The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Have a Blessed day (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=20117)

Sundae 04-21-2009 03:32 PM

If she has blessings to bestow, perhaps she could bless me.

What's that?
I'm already blessed with beauty, brains and boobies?

You're right.
She can stick her spiritual sort of blessings up her blessed arse.

Trilby 04-21-2009 03:33 PM

I believe someone said "forgive 70 times unto 7" so that equal to 490 times to be forgiven. I probably ran out of forgiveness in my mid-twenties.

anyway - have a blessed day.

Aliantha 04-21-2009 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 558552)
I've been hearing 'have a blessed day' a lot lately here, too. I thought it was the, uh, culture change.

I wish, just once, a student would end our conversation with "you've been very helpful. Have a great fucking day!"

You should come and work over here. No one says have a blessed day. lol They might not tell you to have a great day, but you're almost certain to get a 'fuck' in there somewhere. ;)

Elspode 04-21-2009 05:57 PM

Would you have felt better, LJ, if she'd said "Blessed be"?

At least you'd have known she was a Pagan. Of course, Pagans virtually never say anything like that to someone unless they know them to be Pagan.

Pagans are the worst proselytizers on the planet. This is probably due to the fact that we don't get J&C Salvation Stamps with each blessing.

Elspode 04-21-2009 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 558710)
What's that?
I'm already blessed with beauty, brains and boobies?

Sweetie, if you were any more blessed with those things, you'd be required to start your own religion.

Shawnee123 04-21-2009 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 558770)
You should come and work over here. No one says have a blessed day. lol They might not tell you to have a great day, but you're almost certain to get a 'fuck' in there somewhere. ;)

And dammit, that's how it should be. :p

lumberjim 04-21-2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode (Post 558773)
Would you have felt better, LJ, if she'd said "Blessed be"?

I guess the issue I have with it is the obvious assumption that it's acceptable for her to dump her religiosity in my(everyone's) lap on her business voice-mail message. And the rest of the message sounds as though she is either aping other professional sounding messages she's heard, or she's reading it out of a handbook of some sort. And the whole time you can hear it building....to that.......have a blessed day bit.

I'm fucking tempted to post her phone number so you can hear it yourself.

PM me. damn.

Elspode 04-21-2009 09:33 PM

Oh, hey, I hate that shit, too. I wasn't disagreeing with you at all.

The best thought I can come up with in these cases is something like, "At least she didn't tell me to go fuck myself".

Trilby 04-21-2009 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode (Post 558894)
The best thought I can come up with in these cases is something like, "At least she didn't tell me to go fuck myself".

Yeah, but somehow "go fuck yourself!" sounds more sincere than "have a blessed day!" Blessed by what, exactly? That persons vengeful god? Their sick sense of superiority?

Don't mind me, kids. I've got my cynical shoes on.

Oh, what color are they? Jade!

SteveDallas 04-21-2009 10:19 PM

You jade!!!

monster 04-21-2009 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beestie (Post 558275)
Would someone kindly explain what the fuck a blessed day is exactly?

You get blessed a lot when suffering from seasonal allergies... not something I'd wish on most people, though

Crimson Ghost 04-22-2009 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beestie (Post 558275)
Would someone kindly explain what the fuck a blessed day is exactly?

It's when the saints name is in red on the calender.

xoxoxoBruce 04-22-2009 01:03 AM

New Orleans football calendar?

dar512 04-22-2009 02:59 PM

Assuming that the woman is not a hypocrite, believes in someone/something with the power to bless, and wants you to have this blessing, I can't see why anyone would be offended.

Is it that it comes in a religious context? Can't you accept it in the spirit it is given? Should anyone here be offended when Jim uses 'cock' in a message? Doesn't he expect us to take it in the spirit it was intended?

I don't understand all this anger over something that seems well-intentioned.

Trilby 04-22-2009 03:12 PM

I am a cynical jade. The "blessed day" smacks of Christianity to me.

Call me what you will but I am nothing if not sincere when I curse you. (and, truly I say, I curse none)

I just don't want a certain diety's blessing...so shoot me. or hang me...or make me do the "if she weighs the same as a duck..." thing.

oh, I WISH i weighed the same as a duck....

eta: when jim uses 'cock' in a message, i know he REALLY means it. saying "have a blessed day" is like saying "have a good day!"

cliche, cliche, cliche, and LAZY. Like, "I'm all saved and good and going to heaven and shit coz I blessed everyone!"

yeah. some people don't NEED blessings. they need something else.