The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What DVD's are we Watching? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9293)

rkzenrage 10-25-2006 04:57 PM

I would rent, but I have a three-year-old.

dar512 10-26-2006 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluecuracao
Over The Hedge--The super-hyper Steve Carell-squirrel is very funny, especially at the end, when the Bruce Willis-racoon gives him caffeine.

Have you ever seen Iron Giant? There's a scene in there where the kid gets espresso. Very funny.

Happy Monkey 10-26-2006 10:26 AM

There's a similar scene in "Hoodwinked".

BigV 10-26-2006 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkzenrage
I would rent, but I have a three-year-old.

decided to purchase, store only had full screen not wide screen. didn't pull the trigger. I get to wait again, perhaps to rent only...

wolf 10-29-2006 12:10 PM

Find Me Guilty.

BigV 10-30-2006 09:40 AM

Watched Monster House (rented) three times. It was awesome. The motion capture techniques are off the scale in terms of realism. It easily stands on it's own from a dialog standpoint. I think the writers nailed the adolescent voice (even when it's cracking). The CG was outstanding, and the humor carried it. Enjoyed by everyone in the family.

Also watched Born Free. excellent, recommended.

Bush's Brain. A film that highlights the close, even intimate relationship between Karl Rove and George W Bush. There was considerable discussion about Rove's "dirty tricks" and his "hardball" political technique. None of which surprised me.

Deserted Station. A sparse, intriguing film from Iran, about a remote villiage and the people who live there and the "teacher" in the village. worth the rental.

North by Northwest. Hitchcock. Cary Grant. Eva Marie Saint. James Mason. It rocks.

The Sentinel. Michael Douglas, Keifer Sutherland, Kim Basinger, Eva Longoria. MrsV said will probably be a purchase. it was very entertaining.

skysidhe 10-30-2006 09:56 AM

Hard Candy (smart and unique )

She's the Man ( very funny!)

Failure To Launch. ( bleh )

Soon to see

Raging Bulls

Inside Man

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV
The Sentinel. Michael Douglas, Keifer Sutherland, Kim Basinger, Eva Longoria. MrsV said will probably be a purchase. it was very entertaining.

so The Sentinel was a good one huh? Il have to rent it.

bluecuracao 11-03-2006 02:12 AM

Saw these On Demand, but they are available on DVD...

Prime--Nice love story with the glowing Uma and an unknown, adorable 20-something. Cat snarfing a beer was a good moment.

Little Manhattan--Another good love story. Seems like a kid movie at first, but not really.

wolf 11-03-2006 08:54 AM

Legend of Zorro - better than expected for a sequel.

wolf 11-04-2006 02:15 PM

Proof

Not sure how I ran across this, other than the amazing magic recommender at Netflix must have thrown me a popup.

It's a 1991 Australian film starring Hugo Weaving and Russell Crowe.

I don't want to use words like "quirky" to describe it, because it's much more substantial than that. Hugo Weaving plays a blind photographer. The other characters include his housekeeper, who constantly rearranges his furniture, and his friend, who tells him what's in his pictures.

BigV 11-06-2006 06:21 PM

Purchased Winged Migration last night. To those of us who've had the "pleasant flying dream" this movie comes very very close. I haven't indulged in "the making of..." featurette, yet. But it promises to be interesting. :thumbsup:

reviewsite #1
reviewsite #2

BigV 11-06-2006 06:22 PM

Also purchased The Love Bug (nostalgic favorite) and Blue Planet. Haven't watched them yet. Or rewatched in Herbie's case.

Ibby 11-06-2006 09:19 PM

R30.

Rush's 30th birthday concert, amazing as ever.

skysidhe 11-07-2006 08:17 AM

The Skeleton Key

I havn't been spooked in a long time. This one spooked me ......briefly.:worried:

Ibby 11-11-2006 06:51 PM

Harold and Maude!

Hilarious.