The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Faux News Blames the Dems, or Foley's Follies (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=11932)

Shawnee123 10-05-2006 11:55 AM

:bolt:

Elspode 10-05-2006 02:32 PM

Hey, it isn't like the guy got a heterosexual blow job in the Oval Office or anything. Lay off. Just a little harmless gay pedophilic fun.

Spexxvet 10-05-2006 02:33 PM

Yeah. It's not like those pages are old enough to vote, or anything...

Elspode 10-05-2006 02:36 PM

I think what you meant to say was, "It's not like those little Senate Pages have enough money to contribute to a political campaign or anything".

One vote is worthless. You have to buy them by the truckload.

BigV 10-05-2006 04:46 PM

Wait, wait, wait, waitaminit. Now it's his "responsibility".

Hastert takes responsibility, but won't step down
Quote:

House Speaker Dennis Hastert took responsibility Thursday for the growing page scandal but said he has done nothing wrong and is not a detriment to Republicans' efforts to keep control of Congress in the Nov. 7 election.

"The buck stops here," Hastert said at a press conference outside his office in Batavia, adding that he will let the numerous investigations determine whether anyone-including any of his aides-did anything wrong.
Hey, is it just me or does the new vogue "apology" and taking "responsibility" strike you as, well, hollow, to be charitable. With qualifiers like: "take[s] responsibility...but did nothing wrong". WTF?! Even the Pope does it. Sheesh.

Happy Monkey 10-05-2006 05:07 PM

:rolleyes:

Well that's OK, then. If the person responsible did nothing wrong, then nothing wrong was done! There's nothing to see here. Move along...

richlevy 10-05-2006 09:34 PM

Hastert wraps himself in the fag, er, flag

From here.

Quote:

More Foley Fallout

Editorial | Dennis Hastert, defender of the free world

If people criticize House Republican leaders for ignoring a possible child predator in their ranks, then the terrorists win?
That was the argument put forward Tuesday by Speaker J. Dennis Hastert (R., Ill.) on the Rush Limbaugh radio show. Hastert said the furor over disgraced former Rep. Mark Foley (R., Fla.) is fueled by reckless partisans who would embolden America's enemies.
The speaker said: "What we've tried to do as the Republican Party is make a better economy, protect this country against terrorism - and we've worked at it ever since 9/11, worked with the president on it - and there are some people that try to tear us down. We are the insulation to protect this country, and if they get to me it looks like they could affect our election as well."
Translation: This burly former wrestling coach with a blind spot for Internet predators on his leadership team is the only guy who stands between America and the jihadists.
As an example of wrapping yourself in the flag, it doesn't get much more pathetic or self-serving. Hastert's remark about "our election" bespeaks an arrogance of entitlement that Republicans vowed to eliminate in 1994 in their Contract with America.

Griff 10-06-2006 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV
Wait, wait, wait, waitaminit. Now it's his "responsibility".

Reminds me of Janet Reno and the Roasted Nuts.

Flint 10-06-2006 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint
Have the terrorists won?!

Jatt 10-06-2006 02:54 PM

Check out this clip of Congressman Tom Reynold's press conference on the whole Foley scandle. It's such an amazingly masterful political move that it's stunning:

Reynolds has Foley press conference surrounded by kids

I love how he refuses to send away his "supporters" when the journalists ask him to get the kids to leave. They can't even ask questions about the TOPIC OF THE CONFERENCE.

BigV 10-06-2006 05:12 PM

A little spin I heard from Hastert:

"We didn't know ... until Friday. Then the Republicans did something, and now he's (Foley) out of office." As if the Republicans removed him from office, in their defense of Truth, Justice and the American Way. It was really artful compared to the apoplectic hysterics from him earlier in the week.

Cracked me up.