The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   good music on youtube (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13372)

Undertoad 12-10-2016 11:17 AM

SECRETS OF THE SONGS: "Wichita Lineman" is a simple song, why is it so haunting and effective? One reason is because it starts with an intro of a pleasant little F chord... and then NEVER RETURNS TO IT! It wanders through different musical places, trying to get back, but it never does, and then it fades. That's pretty weird for a simple pop song, but consider this... it's the lonely lineman on the road, wistfully thinking of the pleasant chord at home.

Griff 12-10-2016 12:03 PM

More reason to love that.

Wait? The Nickel Creek kids are adults now? We saw them a long time ago at a local hockey rink.

Gravdigr 12-10-2016 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 976020)
SECRETS OF THE SONGS: "Wichita Lineman" is a simple song, why is it so haunting and effective? One reason is because it starts with an intro of a pleasant little F chord... and then NEVER RETURNS TO IT! It wanders through different musical places, trying to get back, but it never does, and then it fades. That's pretty weird for a simple pop song, but consider this... it's the lonely lineman on the road, wistfully thinking of the pleasant chord at home.

From This Day In History Nov 30, 1968:

Quote:

1968 - Glen Campbell started a five-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Wichita Lineman.' Jimmy Webb's inspiration for the lyrics came while driving through Washita County in northern Oklahoma. Webb was driving through an endless litany of telephone poles, each looking exactly the same as the last. Then, in the distance, he noticed the silhouette of a solitary lineman atop a pole. Webb then "put himself atop that pole and put that phone in his hand" as he considered what the lineman was saying into the receiver.

BigV 12-11-2016 12:06 PM

Legit as fuck

BTW, you gotta have a tiny desk to make room for a band that big

PS. Thank you.

Gravdigr 12-11-2016 02:28 PM

Not quite safe for work, lots of near misses, but only one bleeped dirty word at the very end:

BigV 12-12-2016 12:52 PM

Quite.

Don't think I missed any entendres.

Griff 12-17-2016 08:21 AM

Trampled by Turtles : Codeine

I'd say more like cocaine, dem licks!

BigV 12-17-2016 08:59 PM

Chock a block full of the best music, but this article is for reading mainly

http://www.hindustantimes.com/brunch...grc7iTZYP.html

The "would-you-believe-it" Hindustan Times. (WTF?) has an excellent article about the newly released album by the Rolling Stones. Here's just the epigraph. Fuck you 2016

Quote:

Tailpiece: It’s been a horrid year, 2016. We lost so many great musicians: David Bowie, Prince, Leonard Cohen, Merle Haggard, Phife Dawg, Sharon Jones, Leon Russell… to name just a few. Some, such as Bowie and Cohen, left soon after giving us their last albums, brilliant ones. It is heartening, therefore, to hear that none other than the man whose name is synonymous with “rock ‘n’ roll” is not only alive and kicking but will give us a new album soon. Chuck Berry, who is 90, will release a new album in 2017. It will be called Chuck. I can’t wait. Long live rock ‘n’ roll!

From HT Brunch, December 18, 2016

BigV 12-17-2016 10:16 PM

Men With Banjos Who Know How To Use Them.

Man, I love this song, Foggy Mountain Breakdown

be-bop 12-22-2016 03:41 AM

The video is pretty naff but I love the song, very good for a cover

Snakeadelic 12-25-2016 09:22 AM

Hope this works! This number had to be left off the official DVD release due to a music rights conflict. I will never not laugh myself fuzzy!

Well, it didn't work when I tried to play the video thru the post link. Search string for this is 'Vincent Price Muppets You've Got A Friend' and it is HILARIOUS.

Snakeadelic 12-25-2016 09:26 AM

Also, keeping in mind that live footage often has crappy sound, just about anything by Robin Trower, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, and The Reverend Horton Heat (explicit lyrics warning on The Rev--if Weird Al had a drunk uncle from Texas, it would be The Rev).

xoxoxoBruce 12-25-2016 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snakeadelic (Post 977327)
Hope this works! This number had to be left off the official DVD release due to a music rights conflict. I will never not laugh myself fuzzy!

Well, it didn't work when I tried to play the video thru the post link. Search string for this is 'Vincent Price Muppets You've Got A Friend' and it is HILARIOUS.

Pico and ME 01-01-2017 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snakeadelic (Post 977327)

Awww, thats a treasure. Vincent Price is so awesome!

Undertoad 01-01-2017 10:50 PM

This particular software, you have to pluck out just a part of the YouTube link

Like if the link is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_uuECBtO80

you put the "M_uuECBtO80" bit between [ youtube ] and [ /youtube ] tags.

Gravdigr 01-18-2017 01:22 PM

Bob Seger's song about the passing (1 year ago today) of Glenn Frey, "Glenn Song":

Don't know if this is an official video, or just something a JD Ryan threw together.

fargon 01-18-2017 03:42 PM

They took it back.

Undertoad 01-18-2017 05:51 PM

Nat Johnson - Dog

If I had a dog, I'd call him to me
And we would forget about work and everything

And I would run and he would run
And I would call and he would come

If I had a dog, I'd tell him my name
And we would forget about money and everything

And I would throw and he would go
And I would talk and he would know

It's important to walk
There are friends yet to meet
My dog says "Forget about it!"
My dog says "Let's run in the woods"

I will run and he will run
I will call and he will come

A simple childlike song is grounds for hidden depth.

She's a poet, so you will notice how she changes "I would run" to "I will run" by the end. Craft!

"I would call and he would come" - the obvious choice of words, becomes, "I would talk and he would know" ... wow ...

And she's a poet, so this may not actually be about a potential canine. It can be about a potential mate, or a potential state of mind, or a potential potential.

Gravdigr 01-19-2017 01:44 PM

The other night I heard Mahogany Rush. On the radio. "King Bee". Live, no less.

I don't think this is the version I heard, but, it'll do.:devil:

Undertoad 01-19-2017 02:20 PM

Can't escape this Nat Johnson. I found out she wrote "Dog" after watching dogs being walked in a park in Sheffield... about a mile from where I lived while I was there... so naturally I was drawn to it...

Nat Johnson - "Not Now, Horse"

I put this here knowing nobody will listen to it, because it's pretty serious stuff. It is the kind of thing where, if you put in the time and digest it, the song is amazing. But getting to that point is hard work, it's not a simple song.

(The video is just her, at various points in Sheffield.)

Her lyrics are absolutely poetry. I mean, this is a poem set to music. Not an easy poem. it is top-notch, Dana-level work. This is what serious artists do... here we go:

"Not Now, Horse"

Swallowed flies escalate horseward
Not now, horse; be saddled or be swept away on a lungful of the cold dawn air, heavy, neighing cloud!

Little turnips grow. Leave them alone
Do not dig; their enormity is all a myth
Let them sleep in earth, as we all must do, when all your dirty dramas are as still as you

Sink your withering words without sound in the shallows
Let me throw your voice to the nesting sparrows
Be silent now – it’s almost dark enough to hear all those songs you forgot to love

Finish what you’ve begun, leaving things badly drawn
Light arrives from the sun, a billion babies born
As, thighbones high, we wade out and out and out and out
Until we become nothing...

...And are everything, things we’ve never seen
We breathe out at last, we breathe out at last

She starts by guiding a horse and by the end she is instructing herself, or all of us;

Maybe if we give up all our dramas, we are born into a new dawn; and can finally see our own breath, like a neighing cloud, in the cold dawn air.

"it’s almost dark enough to hear all those songs you forgot to love" -- wow sometimes a line will just stand, wonderful all by itself.

Undertoad 01-19-2017 03:24 PM

Oh yeh and the last half of "Not Now, Horse" includes a brass band. It's gorgeous.

BigV 01-27-2017 12:16 AM

Her objection at ~1:30 to Dad's singing the lyric about the possibility of others being bigger/stronger/smarter gets me Every. Time.

Priceless.

Gravdigr 01-27-2017 08:32 AM

That was pretty cool.

That little girl can already sing better than most people who think they can sing.

:devil:

Started m'day off right for a change.:D

Griff 01-30-2017 07:30 PM

BigV 01-30-2017 08:00 PM

triiipin'

zippyt 01-30-2017 10:06 PM

The Mavrics

Undertoad 01-31-2017 07:52 AM

How am I so late getting to this great tune from 1990.

It's like the best Travelling Wilbury's song ever.

Put the message in the box
Put the box into the car
Drive the car around the world
Until you get heard

glatt 01-31-2017 08:36 AM

Yeah, that's a good one. That got played a lot in our house. Credit entirely to my wife.

A year or two ago, we noticed that World Party had continued making albums for a while after we stopped following them, and one of them was actually pretty good.

BigV 01-31-2017 10:02 PM

Griff 02-02-2017 06:51 AM

this one

way down now as well

Undertoad 02-02-2017 06:31 PM

"Human Performance" stuck with me. It's punky, it's Velvety, but its secret is in its depth, like the way they throw in the extra two beats at the end of each verse. The lyrics are great. Good find G.

https://play.google.com/music/previe...gnid=kp-lyrics

Elspode 02-02-2017 08:25 PM

I've probably posted this before, but...it's on YouTube, and I'm not ashamed of this medley of dark songs my band Celtic Moon did one Pagan Pride Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PVmhp4OJpU.

xoxoxoBruce 02-02-2017 09:49 PM

Yes, but I like the scenery in this one too... :blush:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqoesZBQQjI

Gravdigr 02-16-2017 03:27 PM

Remember this?:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 967722)

Well the singer and drummer from Tears For Fears heard it and decided to stop by:

If the vid didn't load it's here

xoxoxoBruce 02-16-2017 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 982206)
Remember this?:

Well the singer and drummer from Tears For Fears heard it and decided to stop by:

If the vid didn't load it's here

Gravdigr 02-16-2017 04:55 PM

Ithankyou.

xoxoxoBruce 02-16-2017 06:06 PM

You had the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v= before and #t=110 after, the video number in the youtube link.

BigV 02-16-2017 08:03 PM

Watch this so you can see how they do, and how they're NOT doing it (with computers)

Then trip the fuck out to this.

Gravdigr 03-09-2017 03:58 PM

DanaC 03-11-2017 06:24 AM

This song combines two of my favourite things - great music and Bruce Campbell.

xoxoxoBruce 03-14-2017 04:59 PM

Weird Al's first TV appearance, with the great Tom Snyder.

Ridin' in a bus down the boulevard,
And the place was pretty packed.
Couldn't find a seat, so I had to stand,
With the perverts in the back.
It was smellin' like a locker room.
There was junk all over the floor.
We're already packed in like sardines,
But we're stoppin' to pick up more.
Look out!

chorus: Another one rides the bus-ah.
Another one rides the bus-ah.
And another comes on,
And another comes on.
Another one rides the bus-ah.
Hey!
He's gonna sit by you.
Another one rides the bus.

There's a suitcase pokin' me in the ribs.
There's an elbow in my ear.
There's a smelly old bum standin' next to me.
Hasn't showered in a year.
Well, I think I'm missin' a contact lens.
I think my wallet's gone.
And I think this bus is stoppin' again,
To let a couple more freaks get on.
Look out!

(chorus)

Another one rides the bus.
Another one rides the bus--ow!
Another one rides the bus--hey, hey!
Another one rides the bus--hey-y-y-y!

The window doesn't open, and the fan is broke,
And my face is turnin' blue.
I haven't been in a crowd like this
Since I went to see The Who.
Well, I should'a got off a couple miles ago,
But I couldn't get to the door.
There isn't any room for me to breathe.
Now we're gonna pick up more, yeah!

(chorus)

BigV 03-14-2017 09:45 PM

Hi Dana

Would you guide me to the videos of a British duo you introduced us to? It's a couple of young black guys, you posted a few of their videos, one featured some cigarette smoking and another dinner at home with one or two of the mothers of the young men. Google is *not* my friend "young men smoking moms" etc etc. Yeah. Help me out please.

Griff 03-15-2017 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 983986)
This song combines two of my favourite things - great music and Bruce Campbell.

I like this very much!

Clodfobble 03-15-2017 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 984313)
Hi Dana

Would you guide me to the videos of a British duo you introduced us to? It's a couple of young black guys, you posted a few of their videos, one featured some cigarette smoking and another dinner at home with one or two of the mothers of the young men. Google is *not* my friend "young men smoking moms" etc etc. Yeah. Help me out please.

I believe you are referring to Rizzle Kicks. Still one of my kids' favorites.

BigV 03-16-2017 11:13 AM

Hi Clodfobble,

You're right, that's them! Thank you!

I *thought* I'd tried searching for that name, whatev...

Thanks again!

DanaC 03-16-2017 11:53 AM

Ahhh yes - Rizzle Kicks, Mama Do the Hump

Griff 03-16-2017 11:57 AM

xoxoxoBruce 03-18-2017 11:48 PM

Chuck, go mofo... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1nJC4CXsok

xoxoxoBruce 03-25-2017 10:55 AM

OMG, I'd give most anything to go back to this 1990 concert.
Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash and Kris Kristofferson, The Highwaymen.

DanaC 03-25-2017 03:16 PM

Currently very into this guy:

Interview:

DanaC 04-01-2017 11:44 AM

DanaC 04-01-2017 12:39 PM

Griff 04-01-2017 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 985108)
Currently very into this guy:

Interview:

Great voice!

DanaC 04-02-2017 06:09 AM

Charismatic guy as well. Totally not what I pictured when I heard the song on the radio.

This is what Carrot and I have been rocking out to today*:

*Carrot doesn't realise we are dancing. From his perspective it's just a rather elaborate seeming game of tug of war for the snake toy.

Undertoad 04-03-2017 08:48 PM

first time broke coll ar bone i trip over my shoelaces
over my shoelaces
yeah over my shoelaces

got to get a new pair of shoes to kick it with her not kick it with you
got to get a new pair of shoes to kick it with her not kick it with you

DanaC 04-06-2017 02:53 PM

That was very funky. I like.

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the video thread along with the other Woodkid video. I decided here, because this is an awesome piece of music - but that's not my primary reason for posting. What I love about this is the performance, the scale of the production and the relationship between him and his audience - he interacts with them constantly and by the end they're so sympatico he conducts them like an orchestra.

It's pretty amazing, that with a production on this scale, he somehow manages to achieve a sense of total intimacy with his audience.

I think this is probably the closing number, as it's their biggest hit and he has forged a strong connection with the audience.

*mild strobing effect in a few places - best listened to at a decent volume and in full screen:)

xoxoxoBruce 04-06-2017 03:24 PM

What a production, PT Barnum would be proud. :thumb:
In any live production, whether it's a stadium or a small bar, the patrons and musicians are a team. They feed off the energy of each other. I remember a group of us following a local band (Children of The Night) for a number of years. If the crowd was into the band it was fantastic. If the crowd was more interested in getting drunk, hooking up, or socializing, the band would play to our table(s) where the feedback was guaranteed.

Gravdigr 04-10-2017 01:33 PM

Someone should teach that fellow how to wear a hat. Ears are not hat supports.

Gravdigr 04-13-2017 03:50 PM

:devil:

:yesnod:

DanaC 04-13-2017 04:04 PM

*nods*

Bangin