The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mosque at 51 Park Place, NY, NY (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23158)

piercehawkeye45 07-15-2010 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 670768)
WTF???
That's like saying no Christians can attend funerals because of the Westboro fuckers?!

You either have a Constitution or you don't.
If you guarantee rights and are justifiably proud that you did so WAY before any other country, then you have to stick to that, unpleasant incidents notwithstanding.

If you penalise New York dwelling American Muslims, tax paying, law abiding, family oriented people who came to America to live and worship in freedom then I have to ask what you have left to defend.

Penalize how? I do not support taking away their right to build a mosque near the WTC.

My stance on this topic is that it should be a non-issue. Unless they purposely built the mosque as close to the WTC as possible, I don't see this as an insult. On the other hand, I do believe it was in bad taste unless they had a good logical reason for building the mosque on that site, which they very well may.

It is similar to those guys who wore an American flag t-shirt on Cinco de Mayo. I don't see it as an insult to Mexican culture unless they purposely tried to make a statement, and it seemed like they weren't. On the other hand, even if they did wear that shirt on regular occasion, I still think it is in bad taste to wear it on that day. They have a right to wear it, just like these Muslims have a right to build the mosque there, but they both had to know it would start some controversy and many times it is better to just avoid those situations.

wolf 07-18-2010 04:34 PM

Would folks feel the same way if the situation were say ... a Christian Identity church being built around the corner from Auschwitz or the Holocaust Museum?

tw 07-18-2010 06:51 PM

Let's build Catholic Churches across the street from every nursury school, day care center, and elementary school. That is a greater threat than any Mosque.

Shawnee123 07-18-2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 671274)
Let's build Catholic Churches across the street from every nursury school, day care center, and elementary school. That is a greater threat than any Mosque.

Shhh, that's all secret. You're not supposed to bring that up.

tw 07-18-2010 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 671276)
Shhh, that's all secret. You're not supposed to bring that up.

That's what they kept telling the kids. Apparently it worked.

All those people in robes are a threat? In white robes in the deep south. In red and black robes in cathedrals. And in robes in the desert. Which proves the only good people wear blue jeans.

SamIam 07-18-2010 10:54 PM

Timothy McVeigh wore blue jeans. You can't trust anyone these days.

classicman 07-19-2010 07:37 AM

Bwahahaha! Good Point Sam!

Shawnee123 07-19-2010 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 671289)
That's what they kept telling the kids. Apparently it worked.

All those people in robes are a threat? In white robes in the deep south. In red and black robes in cathedrals. And in robes in the desert. Which proves the only good people wear blue jeans.

What about that reverend in blue jeans of the famous song? What? Huh? OH....it was FOREVER in blue jeans? Never mind. [/Emily Littela]

Shawnee123 07-19-2010 07:43 AM

I am unable to find one photo of Mr McVeigh in blue jeans, even googling Timothy McVeigh in blue jeans. There is, however, a lot of prison orange (post blow-up) and lots of military camouflage (pre blow-up). Just sayin'

SamIam 07-19-2010 09:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 671329)
I am unable to find one photo of Mr McVeigh in blue jeans, even googling Timothy McVeigh in blue jeans. There is, however, a lot of prison orange (post blow-up) and lots of military camouflage (pre blow-up). Just sayin'

Here you go:

Shawnee123 07-19-2010 10:02 AM

That's my neighbor guy, Woody!

Was Tim married? I had no idea!

SamIam 07-19-2010 10:09 AM

He looked just like the boy next door, didn't he? He never married - too busy building bombs, I guess. I still remember the day of the Oklahoma City bombing. The news came on the radio as I was driving to work. I heard about all those little kids in the day care center, and I started crying and had to pull off the road for a few minutes. :(

Happy Monkey 07-19-2010 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 671260)
Would folks feel the same way if the situation were say ... a Christian Identity church being built around the corner from Auschwitz or the Holocaust Museum?

Europe and the US are lousy with Christian churches, and the only reason there isn't one (if there isn't one) within two blocks of the Holocaust Museum is that it's surrounded by parks and Federal buildings.

Shawnee123 07-19-2010 10:56 AM

He's got what looks like a weddin' ring on. *shrug*

"I'm not sure that's Pete" or Tim. ;)

Very sad though. :(

glatt 07-19-2010 11:33 AM

McVeigh was a loser who repelled women. Maybe if he got laid once in a while, he wouldn't have been such an evil prick.