The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What's the WORST song ever? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=6550)

dar512 08-16-2004 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad
That song makes much more sense when you find out it was originally a lullaby sung to her daughter, Maya Rudolph.

I think this is not the song you are thinking of. I'm fairly sure the song that SM hates is the Minnie Ripperton tune from the 70s.

Undertoad 08-16-2004 09:28 AM

And Maya Rudolph was Minnie Ripperton's daughter. Little piece of trivia I've hung onto.

marichiko 08-16-2004 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun_Sparkz
oh!!!

shock horror!!

John Denver is THE MAN!!

"Country Boy" rocks out over here! you might be taking it too seriously or something.. loosen up and enjoy! it rocks!! In the club, just past midnight, whack that on and watch the dance floor go wild! it rocks!! Its so funny!

And don't even get me started on "rocky mountain high", "country road" and "jet plane" and cant forget "feather bed" so much meaning for me its inexplicable!

And i've only been listening to his albums for 6 months after i inherited a bundle form my grandad, they are the best!

Differnt generation, different country, "At tempus, a mores!"

dar512 08-16-2004 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad
And Maya Rudolph was Minnie Ripperton's daughter. Little piece of trivia I've hung onto.

Ah. Now I see what you were saying.

Must have changed the lyrics for the album. Cause some of the lines are:

"Making Love with you is all I wanna do"

and

"And every time that we oooh I'm more in love with you"

jdbutler 08-16-2004 11:32 AM

How about that irritating "Tiny Bubbles (in my tub)"

lookout123 08-16-2004 01:08 PM

"worst" is so subjective that it is hard to throw one out that is really the worst. one that i equate with fingernails on a chalkboard though is Stairway to Heaven. i hate that song!

and close behind that you can list just about any other Led Zeppelin song. sorry, don't stone me.

wolf 08-16-2004 01:23 PM

Wind Beneath my Wings.

Oh, and that abomination from Titanic.

I was at a psychic faire all weekend. There was a motherfuckingsleazyloungeact piano guy there (who switched off with a harp player) who kept playing those two songs.

I nearly shot him.

Nearly.

lookout123 08-16-2004 01:27 PM

they only played those two songs?

if so, did you look for a camera to see if you were on that Mtv show Boiling Point ?

warch 08-16-2004 01:37 PM

Lookout! We seem opposites in every regard. Not that that is a bad thing, its getting eerie. I love any/all Zeppelin. Jimmy Page!

Now the Doors....any of those selections is a contender. Ick. LA Woman.

But my vote for all time worst..."Never Been to Me" by someone named Charlene.
She needs a good puck to the mouth. :)

perth 08-16-2004 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123
one that i equate with fingernails on a chalkboard though is Stairway to Heaven. i hate that song!

Good call. I used to like it actually, but there isn't a classic rock station in the area that doesn't play that song a hundred fucking times a day. and it's usually preceded by an Eagles song, which makes it that much worse. If you can get away with publicly proclaiming that you hate Led Zep, I imagine I can get away with professing my deep hatred of the Eagles.

lookout123 08-16-2004 01:43 PM

i have to be honest - there is very little, in the way of music, that i like from the 70's.

black sabbath (original line-up of course)
the misfits (any line up with glenn)

i can't think of much else.

wolf 08-16-2004 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123
they only played those two songs?

if so, did you look for a camera to see if you were on that Mtv show Boiling Point ?

It certainly seemed like he only played those two songs, but anyone familiar with sleazyloungeactpiano knows that everything they play sounds like those two songs.

(There was a brief respite when they didn't have enough drummers to accompany the belly dancers and so piano guy turned up the drum track on his keyboard to compensate for the three drummers they did find who suffered badly from "white man's disease".)

I never heard of Boiling Point, but probably would not be a good candidate, since I pretty much don't get there often. I take a lot of outrageous stuff pretty calmly.

ladysycamore 08-16-2004 02:06 PM

ANYthing by Eminem usually does it for me. Punk ass mother fucker. :mad2: :mad:

dar512 08-16-2004 02:08 PM

Let's differentiate. There is a difference between a truly horrendous song. and one that has merely been overplayed on the radio.

my standard radio rant

Radio is now a nearly complete monopoly. As much as I hate what Microsoft has done to the software industry, I hate clear channel more.

I know there is good music being made out there. It's a darn shame that all you can find on the radio is homogenized pap.

I only listen to NPR and talk stations lately.

end rant

perth 08-16-2004 02:19 PM

Our local public radio station has a couple decent music shows throughout the day and usually a good Jazz show in the evenings. I tend to find the stuff I end up buying by listening. I rarely switch to anything else anymore.

And you're splitting hairs. Overplayed is one of the key factors in determining *my* personal "worst song ever". :)