The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Weird News (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16997)

TheMercenary 08-16-2009 09:10 AM

More stuff you just can't make up.

You DO have the right to remain silent...

http://blogs.tampabay.com/bizarre/20...in-silent.html

skysidhe 08-16-2009 02:07 PM

I had never heard of this before. It was on the history channel and it is very weird news.

The Tungusta Event.

http://www.crystalinks.com/tunguskaevent.html

The Tunguska explosion felled an estimated 80 million trees over 2,150 square kilometers (830 sq mi). An overhead satellite view, from nearly a century later, centered at 60°55 N, 101°57 E (near ground zero for this event) shows an area of reduced forest density with a clearly visible, irregular clearing of somewhat less than one square kilometer in area. It is estimated to have measured 5.0 on the Richter scale.

The Tunguska event is the largest impact event in recent history. An explosion of this magnitude had the potential to devastate large metropolitan areas should it occur over a large city. This has helped spark discussion of ways to potentially stop large asteroids or comets from hitting Earth.

Description

At around 7:15 a.m., Tungus natives and Russian settlers in the hills northwest of Lake Baikal observed a column of bluish light, nearly as bright as the Sun, moving across the sky. About 10 minutes later, there was a flash and a loud "knocking" sound similar to artillery fire that went in short bursts spaced increasingly wider apart. Eyewitnesses closer to the explosion reported the sound source moving during each barrage, east to north. The sounds were accompanied by a shock wave that knocked people off their feet and broke windows hundreds of miles away. The majority of eyewitnesses reported only the sounds and the tremors, and not the sighting of the explosion. Eyewitness accounts differ as to the sequence of events and their overall duration.

The explosion registered on seismic stations across Eurasia. Although the Richter scale was not developed until 1935, it has been estimated that in some places the shock wave would have been equivalent to an earthquake of 5.0 on the Richter scale. It also produced fluctuations in atmospheric pressure strong enough to be detected by then recently invented barographs in Britain. Over the next few weeks, night skies were aglow such that one could read in their light, sometimes called "bright nights." In the United States, the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory and the Mount Wilson Observatory observed a decrease in atmospheric transparency that lasted for several months.

The Guinness Book of World Records (1966 edition) states that due to the rotation of the Earth, if the collision had occurred 4 hours 47 minutes later, it would have completely destroyed the city of St. Petersburg.

Crimson Ghost 08-16-2009 04:26 PM

Ever read the theories about what exploded?
Alien nuke, alien spacecraft, John Tesh's career...

skysidhe 08-16-2009 06:33 PM

The theory stressed the most was it was an asteroid. The show barely touched on the alien thing nor did they say anything about the black hole or anti matter therory...OR John Tesh ?

I have not read them though. Any weird link you want to share?

Crimson Ghost 08-17-2009 12:14 AM

I tend to go with the 'asteroid exploding before it hit Earth' theory.

I read one where it was an atomic bomb that was sent back in time by future scientists who had developed a time travel device. They were also responsible for the dinosaurs being extinct. That theory, not so much...

ZenGum 08-19-2009 12:08 AM

Not very weird, but still funny:

Quote:

Naked man survives frozen fall

A naked man has suffered hypothermia and cuts after falling down a frozen embankment in Victoria's alpine region.

The 21-year-old Melbourne man fell 80 metres down the hill at Hotham Heights and slammed into some trees.

Police say it serves as a reminder that snow and alcohol do not mix.

Crimson Ghost 08-19-2009 12:17 AM

Worst case of blue-balls ever seen...

skysidhe 08-20-2009 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Ghost (Post 588287)

It seems the most logical theory.

Scriveyn 08-24-2009 01:14 AM

murder victim identified

Quote:

... Her mangled body was found in a suitcase in a metal rubbish bin in Buena Park, south of Los Angeles, on 15 August. She was identified by a serial number on her breast implants. ...
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8217428.stm

:eek: Jack the Ripper was ahead of his times.

classicman 08-24-2009 07:47 AM

At least it looks the the asshole responsible took care of his sentence and killed himself.

ZenGum 08-25-2009 06:49 AM

Quote:

The veteran musician Bob Dylan has been speaking about getting back into the recording studio - but not for a new album.

Bob Dylan says he is thinking of going into satellite navigation.

The 68-year-old says he has been talking to car companies about becoming the voice of their GPS systems.

"I think it would be good if you're looking for directions and you heard my voice saying something like, 'take a left at the next street, no, a right, you know what, just go straight'," he said.

"I probably shouldn't do it because whichever way I go, I always end up in one place - on Lonely Avenue."

Now to get hoooooooome
Go down the rooooooaaaad
around the cuuuuuuurrvvve
be sure to sweeeeeeerrrvve
and you willl beeeeeee
as lost as meeeeeee
in the city liiiiiiights
in the city niiiiiiights

Crimson Ghost 08-25-2009 08:09 PM

I always thought Dylan sounded constipated when he sang.

ZenGum 08-27-2009 12:35 AM

Again, old news, weird:

From wikipedia

Quote:

Sigurd Eysteinsson (aka Sigurd the Mighty, ruled circa 875–92[1]) was the second Viking Earl of Orkney, who succeeded his brother Rognvald Eysteinsson. He was a leader in the Viking conquest of what is now northern Scotland. Bizarrely, he was killed by the severed head of one his enemies, Máel Brigte, who may have been mórmaer of Moray.[1] Sigurd strapped Máel Brigte's head to his saddle as a trophy of conquest, and as he rode, Máel Brigte's teeth grazed against Sigurd's leg. The wound became infected and Sigurd died.[2]

According to the Orkneyinga saga, towards the end of his reign, Sigurd challenged a native ruler, Máel Brigte the Bucktoothed, to a 40-man-a-side battle. Treacherously, Sigurd brought 80 men to the fight. Máel Brigte was defeated and beheaded. Sigurd strapped the head to his saddle as a trophy, but as Sigurd rode, Máel Brigte's buck-tooth scratched his leg. The leg became inflamed and infected, and as a result Sigurd died.

dar512 08-27-2009 11:29 AM

Believe it or not, I've heard of this guy. I had been reading this a couple of days ago.

ZenGum 08-27-2009 10:51 PM

Quote:

A man who impersonated a Qantas engineer has had his jail sentence extended for providing fake character references.

Timothy McCormack was sentenced to at least two years jail for impersonating a QANTAS maintenance engineer.

Between 2006 and 2007, he signed off on a number of aircraft safety inspections.

Today, his sentence has been extended by at least eight months, for fabricating evidence and trying to pervert the course of justice.

The district court in Sydney heard that he provided fake references at his sentencing hearing, including one from a school counsellor and another from a football official.

Telling lies is bad. That was why you were in trouble to start with. Have you got that yet? Dumbarse.