The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Have a Blessed day (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=20117)

Shawnee123 04-22-2009 03:13 PM

I don't really mind it. I said once that I never understood people who would get mad if someone told them to "have a nice day." They'd say "don't tell ME what kind of day to have!" It's just someone being polite, in their way. A little more "nice" never hurt anyone. Also, I think in jim's situation, she's annoying in WAY more ways than that, "blessed" is just the topper.

However, as I said, I just wish someone would tell me to "have a fucking awesome damn day, dude!"

Trilby 04-22-2009 03:20 PM

shawnee- your brain has obviously been rattled by too many shiny bracelets that tinkle/tinkle/tinkle in the office sprinkle.

and have a fucking awesome fucking fuck fuck day! DUDE!

Trilby 04-22-2009 03:21 PM

PS - i WILL find the blessed cat who is using a non-authorized area for litter and then BLESS said cat all the way to Philly - so mote it be.

Shawnee123 04-22-2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 559113)
shawnee- your brain has obviously been rattled by too many shiny bracelets that tinkle/tinkle/tinkle in the office sprinkle.

and have a fucking awesome fucking fuck fuck day! DUDE!

:lol: I don't doubt that! It's madness! Oh, and guys, secure your change in your pockets: I don't want to visualize what it's clanging up against.

Trilby 04-22-2009 03:30 PM

shawnee--do NOT go soft on me.

keep the non-faith, chick.

kick their blessed ass.

Shawnee123 04-22-2009 03:38 PM

I think next time, after they have told me to get blessed, I will start screaming as loud as I can "FUCKKKKKKK YOUUUUUUUUU....HAVE A FUCK-ED DAY YA FUCKING FREAK."

Then I'll laugh, and the lady on the phone will laugh, and my office mates will laugh, and the director will laugh, and campus police will laugh, we'll all just laugh and laugh. :lol:

SteveDallas 04-22-2009 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 559114)
PS - i WILL find the blessed cat who is using a non-authorized area for litter and then BLESS said cat all the way to Philly - so mote it be.

Philly?? Wait, what did we ever do to you??

classicman 04-22-2009 04:00 PM

She just knows that we're all blessed to live in this area.

dar512 04-22-2009 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 559108)
I am a cynical jade. The "blessed day" smacks of Christianity to me.

I agree - probably a Christian.

What I'm hearing in the rest of that is - "She is a Christian and therefore a hypocrite."

I have prayed several times for your sake, Bri. Does that make me a hypocrite too?

classicman 04-22-2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar512 (Post 559141)
I have prayed several times for your sake, Bri. Does that make me a hypocrite too?

... and me?

When people say things like that I chalk it up to a communication style and move on. I have several "Born again" clients who repeatedly ask me about being saved and all that. I politely shrug it off and go about gently changing the subject. To each his own and all.

Shawnee123 04-22-2009 04:49 PM

You reminded me of this exchange from The Good Girl:

Corny: You got any interest in reading the Bible?
Justine: I have my own, you know, beliefs.
Corny: Well, we don't preach fire and brimstone. 10 Commandments, gotta live by those. Other than the usual ways, we're not interested in scaring people. We're about loving Jesus.
Justine: Mm-hmm. Yeah, I kind of like my nights to myself.
Corny: Well, maybe you'll have night after night of eternal hellfire all to yourself. Just kidding you. Drive safe. Bye-bye

DanaC 04-22-2009 06:33 PM

I must admit, I'm with Dar on this one. Either it's just something she says in which case maybe after a bit it grates a little...but not exactly maddening. Maybe she actually means it...in which case that's quite a nice thing to wish on you. I know it's an awful assumption on her part, that you would relate to 'blessings' the way she does, but there are worse crimes than not seeing the world the way others do.

classicman 04-22-2009 06:39 PM

She doesn't say who is doing the blessing... give her points for that at least.

lumberjim 04-22-2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar512 (Post 559107)
Assuming that the woman is not a hypocrite, believes in someone/something with the power to bless, and wants you to have this blessing, I can't see why anyone would be offended.

Is it that it comes in a religious context? Can't you accept it in the spirit it is given? Should anyone here be offended when Jim uses 'cock' in a message? Doesn't he expect us to take it in the spirit it was intended?

I don't understand all this anger over something that seems well-intentioned.

maybe we should pray that one day you'll be blessed with a functional sense of humor, you hater cock.

dar512 04-22-2009 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 559196)
maybe we should pray that one day you'll be blessed with a functional sense of humor, you hater cock.

What are you on about?