The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Philosophy (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Blocked (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=5976)

marichiko 06-05-2004 01:40 AM

Maybe they want the eagle to have the right to choose as well?:confused:

elSicomoro 06-05-2004 12:14 PM

People aren't endangered, bald eagles are.

jaguar 06-05-2004 12:33 PM

nicely put syc.

Not to mention I haven't seen anyone argue that the bald eagle shouldn't have the right to step on it's own egg.

lumberjim 06-05-2004 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sycamore
I personally find it interesting how some folks who are for the death penalty are against abortion.
throw 'em back. get 'em when they're bigger?

elSicomoro 06-05-2004 12:50 PM

Oh shit...that was funny.

wolf 06-05-2004 01:06 PM

Quote:

People aren't endangered, bald eagles are.
No, they aren't.

Eagles were downgraded from endangered to threatened a couple of years ago.

This year they were removed from "threatened" status.

They're back to being run-of-the-mill birds of prey, in a legal sense.

Lady Sidhe 06-05-2004 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lumberjim

throw 'em back. get 'em when they're bigger?

Must be a fisherman thing...

elSicomoro 06-05-2004 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wolf
This year they were removed from "threatened" status.
Not yet.

blue 06-05-2004 11:27 PM

I suppose I should read more than the first statement in a thread before replying...but you're right, it is murder, been twisted into a "right". Why you would want this right is beyond me, why you would practice this right sickens me.

blue 06-05-2004 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Undertoad
Mine is when neo-cortical activity begins. At that point sentience is initially possible, marking the difference between man and animal, the point at which conscious thought is possible.
Mine is when life begins. You have to draw a line right? I'm pretty much a live and let live kind of guy 'til we get to this issue. Every life is precious, even Sycamore who most people wish was aborted (I'm just yanking your chain Syc...you're a great example) is a wonderful, unigue human. We can't, we shouldn't play god.

I don't recall the exact numbers, but aren't MILLIONS aborted every year here in the US? That's awful damn close to being you or me, your wife or husband, your best friend being a puddle in a trash bag. Besides millions of young girls having to live with that simple procedure, that awful fact for life.

elSicomoro 06-05-2004 11:57 PM

We play God in various ways every single day. Abortion is just another of those ways. As I see it, until it's born, it's fair game.

Undertoad 06-05-2004 11:57 PM

Well, don't just limit it to fertilized eggs. With scientific advances, every single cell can be a potential human life.

blue 06-06-2004 12:00 AM

Quote:

We play God in various ways every single day. Abortion is just another of those ways. As I see it, until it's born, it's fair game.
That's pretty cold Syc. Do you mean it?

blue 06-06-2004 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Undertoad
Well, don't just limit it to fertilized eggs. With scientific advances, every single cell can be a potential human life.
So lets try not to kill it then eh? I hate gnats, they make me crazy, big ass wasps scare the crap outta me, but I go out of my way not to kill just because it's inconvenient to me.

I "release" woodticks for christs sake, I come from a long line of hunters, and I'm good with that, but a deer on the side of the road rotting for no purpose bugs me.

Undertoad 06-06-2004 12:15 AM

Aw shit, I just scratched my arm and killed 400.