this year, one of only two occasions when the Sun sets in exact alignment with the Manhattan grid, fully illuminating every single cross-street for the last fifteen minutes of daylight. The other day is Saturday, July 12th. These two days give you a photogenic view with half the Sun above and half the Sun below the horizon -- on the grid. The day after May 29th (Friday, May 30th), and the day before July 12 (Friday, July 11) will also give you Manhattanhenge moments, but instead you will see the entire ball of the Sun on the horizon -- on the grid. My personal preference is the half-Sun

http://www.newyorkology.com/archives...unsettyson.jpg

http://www.newyorkology.com/archives...tanhenge_4.php

xoxoxoBruce 07-12-2008 12:06 PM

Would you prefer step-sun? ;)

Cicero 07-12-2008 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 467029)
I agree it's unfair to the dogs, but what realistically can happen to them? No one will knowingly adopt a dog that has effectively been trained to perform sex acts. So either they don't tell, which would probably get them sued, or they just keep the dogs forever at a shelter where they are already putting down animals every day for lack of space.

I think there is a difference between being coerced into sex acts and being "trained" to do them.

That article makes me sick. Seriously.

I would adopt one! I am looking for a good dog, abused or not. I don't have to worry about a dog trying to hump my kid because I don't have any. If one is actually "trained" to do such things, it can be "trained" not to.

I would support putting the people down, and also support leaving the dogs alone. They've been messed with enough. That will be quite enough. I actually went to pet finder and found the Humane Society Tulsa page. The blue heeler listed looks like a good dog as far as I can tell.

Aaah. I think I'm pet sensitive or something. I have compassion for those dogs right now. If they were here I might actually request one, as this situation makes me sad, and I am already dog shopping. Abused animals can be really good pets. Things just didn't go right for them at first.

We don't put people down for being abused like that. Why treat dogs that way? All you have to do is tell people the odd behaviors of the abused animal before they adopt so they know what they are in for, and can make an informed decision, whether they want to deal with it or not. You don't have to say that the dog was coerced into sex, saying highly abused, exhibits these behaviors: a,b,c, would work. I'm kind of doubting that the dogs exhibit abnormal behavior (outside of signs of abuse that can be overcome) in the first place.

*Hey! Get down!Get off my leg! Bad dog!* That would probably be sufficient.

Well, I am doggy shopping, and I know whatever dog I get will be at least old enough to have been through one thing or the other already, whether I know of the thing or not. I am looking for a good dog at least 6 months old, and I don't think a human humping would effect my decision, as long as I could tell that it is a good dog. I'm stubborn though. I wouldn't even want to know about that really. If it has really bad behaviors, I would want to know. And that's what I usually ask about: the good behaviors and the bad behaviors.

skysidhe 07-13-2008 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 468616)
Would you prefer step-sun? ;)

um-no

I was thinking unusual news. lol @ step-sun.

Sundae 07-13-2008 06:28 AM

Sky that's beautiful.
Great find.

sweetwater 07-14-2008 10:11 AM

When I was working at the humane society we had several cases involving the so-called "party dogs". One idiot even told the interviewer that that was the reason he wanted to adopt the dog. I'm glad I was there to explain and nix it, because she did not know the term. The health dept mandated euthanasia for dogs used thus, and any other dogs in the residence, because of concerns over the zoonotic nature of brucellosis. It's a more extreme response along the lines of the 10 day quarantine for animals accused of biting a human whether or not the animal had been vaccinated for rabies or not. NOT fair to the animals, but the cause of "protecting citizens" often overrules milder solutions.