The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   annoying sayings (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18459)

Nirvana 10-18-2008 10:19 PM

"Its All Good!"
Its never "all " good! LOL!

Juniper 10-18-2008 10:25 PM

My SIL's favorite saying, for almost everyone: "s/he's got issues."

What are issues, exactly?

Cloud 10-18-2008 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 495241)
Juni: and irony, don't forget irony.

Joe: Try "Dude, you are soooo fucked, I'm sure glad I'm not you."Don't forget to rub some salt in it!

I've tried that. It's often not well received.

can't imagine why . . .

Razzmatazz13 10-18-2008 10:50 PM

Along the lines of the comforting nonsense...

"Just remember, it could always be worse." especially if it's coupled with "at least you're not _________."

Yes, I realize that I'm not starving, or being murdered/beaten/taken advantage of/poor/dying/in poor health, but everyone has their own problems that feel like a big deal, even if they're not life-threatening!

Radar 10-18-2008 11:03 PM

It irks me when people say "same difference" or "I'm a Republican"

Juniper 10-19-2008 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razzmatazz13 (Post 495260)
Along the lines of the comforting nonsense...

"Just remember, it could always be worse." especially if it's coupled with "at least you're not _________."

Yes, I realize that I'm not starving, or being murdered/beaten/taken advantage of/poor/dying/in poor health, but everyone has their own problems that feel like a big deal, even if they're not life-threatening!

Oh, I'll say that about myself sometimes. "If this is the worst thing that happens to me today," I'll say, "I'm in pretty good shape."

Sundae 10-19-2008 06:13 AM

When things are going down the shitter, it does not comfort me in the slightest to know that one day things might be better. And I think it's a smug get-out from people who are not suffering to brush off your pain with those phrases.

The most remarkable thing anyone said to me when my first serious boyfriend walked out (literally, we were living together) was, "I'm sorry. It really hurts doesn't it?" Bizarrely it was the most comforting, because she looked me in the eye and said it with sympathy, rather than feeling embarrassed when confronted by emotion and obvious failure.

From that day on I've always tried to consider the situation, the person and the emotion rather than trotting out trite phrases. Of course this does sometimes mean I mouth platitudes - some people seem to need them. The only things I won't say are to do with God and angels and heaven because that would be hypocritical.

Sympathy and understanding are wonderful. With humour, even better. But for me, the cliches are most often used by people as a shield rather than a blanket.

A really petty one here from me, people who say "see you later" instead of goodbye on a phone call. No you won't see me later, you're working on a Helpline in Scotland - I am unlikely to even speak to you again, let alone see you. Pick, pick.

DanaC 10-19-2008 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar (Post 495263)
It irks me when people say "same difference" or "I'm a Republican"

lol.

That's a gem. Thanks Radar.

Treasenuak 10-20-2008 11:56 AM

If things are going down the shitter, I honestly prefer someone to tell me, "Yep. You're pretty fucked," then give me a trite, thoughtless, "It's not that bad, things will be ok".

Cicero 10-20-2008 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juniper (Post 495211)
I'm sorry, then - I am one of those annoying people who do say things like "everything happens for a reason," or "something good will come of it," because pollyanna that I am, I believe it. I can think of a few situations that are just flat-out awful beyond redemption, but most everyday problems do indeed have "silver linings."

When someone said something like that to me at the way wrong time, it was what she thought was the best outcome for her. Because she's a nutbag that was glad her ex was out of the way of her life finally, and she was now the person that gained the financial profit from the loss. The ex is dead and can't see the kid anymore and I can move on with my new boyfriend and all this cash!! Damn right she thought it was all for the best. Which is why I have the knee jerk.

The feeling of loss went:
Who are we to understand the mysterious works of god and question that now that it has worked out for the best for me? woo-hoo!! We are going to Disneyland! This works well because I lost my job as a child psychologist for trying to kill my own. Now I have been given all this money and don't have to worry about the ex visiting the kid so much.....It's "all for the best". You'll see. My boyfriend won't have to worry about the ex hanging around, and be uncomfortable anymore. No more daily visits! See ya sucker, thanks for the cash.:rolleyes: It's all for the best!

dar512 10-20-2008 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 495125)
Why do people say, "not to mention," and then they mention what ever it is?

"not to mention" translation: The previous argument is sufficient on its own. However, I now intend to give you additional reasons.

I don't have a problem with this one.

dar512 10-20-2008 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 495201)
Like the phrase "not inconsiderable": on the one hand it means the same as 'considerabe', but it has a different emphasis and tone.

I use "non-trivial" a lot. It's in the same boat.

Crimson Ghost 10-20-2008 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juniper (Post 495249)
My SIL's favorite saying, for almost everyone: "s/he's got issues."

What are issues, exactly?

Regular releases of printed media.
--------------------------------

How about "Can I ask you a question?"
Hey, schmuck, you just did.

Or, its cousin - "Can I ask a stupid question?"
"Like no one else I know."

dar512 10-20-2008 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Ghost (Post 495674)
Or, its cousin - "Can I ask a stupid question?"
"Like no one else I know."

Perfect response. I'll have to remember that one.

Cloud 10-20-2008 09:00 PM

"just out of curiosity . . . "

just ask the damn question. curiosity is self-evident.

"Wherefore, premises considered . . . " and other legal babbling bullshit.