The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do You Own a Gun? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13960)

Hyoi 04-24-2007 05:54 AM

Ruger Redhawk .44, Glock 21, .45 ACP. The former lies dormant mostly. Hand cannons aren't my bag. The latter is much more comfortable for range practice and more forgiving to reload errors. Hey......dat brass don't cheap, I'm toll'in' you, sha.

Kitsune 04-24-2007 06:37 AM

Handguns: .45, 9mm, .22
Rifles: .22 and 7.62x39 (a wonderfully clunky SKS)

Spexxvet 04-24-2007 07:47 AM

Do bb guns count? If they do, I have one. I've shot a .38 and .44 revolver.

rkzenrage 04-24-2007 04:03 PM

My rifles are a .30-06, my favorite hunting & all around rifle, and some others and I have a sniper rifle, which I love. I say "mine" but they are company owned.
I can say, with all truth, with no bragging, that I am an outstanding sniper. Something I love and a grand hobby.
I have always hating hunting and never enjoyed killing. I have only done it for pay and, then, only when it was needed for population control. (though I can say that the meat is exquisite when cooked well and I can cook)

BrianR 04-24-2007 09:03 PM

I own multiple guns, don't shoot as often as I used to but would like to get back into practice.
I do not specify makes or calibres due to security regulations at Chez Robinson.

They may or may not make the trip to Texas with me. Still to be decided.

SteveDallas 04-24-2007 09:20 PM

I don't, though Mrs. Dallas has made noise about doing some kind of target shooting before. I'm tempted to buy her an air rifle of some sort for her birthday, but I don't know of anywhere that would be good to shoot it. (Our yard, being kind of postage-stamp sized, and irregularly shaped at that, doesn't seem like a good candidate.)

Undertoad 04-24-2007 09:30 PM

There's no reason to fuck around, SD, talk to people at a real shooty range.

IMO, everyone should fire a handgun at a piece of paper for a while to see what it's really like.

TheMercenary 04-24-2007 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 337234)
I don't, though Mrs. Dallas has made noise about doing some kind of target shooting before. I'm tempted to buy her an air rifle of some sort for her birthday, but I don't know of anywhere that would be good to shoot it. (Our yard, being kind of postage-stamp sized, and irregularly shaped at that, doesn't seem like a good candidate.)

An air rifle is not going to save your ass.

I would recommend one of two courses of action.

!. Don't buy a gun and accept the fact that if you are ever accosted you will become some sort of statistic. That is a perfectly acceptable position to assume, the majority of people do it on a regular and daily basis.

2. Buy a gun, train with it, shoot it to stay proficient, take a formal handgun self defense course, and never point it at anything you are not willing to kill.

Radar 04-24-2007 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluecuracao (Post 336987)
Just curious--why?

For the best reason of all for having guns... to defend against a tyrannical government and to overthrow it when it becomes necessary.

Beestie 04-25-2007 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 337234)
I don't, though Mrs. Dallas has made noise about doing some kind of target shooting before.

I took SWMBO to the shooting range a while back. I told her that I didn't mind so much that she doesn't want one but that not knowing how to load/find the safety/aim/shoot a variety of handguns was not acceptable. A few people from DC were there enjoying some of the freedoms that citizens of Virginia take for granted.

Beestie 04-25-2007 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluecuracao (Post 336987)
Just curious--why?

Several reasons:

So, like Radar said, we can protect ourselves from our own government;
Just in case our government ever says we can't; and lastly,
If you were playing Dr. Evil and spinning the globe around deciding which country to invade, would you pick the United States? :headshake

TheMercenary 04-25-2007 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beestie (Post 337294)
I took SWMBO

I love it!

We use that. :D

DucksNuts 04-25-2007 01:01 AM

An under/over shotgun called Bess and a Stainless Browning 308.

Kitsune 04-25-2007 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar (Post 337252)
For the best reason of all for having guns... to defend against a tyrannical government and to overthrow it when it becomes necessary.

No offense on this comment or anything, but does anyone really buy this, anymore? The citizens of this country? Standing up against the government? People don't even protest, anymore, much less take action on anything. Tyranny would be introduced like boiling a frog and not so suddenly that would cause anyone to actually notice and take arms. Should the government ever get around to repealing the second amendment, we'll have lost so many other freedoms and be so brainwashed that we'll probably gladly hand them over when the knock comes at the door.

Spexxvet 04-25-2007 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 337244)
...!. Don't buy a gun and accept the fact that if you are ever accosted you will become some sort of statistic...

What statistic are you insinuating.