The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Health (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Old-Timers (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34114)

BigV 04-12-2019 10:01 AM

Those are lovely.

You have some nice tools and you give a gift in return by graciously accepting them. It's satisfying for the giver to see their things being put to use and to see the pleasure of the receiver.

xoxoxoBruce 04-12-2019 10:20 AM

The fact you could set those planes on the couch to photograph them, without starting a war, says volumes about your peaceable kingdom. :thumb:

Griff 04-12-2019 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 1030199)
Those are lovely.

You have some nice tools and you give a gift in return by graciously accepting them. It's satisfying for the giver to see their things being put to use and to see the pleasure of the receiver.

Wise words. It took me a long time to figure that out.
Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1030201)
The fact you could set those planes on the couch to photograph them, without starting a war, says volumes about your peaceable kingdom. :thumb:

I'm always surprised what couples find to fight about. I'm just gonna go ahead and count that blessing.

glatt 04-12-2019 04:19 PM

I'm a big fan of those hybrid planes with the wooden bodies and metal guts. Easy to adjust the depth and the wood just glides over the work surface.

Griff 04-13-2019 10:13 AM

Can't wait to find a job for them.

Griff 06-25-2019 06:40 AM

So the old guy had more guns. The potential Columbine kid, you know the unemployed college graduate who games in the basement while his arthritic mom mows the lawn, across the street asked about getting one. Yeah, no, that won't fly. FiLs blood relatives are afraid of guns so I'm pretty well stocked now. I'm going to find a good home for some of them. I also was given a bunch of fly fishing gear, which is very cool. The clean out has been pretty wild, the man had his passions. Garden scale trains and telescopes will probably land on ebay...

Clodfobble 06-25-2019 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1034688)
The potential Columbine kid, you know the unemployed college graduate who games in the basement while his arthritic mom mows the lawn, across the street asked about getting one. Yeah, no, that won't fly.

Thank you. If only all retailers would be so conscientious.

Griff 06-25-2019 05:19 PM

It's got me wondering about this whole generation leaving their guns behind...

glatt 06-25-2019 06:57 PM

Just more stuff.

xoxoxoBruce 06-26-2019 12:56 AM

No, not just more stuff. You don't leave them on the curb for the trashman, you don't shuffle them off to Goodwill, or put them up on ebay in a surprise box. :headshake
Somebody has to take the time for some serious thinking about the disposal. It's a conundrum for that person because a gun in the worst shape possible is still worth money.
Probably the lowest $ return is selling to a licensed dealer, and the highest is selling on the street. The Good-Doobie return is reversed.

Griff 06-26-2019 06:11 AM

There aren't that many hunters in the followup generations. So we have a shit-ton of weapons being handed off to folks without any firearms training or any use for them... It gives me pause.

sexobon 06-26-2019 04:25 PM

Help your fellow living creatures by taking those guns to the zoo, loading them, and giving them to the monkeys so they don't have to fling shit anymore. How degrading that must be for them.

Griff 06-27-2019 06:12 AM

The monkeys won't learn self-sufficiency if you do it for them.

Gravdigr 06-27-2019 12:20 PM

But they'll learn ballistics.

Gravdigr 06-27-2019 12:23 PM

I am for the arming of zoo monkeys, don't get me wrong, but I think they have to be released onto the public.

If I can't hunt over bait, then neither can the monkeys.

Also, if they take a gun, they have to give up the typewriter. Only one weapon per monkey.