The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gravdigr's Questions (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26547)

Sheldonrs 01-23-2014 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 890643)
That doesn't work. I change it to a smaller fraction, like 1/3 - 'resulting in one third of its mass'

It has to be 1/81st, surely?

Don't call him Shirley! :D

Gravdigr 01-27-2014 02:48 PM

***New Question***

If poison goes out of date, is it more, or, less poisonous?

And, yes, I know it will still be poison, more or less.

fargon 01-27-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 890607)
I don't know about that, but kids today say "one fourth" instead of "one quarter." At least in my hood. And I can see how that makes sense.

But you would think they would also say "one second" instead of "one half," but they don't. They're still saying "one half." "One second" might be confused with "one sixtieth" because there are sixty seconds in a minute, and sixty seconds in a degree.

I'd say 1/81 is "one eighty-first."

There are 60 seconds in a minute of angle, and 60 minutes in a degree.

Gravdigr 01-27-2014 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fargon (Post 891244)
...and 60 minutes in a degree.

Is this why time seems to stand still when it's really hot?

glatt 01-27-2014 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fargon (Post 891244)
There are 60 seconds in a minute of angle, and 60 minutes in a degree.

Or course you are right! Thanks for refreshing my memory on that.

orthodoc 01-28-2014 07:02 PM

Yes, 1/81 is 'one eighty-first'.

Re poison ... depends on the poison. Some break down and lose potency (but no one here would know about that, right?). Others remain lethal to the end. ;)

lumberjim 01-28-2014 07:39 PM

how about iocaine powder?

orthodoc 01-28-2014 07:46 PM

That requires slow, careful acclimatization, patience and appreciation needed; then you defeat the egotist (inconceivable!!) and win the Princess.

Spexxvet 01-29-2014 08:15 AM

thread drift: my favorite line, which was prescient

Quote:

You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...

Gravdigr 02-03-2014 12:47 PM

***New Question***

Why are circuit boards (especially the older ones) green?

infinite monkey 02-03-2014 01:59 PM

That's solder mask, protecting the circuitry (etched copper) from scratches and from solder wicking and shorts and corrosion. When producing circuit boards (I was QA supervisor at a high tech board manufacturer back in the day) the copper layer is etched into the circuitry pattern, then solder mask applied, then sent through a solder bath system with air knives to coat the exposed copper surfaces in solder, those surfaces being either through-hole or surface mount areas for components (typically a tin/lead alloy.) The mask prevents a big old mess of solder covered copper for that process.

That's it in a nutshell anyway. The green mask isn't always used: we made some boards coated in gold plating, and some the exposed laminate was left that way. Depends on the application and intricacy of the board. Don't know why green is the color, but when I worked in the industry it was all green.

tw 02-03-2014 11:40 PM

When working with circuit boards, you never get out of the shop. It's the only green you get to see.

Clodfobble 02-04-2014 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey
That's solder mask, protecting the circuitry (etched copper) from scratches and from solder wicking and shorts and corrosion. When producing circuit boards (I was QA supervisor at a high tech board manufacturer back in the day) the copper layer is etched into the circuitry pattern, then solder mask applied, then sent through a solder bath system with air knives to coat the exposed copper surfaces in solder, those surfaces being either through-hole or surface mount areas for components (typically a tin/lead alloy.) The mask prevents a big old mess of solder covered copper for that process.

That's it in a nutshell anyway. The green mask isn't always used: we made some boards coated in gold plating, and some the exposed laminate was left that way. Depends on the application and intricacy of the board. Don't know why green is the color, but when I worked in the industry it was all green.

Holy shit, infi. This post was amazing. I love it when I discover that someone is secretly an expert in something you wouldn't expect. Like classicman and mushrooms.

DanaC 02-04-2014 07:54 AM

Inf hides so many lights under a bushel it's damn near daylight under there :P

infinite monkey 02-04-2014 08:01 AM

Does my desperate lifestyle show when I say you two just made my day?

:blush: