The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Happy Birthday! (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=6685)

xoxoxoBruce 11-09-2016 07:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
In Philly teachers start at $45,000.
In my more affluent suburb it $46,000, after you jump through these hoops.
Permanent refers to after five years.

captainhook455 11-09-2016 07:53 PM

I was a district produce mgr for Hanniford Brothers with 1 yr college. That was stressful, but it paid well. I would rather teach 35 rat babies than do that again.

tarheel

monster 11-09-2016 07:56 PM

@Bruce how does that relate to the median salary there, though? It's a little higher here, I think, but still too low to be doable as the main bread-winner salary.

monster 11-09-2016 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainhook455 (Post 973208)
I was a district produce mgr for Hanniford Brothers with 1 yr college. That was stressful, but it paid well. I would rather teach 35 rat babies than do that again.

tarheel

har. Our produce manager also has a PhD. In physics.

captainhook455 11-09-2016 08:16 PM

Gas is $2 gal, can buy land for $1000 acre, nice house and 15 acres for $185,000. Low land taxes. I have house and 2 acres for less than 800 yr. Education is the key here. Medical and government are the college jobs here. We are a service economy. Stores, car dealers, mechanic shops, restaurants, banks, lawyers etc. What do we make? Tortilla factory and some farmers. What do teachers make? You have to do some research. I am retired.

tarheel

xoxoxoBruce 11-09-2016 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 973209)
@Bruce how does that relate to the median salary there, though? It's a little higher here, I think, but still too low to be doable as the main bread-winner salary.

Quote:

Delaware County, Pennsylvania, sales tax rate is 6.00%. Income tax is 3.07%. The income per capita is $33,098, which includes all adults and children. The median household income is $64,242.

captainhook455 11-10-2016 07:32 AM

Opportunity awaits those with an education. Too many are allowed to drop out here. " He is an eight ball let him go." Then they work the fast food joints and clean condos at the beach for extra money. Drop out and the state won't issue a license until 21. School is easier than this. Home schooling for a check is the worst. In school you have 5 teachers for 5 subjects. Is the parent knowledgeable in all subjects to 12 th grade? Well a PhD might.

tarheel

DanaC 11-10-2016 03:10 PM

Oh I could probably get a job lecturing, with a starting salary roughly double my current one. But I'd likely have to either relocate or face a 2-3 hour commute each way - vacancies for a history lecturer with my focus aren't thick on the ground, so a job local enough to comfortably travel doesn't come up that often

There's massive competition for those that do come up - and people with both a PhD and a publishing portfolio are generally preferred.

There are post doctorals, but again, they're few and far between and highly competitive.

I have zero interest in teaching at a school.

I love history and I love doing research and I enjoyed my time teaching and lecturing alongside my studies, but there is something really nice about being able to go to work, get my teeth into something then come home and not have to think about the job or chase deadlines.

J, my best friend, has tenure as a senior lecturer at a university and he earns about 50-60k per annum. Which puts him into a higher tax bracket, and a higher student loan payback bracket. Sure - he can now take on a mortgage, with his and her earnings, but he works seriously long hours for it and has a 2.5 hour journey to work and back.

If you lecture at a uni you're expected to be involved in the academic community - seminars, conferences, events, staff meetings, special events, open days etc. The work follows you home in the form of marking and lesson planning, grant proposals and student emails.

Right now - I'm enjoying what I do and I am doing ok. Maybe it's a waste of the 9 years I spent working my way through bachelors, masters and doctorate - but I started out doing it for the journey rather than the destination and it was a really good experience.

lumberjim 11-10-2016 07:31 PM

You are the product of your journey. Ever changing and unique. Don't look back and second guess yourself.

Gravdigr 11-11-2016 08:18 AM

This thread has been messing wit my haid of late. I see the new post and think it's someone's b-day.

captainhook455 11-11-2016 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 973294)
This thread has been messing wit my haid of late. I see the new post and think it's someone's b-day.

Happy birthday to me.
Happy birthday to me.
Happy birthday da Hoook.
Happy birthday to me.

tarheel

DanaC 11-11-2016 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 973268)
You are the product of your journey. Ever changing and unique. Don't look back and second guess yourself.

Wise words, jim.

xoxoxoBruce 11-11-2016 04:14 PM

Happy Birthday Tarheel.

captainhook455 11-11-2016 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 973268)

Phucking A. Thats whats I told the doctor.

tarheel

xoxoxoBruce 11-11-2016 04:39 PM

Sounds like a sociopath view to me. Fuck the collateral damage, I'm OK. :eyebrow: