The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Gender Equality Checkpoint (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=30908)

tw 01-08-2016 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 950738)
That picture, complete with caption, supposedly came from a Brit newspaper.

Why is everyone dancing around the issue? A 'grossly in error' title actually promotes hate. The title should read "Feminism in the Human world". Since that attitude is not unique to Islam.

Or probably more accurate, "Feminism in a wacko extremist's world". Since extremists make these mistakes only because that was how it was always done.

Extremists typically are not team players. Need one observe our House of Representatives to see same?

glatt 01-08-2016 05:10 PM

Hey tw, happy new year!

Sundae 01-09-2016 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 950738)
That picture, complete with caption, supposedly came from a Brit newspaper.

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest.
The British [print] press have extraordinary knee-jerk reactions. As long as it sells a paper, it's fair game.

I think it was Iain Banks who wrote that the aphorism "the first casualty of war is truth" was naive in suggesting that truth in print was an existing commodity outside of conflict.

xoxoxoBruce 01-09-2016 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Two moves in the right direction.

DanaC 01-09-2016 05:43 PM

Child custody is something that should be decided on a case by case basis, according to what is best for the child and family concerned. That is impossible if the start point is an assumption that the mother is first choice for custody unless someone can give a compelling reason for her not to be.

At one time fathers were considered the last word in custody. Only if a child was still an infant, would custody be given to the mother and even then it wasn't a guarantee. That led to some appalling situations, given that men generally didn't do the child-rearing.

Assuming that the mother is automatically the better parent also opens the door to a great deal of misery. I know plenty of people who'd have been far better off if they'd been raised by their dads instead of their mums.

From the assumptions of the patriarchal rights of men, to assumptions of the natural mothering skills of women - both based on rigid concepts of gender and potentially damaging when applied to individual families.

xoxoxoBruce 01-11-2016 02:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One of 29 maps at WomenStats showing the worldwide condition of problems women face.

DanaC 01-11-2016 02:55 PM

That's a fuckton of places coloured red.

I would be interested to see an equivalent map for men. I suspect that it would not be greatly different.

xoxoxoBruce 01-13-2016 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On November 11th, 1817, Mary M Archer placed this ad on the front page center of a Philadelphia newspaper which was predominantly notices of ships leaving for or arriving from the far corners of the Earth. I sounds like a serious attempt to start a school teaching skills which could produce income, mostly for women.

Happy Monkey 01-13-2016 04:41 PM

Interesting early rendition of the $

Sundae 01-19-2016 09:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I had my camera out in the supermarket because I saw something with Sheldon's name on it.
Wandered into the children's clothing aisle - which I don't often do, as the items are not on my list and it's not on my way to the checkouts.

Turns out boys like dinosaurs
Attachment 54911

and girls like pandas.
Attachment 54912

You go, girls - at least your chosen animal isn't extinct. Yet.

The children these clothes are aimed at would be my grandchildren's generation.
I don't know why I am so disappoint. Maybe because although I do genuinely have a thing for pink and sparkly (in the same way MI5 Special Agent Limey does for purple and knitted), I grew up in jeans and trainers.

I may be over-thinking this.
In which case it's me who is disappointing.

DanaC 01-19-2016 09:33 AM

jebus those are ugly jumpers.

Clodfobble 01-19-2016 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae
I don't know why I am so disappoint. Maybe because although I do genuinely have a thing for pink and sparkly (in the same way MI5 Special Agent Limey does for purple and knitted), I grew up in jeans and trainers.

But is your gut reaction against the idea that the girls aren't being taught practicality (as you were with your jeans and trainers,) or that they're being spoiled (as you only wore jeans and trainers because they were less expensive and could be handed down from your brother?)

Gravdigr 01-19-2016 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 929601)
As most of you know I have a strong interest in sexism and gender roles - how they arise, how they shift, and the current contours of our gendered culture.

Often I read an article, or series of articles, which set out, or highlight current areas of gender inequality...

6 Absurd Ways Modern Medicine Fails Because Of Sexism <---Cracked.com link, be warned.

Clodfobble 01-19-2016 04:10 PM

I really liked that article, thanks Grav.

DanaC 01-19-2016 04:30 PM

Very interesting that, Grav. Some of them I was aware of, but some were new to me.