The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's mildly irritating you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16569)

ZenGum 04-25-2013 08:39 AM

It was ten dollars, but I got it for seven - a saving of three dollars.

My savings are in a bank account.

"A savings is" indeed. Harrumph. You might as well say "a Lego".

infinite monkey 04-25-2013 08:41 AM

Or maths. :cool:

footfootfoot 04-25-2013 08:56 AM

Or rewrite the sentence, "It was ten dollars, but I got it for seven, saving three dollars."
A savings of two words! ;)

chrisinhouston 04-25-2013 09:17 AM

We are in the middle of our kitchen redo and had already decided to replace the stove cooktop but keep the GE double oven which is 12 years old but seemed to be working fine.... then it died.

On the good side, it allows me to redesign the cabinets I am going to build to take a wider 30 inch model, I just wasn't expecting to have to shell out another $2400 or so for new ovens. :thepain:

glatt 04-25-2013 09:36 AM

It can be repaired for a fraction of that if you like it. If you lived in this area, I could give you the number of a fantastic appliance repair guy. But if you're looking for an excuse to upgrade...

chrisinhouston 04-25-2013 09:41 AM

Actually, I had it looked at once before when it did this and it will cost about $600 to replace 2 components. Last time the guy said he could do a work around but if it gave the error code F7 it would mean it was toast. It actually worked for 5 more years after he fixed it.

I figure it's not worth putting $600 into a 12 year old appliance. And as I do all the cooking I would prefer a wider oven, even with a double oven it's a challenge to do a big family holiday meal with the narrow model we have.

infinite monkey 04-25-2013 09:44 AM

If you do your maths right you may be able to incur a savings of up to 6 to 800 dollars.

Clodfobble 04-25-2013 09:55 AM

But his new oven will be up to 30 inches or more!

infinite monkey 04-25-2013 09:58 AM

'zactly!

And I'd forgotten the 'up to.' It's the 'up to' that really sets the stage when you're imagining your saving(s).

What are the increments of saving? If you save a penny, do you have A saving? If you save 2 pennies, then your savings is more than one?

footfootfoot 04-25-2013 10:10 AM

From E.B. White's Elements of Style, quoting Mencken (I think)

"Are there any news?"
"Not a new."

Mencken felt that since news had an S at the end it must be plural. The reporter he asked ran with it.

infinite monkey 04-25-2013 10:21 AM

Look THAT up in your Funk & Wagnalls!

morethanpretty 04-25-2013 10:24 AM

So the rescue lady asked that I write a letter to her and the board about why I'm good for Toby. I sent it last night and she texted saying she would try to read it today, but "some time must pass." What? How much more time needs to pass? I feel like she's putting me through the ringer just to say no.

footfootfoot 04-25-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morethanpretty (Post 862543)
So the rescue lady asked that I write a letter to her and the board about why I'm good for Toby. I sent it last night and she texted saying she would try to read it today, but "some time must pass." What? How much more time needs to pass? I feel like she's putting me through the ringer just to say no.

Sounds like it. There are some folks who just like to be in a power/control position. There are others who care for the dogs. I hope it is the latter.

xoxoxoBruce 04-25-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisinhouston (Post 862525)
And as I do all the cooking I would prefer a wider oven, even with a double oven it's a challenge to do a big family holiday meal with the narrow model we have.

Good move, sometimes it's hard to locate children small enough for that old oven, especially during the holidays. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by morethanpretty (Post 862543)
I feel like she's putting me through the ringer just to say no.

Send her a note:
Dear Resue Lady,
I forgot to mention the dog ran away.
-----------------------Bub Bye, MTP
:haha:

morethanpretty 04-25-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce;862584

Send her a note:
Dear Resue Lady,
I forgot to mention the dog ran away.
[COLOR="White"