The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ouija Danger (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=12134)

wolf 10-25-2006 12:16 AM

You have a very, very good point.

I often wonder about Hillary Clinton. Clearly 8th Circle of Hell material.

Long time no see, HB!!

skysidhe 10-25-2006 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna
Depends on what costume you're wearing. :ghost: :reaper:

:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hubris Boy
Ouija boards? Meh. That's kid stuff.

On the other hand, some truly dreadful, terrifying things can be conjured using nothing more than a bottle of tequila and a copy of Chutes and Ladders.

~snip

:lol:

limey 10-25-2006 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad
"Accepting", in my case, is
B) admitting there are indeed some things that science doesn't explain, but this doesn't mean there isn't a reality-based explanation;

What is reality? It is your reality that doesn't include spirits that push the glass around a ouija board ... that may not be the same for everybody.

Oh, and yes, Elspode's posts are one of the things I keep coming down these steps for, too.

Flint 10-25-2006 01:12 PM

It's a tricky passage, because only tw has the power to define "reality" . . .

Trilby 10-25-2006 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey
Elspode's posts are one of the things I keep coming down these steps for, too.

Hm. Everybody is hot for noodle and Elspode. You dirty bunch of wenches, you!

Shawnee123 10-25-2006 02:31 PM

Quote:

Don't forget Flint! :D

Flint 10-25-2006 02:45 PM

Are people hot for me?

Trilby 10-25-2006 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint
Are people hot for me?

My Magic 8 ball says: Decidedly so.

Flint 10-25-2006 02:58 PM

:::struggles to create massive pun involving balls, 8-balls, reading tea leaves, and tea-bagging:::

Elspode 10-25-2006 03:13 PM

Quote:

B) admitting there are indeed some things that science doesn't explain, but this doesn't mean there isn't a reality-based explanation;

I think that, with this statement, UT is acknowledging that, just because we don't know why certain "supernatural" things occur, doesn't mean that we won't someday discover an underlying scientific, provable mechanism for the event or force in question.

I for one believe that implicitly. Remember Clarke's Third Law - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Flint 10-25-2006 03:17 PM

I despise the word "supernatural" . . . it suggests a silly two-tiered nature, which would, after all, just be nature anyway.

Elspode 10-25-2006 03:23 PM

Quote:

You only want me for my vocabulary. Sniff.

My wife is always telling me that women like guys who make them laugh. I don't mind it when women laugh. I do get sort of upset when they laugh and point at my Johnson, though.

Undertoad 10-25-2006 03:56 PM

Flint has it. Just saying the thing is "supernatural" applies some layer of meaning preceding understanding. "I don't know what it is, therefore it is supernatural," is exactly like the current intelligent design approach, in which everything we don't have an ironclad scientific explanation for is conveniently filled in by God. "I don't know why it happened, but it was a supreme being's will."

That said, Spode, I mean no disrespect even to point out that our belief systems are inherently different. After all, I am often wrong.

Elspode 10-25-2006 04:04 PM

Quote:

That said, Spode, I mean no disrespect even to point out that our belief systems are inherently different. After all, I am often wrong.

And I am wrong at least as often as I am right. No one needs to apologize to anyone for their belief system, as long as they aren't shoving it down the other person's throat.

Flint 10-25-2006 04:06 PM

What the hell are you guys talking about? I'm never wrong!