The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Tuba, or not Tuba (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=31632)

xoxoxoBruce 01-27-2018 05:30 PM

Of course you did/do, but not many of up are brass musicians. :p:

Gravdigr 01-27-2018 05:36 PM

I've been told I have brass.

A lot of it.

xoxoxoBruce 02-14-2018 04:09 PM

Romantic...

xoxoxoBruce 03-28-2018 12:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't throw those old instruments out, recycle them...

xoxoxoBruce 03-28-2018 12:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
But be careful of the mean ones...

BigV 04-14-2018 09:34 PM

that is full bad-ass. I approve.

But, back to Tubas.

monster 04-14-2018 10:41 PM

Tuba or not Tuba ...Thunderboy's current dilemma. They have a lot of baritone/euphonium players but a dearth of Tubophonists. If he sticks with the bari, he might make it up to the next band for his senior year (unlikely imo because band teacher hates him). If he changes to Tuba, he's stuck at the lower level, but I think he'd enjoy it and maybe be less bored and distracted and his band teacher might like him more....

limey 04-15-2018 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1007074)
Tuba or not Tuba ...Thunderboy's current dilemma. They have a lot of baritone/euphonium players but a dearth of Tubophonists. If he sticks with the bari, he might make it up to the next band for his senior year (unlikely imo because band teacher hates him). If he changes to Tuba, he's stuck at the lower level, but I think he'd enjoy it and maybe be less bored and distracted and his band teacher might like him more....

There is something splendid about being the bass/base of the band. I don’t have a full grasp of US band orchestration, but unless you are lead euph or bari you’re kind of one of the chorus I expect. Bass (tuba) is a better instrument for someone who is more of an individualist, less likely to seek out the “safety in numbers” thing. Feel free to ask questions, or contact me directly for further discussion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

monster 04-15-2018 09:03 PM

He is first chair for the euphoniums.

limey 04-18-2018 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1007106)
He is first chair for the euphoniums.

Why is he considering moving to tuba? Has he been asked to? Does he want to be promoted to senior band for the kudos? Which band will have most of his band buddies in?

Sent by magick

monster 04-18-2018 05:48 PM

They need Tubas. He likes to be needed. He likes making deep noises. And big instruments. I'm really not sure. At this point, it's not a battle worth me getting involved with. Although not sure battle is the appropriate word...

limey 04-18-2018 06:12 PM

:tuba::tuba::tuba:
It is nice to be needed. And to make deep noises. Carrying (and storing) big instruments not so much, but YMMV.
Why the hell not, eh?
:tuba::tuba::tuba:

monster 04-18-2018 06:17 PM

ah well there's the beauty. They don't have to take them home or store them in the main. Big instruments are left at school. Because they play every day in class, they are not expected to practice in the evenings. Or own their own instruments. Only during summer did we have two baritones in the house (Marching and concert)

limey 04-19-2018 01:50 AM

Personally I'd go for the new experience in band. If he dissent enjoy it can be go back to bari?

Sent by magick

monster 04-19-2018 09:41 PM

no :( band teacher says no going back :/ guess they don't have enough instruments for all the bari players....

he had to share last year when his was being fixed because no spares anywhere in city