The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   RIP, famous person (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=24383)

Gravdigr 08-14-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt (Post 907061)
I have heard this befor , RIP Sir , you were one of the good ones

Great minds...

xoxoxoBruce 08-14-2014 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 907114)
Great minds...

Or a couple of rednecks... :stickpoke

Gravdigr 08-14-2014 02:02 PM

Guilty.

Just smile when ya say it.

:D

xoxoxoBruce 08-14-2014 02:10 PM

Yes master.
http://cellar.org/2014/groucho.gif

Gravdigr 08-19-2014 02:56 PM

Don Pardo, NBC announcer, SNL announcer for all but one year is dead at 96.

I remember him more the sign off at the end of each SNL. "This is Don Pardo speaking." And, after that, occasionally, you'd get the sly, just-a-little-drawn-out "Good niiiight".

Only two people ever had a lifetime contract w/NBC, Bob Hope, and Don Pardo.

Sheldonrs 08-20-2014 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 907560)
...Only two people ever had a lifetime contract w/NBC, Bob Hope, and Don Pardo.

And they are both dead. Coincidence?

Spexxvet 08-20-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 907004)
Did 26 hours in the last 2 days.

Man, you are too busy to be depressed. My worst times are during down times. No pun intended.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 907102)
I am still of the mind that suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness.

Is it really any more selfish than divorce?

Gravdigr 08-20-2014 02:53 PM

By a damn sight, I'd say.

But, then, I've never been divorced.

Or married.

monster 08-20-2014 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 907629)

Since when is divorce selfish? IME it generally brings relief to more than it brings distress.....

orthodoc 08-20-2014 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt (Post 907061)
I have heard this befor , RIP Sir , you were one of the good ones

You hit the nail on the head, zippyt. That quote about the famous clown Pagliacci is in every text on depression. Rightly so.

I can't comment more on suicide than I did in another thread ... all I know is that, sometimes, the compulsion is virtually irresistible. It's a horrible thing. I will never regard it as selfish, only as tragic.

orthodoc 08-20-2014 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 907629)

Sometimes divorce saves lives. An abused spouse gets out before being killed, and may take the minor children so that they don't have to be subjected to further abuse or watch a parent's death. Is that selfish?

And how is it that you are comparing suicide with divorce as a function of selfishness? Do you not see either tragedy in any other way?

monster 08-20-2014 09:42 PM

Maybe his wife has filed and he thinks she's being selfish? :rolleyes:

xoxoxoBruce 08-21-2014 01:20 AM

YMMV, your mileage may vary, when it comes to divorce... and most other of life's potholes.

DanaC 08-21-2014 04:48 AM

For some people, suicide is a deeply selfless act. If depression has convinced them that they are a burden on their family, that the world would be a better place without them in it. For some it is less a case of life is not worth living so much as they are not worthy of life; or that their death will bring peace or a lessening of trouble to thier family.

Depression does seriously weird things to a person's perceptions of the world and their place in it.

Suicide can be selfish - fear of the horror of a debilitating illness, inability to see a way forward from the point that they are at, the yawning howl of bleak nothingness opening up in front of them. That kind of tunnel vision that doesn't allow you to see to the side of you, but just straight ahead along a path that can only end one way. But we are all selfish at times- it comes from having a self.

Sundae 08-21-2014 05:58 AM

James Alexander Gordon.
Read the football scores for 40 years. I think most people in Britain over 30 heard his voice at least from time to time. And many of us (especially those with parents who did the Pools) heard him every week for our whole childhood.

His was a beautifully modulated voice, even in ordinary conversation. And his reading of the scores was a masterpiece of controlled oratory. In a time before mobile phones, satellite TV, immediate communication between cities even 20 miles apart he was so important. Even after all of those became the norm, people would press their radios to their ears, listen on their iPods, tune in on the radio in the coach on the way home just to hear the comforting sounds in his voice and the scores all across the country.

JAG RIP. A true gent and master of the airways.