The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Am I the Most Pathetic New Year's Celebrant Out There? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=2606)

Elspode 12-31-2017 10:58 PM

Just posting again to mark my fifteen year anniversary on Teh Cellar. Fifteen...fucking...years.

You guys are teh awesome.

BigV 12-31-2017 11:09 PM

backatcha!

as to the title of the thread... no.

We like to take our new years' self portrait/toast/kiss when the clock strikes 9 o'clock... on the east coast, then go to bed.

limey 01-01-2018 03:53 AM

We were in bed by 11 in Bukhara and listened to the locals passing in cars and on foot to be with their nearest and dearest for midnight. We are sure we heard the sound of houses voices at one point.
Midnight was marked by the sound of fireworks and we fell asleep soon after.
Our travelling companion (we have had one for the first three days of the tour) was our and about at midnight and reported that all partying had died down by 1am.
Happy New Year, by the way!
[emoji898][emoji898]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Griff 01-01-2018 08:27 AM

No camp out for us this New Years so: Hockey, Letterkenny, and American Vandal followed by some Bernard Cornwell.

Squawk 01-22-2018 07:18 AM

I almost won the prize this NYE. I was about to leave my flat at around 7.30pm when I found the lock had seized on my front door and I couldn't get out. Fortunately I remembered I had a pair of mole grips in one of my four tool boxes, so I tried to turn the knob with them. It turned, but didn't open the latch. Shit. Then I thought I would unscrew the fixing on the door frame, but the screws were covered in paint. Ah! I'll hammer a screwdriver into the screw heads so I can turn them. Shit, my sister's got my hammer. Ah! I've got a lump hammer I found in a park bin at work! But no luck bashing off the paint, and back to square one. I was now thinking, how am I going to get a locksmith out on New Year's Eve? Also, it's going to cost me a fortune. Then I tried unscrewing the four screws on the lock itself, but it was still wedged between the catch and the outside lock barrel. Then I remembered I also had a swan neck wrecking bar I'd found in the same park bin, and was finally able to lever off the lock and escape from my flat. And go to the party!

xoxoxoBruce 01-22-2018 09:42 AM

That ain't close to pathetic, that was an adventure and you got a story that people won't mind hearing over again every new years when you get all drunk and reminiscing. :lol:

So you went out and left the door unsecured? I leave my door unlocked every night hoping for a rapist, but (sigh) no luck yet. ;)

Carruthers 01-22-2018 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squawk (Post 1002676)
Fortunately I remembered I had a pair of mole grips in one of my four tool boxes, so I tried to turn the knob with them.

I recall a deeply philosophical discussion somewhere on the Cellar about the exact nature of mole grips.

I suppose the underlying proposition was 'I grip, therefore I am'.

Gravdigr 01-22-2018 01:05 PM

Ah yes, the ol' 'Is mole grips hand tools?' event.

I remember it well.:rolleyes:

Squawk 01-23-2018 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1002677)
That ain't close to pathetic, that was an adventure and you got a story that people won't mind hearing over again every new years when you get all drunk and reminiscing. :lol:

So you went out and left the door unsecured? I leave my door unlocked every night hoping for a rapist, but (sigh) no luck yet. ;)

Yes I suppose it is a good story :) I share the main front door with the flat upstairs, and we both have our own inner doors. I messaged the upstairs neighbours to let them know. All anyone could have nicked was the junk mail in the hallway, and fortunately I live in a pretty safe area as well. I took the lock into work the day after New Year's Day and a workmate fixed it for me, so all's well that ends well.

xoxoxoBruce 01-23-2018 01:16 AM

Excellent, didn't even need new keys. :thumb:

Diaphone Jim 01-23-2018 11:49 AM

Mole grips? Lump hammer? Swan neck wrecking bar?
By their tools ye shall know them.
Pathetic!

Undertoad 01-23-2018 11:51 AM

I like mole sauce tho

fargon 01-23-2018 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim (Post 1002728)
Pathetic!

Must be sum of dat furrin talkin.
Mole grip is just another name for Vice Grip.

Squawk 01-23-2018 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim (Post 1002728)
Pathetic!

Well I used to have a works Stihl MS 260 chainsaw in my kitchen, but I had to give that back.

Griff 01-23-2018 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1002729)
I like mole sauce tho

Prepare one medium sized sustainably harvested mole...