The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How you know you're old (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=27203)

Ibby 04-23-2012 05:32 AM

When I say Styx or someone... Yeah, in fact, i think it may have actually been REO. Maybe Foreigner. What's the difference anyhow, right?

sabine 04-26-2012 09:16 PM

...they’re the famous UK band (One Direction) that placed third on X-Factor seventh season. Also, they are the first UK group in the history to debut at number one with their first album.

maineiac04631 04-26-2012 09:46 PM

If you know what this is you are old.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rpmadapter.jpg

If you know what bunny ears were, you are old.

If the gas cap to your first car was behind the rear license plate, you are old.

If you remember when rock music was only on the AM dial, you are old.

DanaC 04-27-2012 10:26 AM

I feel like I should know what that is. My long term memory clearly recognises it, but damned if I can place it...

[eta] hang on...is that the little cutout bit from the inside of a record?

Either that or those things that went into bike spokes

glatt 04-27-2012 10:35 AM

I pretty much only know it from quizzes like this one.

I had three record players at different times growing up, and my parents had one. None of our 45s used those. There was always some sort of adapter that came with the record player. A more permanent thing that lived on top of the turntable and you just placed it on the spindle, and the 45 over it. I seem to recall that when I would visit my grandmother and use my father's old teenage record player, it had this little spring loaded pop-up device that would come out of the turn table when you pushed on it, and it would accept 45s.

But I think I saw one of these things over at a friend's house once when I was a kid.

kerosene 04-27-2012 10:35 AM

It looks like that thing that goes in the middle of a record so it fits on a spindle of the record player.

glatt 04-27-2012 10:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My father's old record player was a lot like this. I was wrong, it didn't have a pop up spindle. But you could stack 45s and it would play them one after another. And that whole spindle thing could be removed to put a 33 on there.

Attachment 38480

And on my record players, they all had something like this.

Attachment 38481

Maybe I'm not old.

DanaC 04-27-2012 10:47 AM

I have a very vague recollection of trying to play some records that had that big central hole but not having the spindley thing and trying to pack it down with tissue:p

Sundae 04-27-2012 10:56 AM

I thought it was needed when records were sold from jukeboxes!

My next door neighbour had an older sister with a record player and a huge box of records.
When it was raining, during the school holidays we were allowed in her room (she was already working by then) to play them. We had an insert for those records with holes.

I don't know how I came to that conclusion. Seems an odd one for me to draw. Someone might have said something similar that I misunderstood.

We whiled away many hours choosing records at random and having to dance to them.
I remember Brontosaurus Stomp coming up surprisingly ofen given the size of the box.
Cheating?
Well, I was anyway.
Better then getting stuck with Please Release Me!

infinite monkey 04-27-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maineiac04631 (Post 808853)
If you know what this is you are old.

If you know what bunny ears were, you are old.

If the gas cap to your first car was behind the rear license plate, you are old.

If you remember when rock music was only on the AM dial, you are old.

I'm OLD! My gawd those 45 record thingies were like an integral part of my childhood! I still have some whereever my 45 record cases are (with really mod 70s wacky geometric shapes.) :D

infinite monkey 04-27-2012 11:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are exact replicas of both 45 holders I had:

Flint 04-27-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimhelm (Post 806934)
All these douchey kid singers with upside down hair.

They have ... COMB-OVERS ... lol

ZenGum 04-27-2012 06:35 PM

We had both 33s and 45s, but they all had the same small hole in the middle, no adaptor needed.

Spexxvet 04-28-2012 10:24 AM

You know you're old when you hear an add for tickets to a Flyers super box that include an open bar and a private bathroom, and you think the best part is the private bathroom.

Aliantha 04-28-2012 06:21 PM

:lol2: