The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's mildly irritating you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16569)

footfootfoot 03-08-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 800328)
As Ben Franklin said, "Neither a landlord nor a tenant be." *

As Abe Lincoln once said, "The trouble with the internet is that you can never be sure about quotations being attributed to the right person."

HungLikeJesus 03-08-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 800468)
Headquarters, or henry quirk? :lol2:

You're quick. I didn't know if anyone would catch that.

Griff 03-09-2012 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 800487)
As Abe Lincoln once said, "The trouble with the internet telegraph is that you can never be sure about quotations shizzle being attributed to the right person muthafukker."

or that the quote is correct... Gotta use those primary sources dude!

Blueflare 03-09-2012 05:26 PM

I need somewhere I can sit and write properly. I use my laptop on my bed, but I think I'm causing muscular-skeletal problems. There's nowhere in my room to put a desk. Dining room table is a possibility, but only while my dad is out. I might not feel like writing then. Although... maybe that would be good for discipline.
I really need to move out. But to do that I need a job. But then I wouldn't have as much time for writing.
Oh, woe is me.

Aliantha 03-09-2012 05:33 PM

Why don't you get one of those lap top table things that can sit on your lap. That way you should be able to sit up straight even in bed and do your writing.

You could also get one of those TV dinner tables and an exercise ball to sit on. :)

Blueflare 03-10-2012 07:15 AM

Hmm, those kinds of tables all look expensive. They all seem to have a ton of bad reviews as well, it seems like you've got so spend a bit to get good quality. Thanks for the advice though.
I currently have the laptop on a stand I made out of a product called Knex, and that is on top of the cardboard box the laptop came in when I bought it. I reckon I could probably make a better stand than those that are available, if I put my mind to it. It would be fun to try, anyway.

ZenGum 03-10-2012 05:06 PM

Lying on the bed with the notebook computer on your lap is very likely to lead to back and wrist problems. [/voice of experience].

That is partly why they don't even call them laptops anymore.

First up I suggest a separate keyboard. $10-20. Your hands can be typing in a good position while the screen is at eye level.

Blueflare 03-10-2012 05:41 PM

No worries, I built myself a Knex table. I'm an engineering genius.

monster 03-10-2012 09:58 PM

beest built me a stand for my laptop -he used particle-board because he couldn't wrestle the knex/lego from the boys... i have a separate keyboard and mouse. i find that the most important thing for comfort. if you spend any money, it should be on that. use the built-ins when you're on the go only. i come home, plop the laptopn in the stand, plug in all the cables that are lying in wait and I'm good to go....
I'm saving up for a shift key.

Blueflare 03-11-2012 02:24 PM

I don't really see what would be good about having a separate keyboard and mouse. I don't want paraphernalia all over the place when I could just have the laptop. But hey, different strokes for different folks and all that.

zippyt 03-11-2012 02:51 PM

Lap tops are cool , but with a desk top you have MANY choices of different style keyboards and Mice(s) or track balls , or tablets

ZenGum 03-11-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueflare (Post 800983)
I don't really see what would be good about having a separate keyboard and mouse. I don't want paraphernalia all over the place when I could just have the laptop. But hey, different strokes for different folks and all that.

The screen should be at eye level.
The keyboard should allow your hand to be just above your lap.
Laptops just don't work that way. An external keyboard is necessary.
Your carpal tunnels and spinal discs may differ. Best of luck.

monster 03-11-2012 07:20 PM

......and touchpad scrolling is teh suxxor.

When you are old and shrivelled you body will remind you that you used to hunch over your laptop.

Griff 03-12-2012 05:18 AM

Bloody time change.

Blueflare 03-12-2012 11:50 AM

I don't hunch...
The keyboard is high now but I don't type continuously for ages. I type a bit, then read it. Maybe I've just adapted due to using a laptop from a fairly young age (had one since I was 18). Either way, a separate keyboard would be utterly impractical (nowhere to put it) and cause loads of problems when I don't have any problems at the moment.