The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Philosophy (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   What Saves You (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13721)

wolf 04-01-2007 03:16 PM

Church signs have between three and five seconds (unless they are at a traffic light) to make an impact on the viewer. The primary audience is really people who are already associated with that church. I do think that the cutesy sayings are taking over from the upcoming sermon topic variety.

I'm just letting my thoughts wander here, and I may have come up with something. You know how today parents strive to be their kids "friends" rather than actually doing things like setting limits and parenting? I think we're seeing the same effect in religion. God's your buddy now, rather than the rageful, jealous being that will rain down His wroth upon your unworthy head when you sin. Things that are traditional sins are either okay to do now, or at the very least overlooked.

monster 04-01-2007 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 328675)
I see countless adverts on television that so obviously aren't aimed at me. For example the Febreeze ad that features a dog - nope, no dog smell to cover up in my flat. I bought Febreeze because my sofa had been in storage.

Just because you see it, doesn't mean it is targeted to appeal to you.

But what made you think it would get rid of that storage smell? Well if it works for doggie smells..... ;)

monster 04-01-2007 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 329340)
I'm just letting my thoughts wander here, and I may have come up with something. You know how today parents strive to be their kids "friends" rather than actually doing things like setting limits and [i]parenting]/i]? I think we're seeing the same effect in religion. God's your buddy now, rather than the rageful, jealous being that will rain down His wroth upon your unworthy head when you sin. Things that are traditional sins are either okay to do now, or at the very least overlooked.

I reckon you're bang on there.

Pie 04-01-2007 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 329340)
Things that are traditional sins are either okay to do now, or at the very least overlooked.

"Get your sins here! Fresh, hot sins! Get 'em while they last!" :doit:

Gilk 04-11-2007 08:21 PM

does anyone think it's possible that nobody's right? I've never met anyone who I would trust enough to tell me what's best for me, how I should live my life, but thousands or millions of people listen to some random guy every Sunday just because he's got a title "preacher", or "pastor" or whatever. I'm pretty sure god gave me a mind so I would use it, not wait for someone else to use it for me.

lumberjim 04-11-2007 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilk (Post 333073)
does anyone think it's possible that nobody's right? I've never met anyone who I would trust enough to tell me what's best for me, how I should live my life, but thousands or millions of people listen to some random guy every Sunday just because he's got a title "preacher", or "pastor" or whatever. I'm pretty sure god gave me a mind so I would use it, not wait for someone else to use it for me.

or doctor.

Gilk 04-11-2007 08:24 PM

church signs are basically the same as billboards, advertisements to get you to come in and help pay the electricity bill and the salary of some people who don't think they need to work for a living because they are smarter than the rest of us. ...I need to get my own direct line to God so I can start telling people what they're doing wrong...

Gilk 04-11-2007 08:26 PM

I'm pretty sure the doctor can actually fix something that's wrong with me, like a broken arm. Most preachers just make shit up as they go along, or better yet, read some famous guy's book and then re-shit it out of their mouth into my ears

lumberjim 04-11-2007 08:39 PM

well, some preachers prolly do make it up....but then there are undoubtedly some that are very in touch with spirituality in general, and have wisdom to share that can help those of us that don't have the time to ponder it all out on our own.

likewise...doctors get treated like they're automatically superhuman, where the truth is that most of them are maladjusted asswipes just like the rest of us.

Gilk 04-11-2007 08:45 PM

there are definitely doctors who only practice to hoc the latest prescription medicine so they can get $$$ paid by the phamacuticals <sp> and there are preachers who spout bullshit so they'll get $$$ paid by the ignorant. In my experience there are many many more good doctors than preachers. And more good of both than lawyers and politicians.

lumberjim 04-11-2007 08:53 PM

agreed.

welcome to the cellar.

what do cows drink?

Toymented 04-11-2007 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilk (Post 333076)
I need to get my own direct line to God so I can start telling people what they're doing wrong...

Toy has a direct line to God. Though, it's always dead on the other end.

Stefania 04-16-2007 11:32 PM

Hey, Flint. I like what you are saying here. Right on! Well put.

Stefania 04-16-2007 11:39 PM

Isa, he was actually a sexy tantric lovelord.xo

Spexxvet 04-17-2007 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 333080)
...likewise...doctors get treated like they're automatically superhuman, where the truth is that most of them are maladjusted asswipes just like the rest of us.

Let's face it: becoming a doctor takes a lot of commitment, focus, and dedication. While normal young people are out playing sports, dating, partying, and what-not (ESPECIALLY the what-not), future doctors are home studying and reading (not watching) Grey's Anatomy.