The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Weird News (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16997)

Gravdigr 03-04-2016 03:05 PM

Is 'smartness' the same as 'intelligentness'?

xoxoxoBruce 03-04-2016 04:32 PM

It's a noun we don't hear often in this country, so it triggers a WTF.

'intelligentness' ain't a word. Well it is but it ain't a real word with a definition and creds.

Clodfobble 03-04-2016 07:57 PM

"Niggardly" is technically a word, too, but some words just sound like they shouldn't be said.

xoxoxoBruce 03-05-2016 12:13 AM

That's because of the whole politically correct racial thing though. Smartness is just lack of common usage.

infinite monkey 03-05-2016 08:58 AM

It's an example of word usage that irritates because of its unnecessariness. People use uncomfortable words in defiance of common sensiness so as to appear to have an air of extra-worldliness. Why? Dumbness, pure and simple stupidness. "Look at me! Hear ME! I am unrivaled in my unrivalriness!"

Cockness.

infinite monkey 03-05-2016 09:04 AM

Wow, in my attempt at humor I remind myself of a Sarah Palinness kind of moronness.

DanaC 03-05-2016 09:16 AM

Or, maybe they were brought up with a slightly different lexicon, or followed an academic subject in which such words have more currency and they've unconsciously included them in everyday speech.

Gravdigr 03-07-2016 01:56 PM

Lana Rae Meisner, Wife of Eagles Founder Randy Meisner, Killed

The incident earlier in the day makes this quite suspicious.

In my book, anyway. YMMV

Gravdigr 03-09-2016 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 954226)
Calling Big V, Calling Big V...

You aren't lighting farts up there, I hope?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 954230)
Not me, this time. Thanks for checking. It was just an inch or so away from me on the map, though. SERIOUS devastation.

V, what the hell is going on in Seattle?!?!

Another explosion?

It ain't safe, man, GTFO!

DanaC 03-09-2016 12:15 PM

Quote:

Colombian woman arrested at Frankfurt airport with 1kg of cocaine in her breasts
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ocaine-breasts

Gravdigr 03-09-2016 01:17 PM

24 years old, a kilo of blow...That girl is a catch!!

xoxoxoBruce 03-09-2016 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 955108)

The firemen had been there investigating a reported gas leak when it happened? Is that the fire department's job? I can see having them stand by, maybe even moving people out and keeping people out, but being at the explosion is nuts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 955109)

If I was running things no breast would go unsearched, mostly by me personally. :rolleyes:

Carruthers 03-10-2016 09:42 AM

Stuffed lions, chimp in a top hat stolen in $142,000 London taxidermy theft

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 55566

Quote:

Police in London are optimistic that the thieves behind an audacious recent heist will have a harder job than usual concealing the loot.

They've appealed to the public to keep their eyes peeled for the unconventional stolen goods -- a small zoo's worth of stuffed animals, including a chimpanzee in a top hat and necktie.

The 18 stuffed animals, worth about £100,000 ($142,000), were taken in a burglary at a taxidermy warehouse in the London borough of Wandsworth last week, the Metropolitan Police said in a statement.

The stolen items included lions, a giraffe, a zebra, a sloth, a crocodile, a rhinoceros, a baboon and a king penguin. Antiques, including a globe, were also taken, police said.
What on Earth possessed them to steal a stuffed giraffe and a chimp in a top hat?

They're hardly going to be able to shift that lot on Ebay, are they?

One for Inspector Clouseau, I think.

CNN

BigV 03-10-2016 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 955108)
V, what the hell is going on in Seattle?!?!

Another explosion?

It ain't safe, man, GTFO!

Yeah. That one was about five minutes walk from my house. I've posted pictures here at the cellar of that block. I might have even posted a picture of the bike shop adjacent to the now smoking crater where the three shops in the building next door used to be.

Here's the (youtube) audio of the MAYDAY call by Seattle Fire Department.

It is very scary at the start. Nine firemen sent to the hospital, all released by noon. No people in the apartments above the shops were harmed. I've shopped in all three of the businesses that are now gone.

Sundae 03-10-2016 11:30 AM

These people live in Stoke Mandeville.
I don't think I am disclosing anything private when I say this is the next village along the railway line to where Carruthers lives.

What has he been doing?!

Link to local paper.

Quote:

A deep hole complete with rusty steps leading down into the darkness has suddenly appeared on a front lawn – and the reason for it is a complete mystery.

The hole, which measures around two feet by two feet, appeared when Emma James was mowing the lawn at her home in Kynaston Avenue, Stoke Mandeville.