The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The EBay thread. (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=30894)

BigV 05-27-2015 11:42 AM

Taco Bell. Funny. My last Craigslist exchange took place at Denny's, it was for under $100, and it was during normal daylight hours.

eta: I bought a string trimmer. And no, that's not what the kids are calling it these days.

Gravdigr 05-27-2015 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 929461)
That's safer than eating at Taco Bell.

NEVER go to their home, and for damn sure NEVER bring them to yours. ALWAYS meet in public places, preferably under video surveillance. Whether from Craig's List, or the classifieds, makes no difference. Nuts is nuts, after all.

I've bought a few things off CL, and since I was meeting a complete stranger, I went armed. Of course, I go most places armed. Because people.

xoxoxoBruce 05-27-2015 01:35 PM

Quote:

NEVER go to their home, and for damn sure NEVER bring them to yours.
But it makes it so much easier to dispose of the body.

infinite monkey 05-27-2015 02:02 PM

And don't meet them to buy a vintage car off them because they may be tryin' to thieve ya and when it all goes awry they'll murder you, even if they have 'little or no criminal history."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/bodies-vehi...ry?id=28526184

monster 05-27-2015 08:42 PM

Glatt, I would ask him to make a police report and send you a copy before I refunded anything. But then I probably wouldn't refund anything.

limey 05-28-2015 12:35 PM

So the first bell (which was the second one I listed, but for a shorter "auction" time) just sold for £11.70. I thought that it had some interesting features, notably the original (as far as I could tell) clapper ("It still has a clapper consisting of an iron ring fastened to the bell with a leather strap. I was told when I bought the bell that this type of clapper was found in the bells used for express post horses. If fresh horses were needed at the next posting station the bell was allowed to ring out, but if it was night and no new horses required, a strap was passed through the rings in the clappers preventing the bells from sounding").
The Russian dealer who has one listed for around £250 may have to wait a while to get that amount, as may the sellers of various other similar bells on Ebay at around £35 to £85 ... These are the ones that keep getting re-listed.

glatt 05-28-2015 01:10 PM

Was that the one with the love inscription? Cause I thought that was neat.

Somebody finally bid on one of my cameras. I thought the Mamiya would get a lot of attention, but it's the Nikon that got a bid. And nobody cares about the Minolta. It's been viewed a handful of times, and I bet that was you guys.

classicman 05-28-2015 01:27 PM

yeh, probably. I took a look at them. Emailed my niece about the Mamiya as she's a photo buff.

limey 05-28-2015 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 929558)
Was that the one with the love inscription? Cause I thought that was neat ...

No, Glatt - you've still got time to bid on that one for your sweetheart ;)

glatt 05-28-2015 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 929564)
Emailed my niece about the Mamiya as she's a photo buff.

Thanks. If I were keeping it for myself, I'd replace the seals with one of these kits.

But instead of chasing film, I'm staying with digital. I just bought a new digital camera with some of my earnings on eBay. It's basically the camera I've had for the last 8 years or so except instead of a 12x zoom, it's a ridiculous 60x zoom, and it's 2.5x the resolution with better noise reduction.

So I can go to a baseball game and take pictures of the faces of the people on the other side of the stadium.

xoxoxoBruce 05-28-2015 02:17 PM

Or move to Boston and steal signals. ;)

xoxoxoBruce 05-29-2015 02:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)

infinite monkey 05-29-2015 05:08 AM

Gosh them's some gold-ass warches.

classicman 05-29-2015 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 929573)
Thanks.

I just bought a new digital camera with some of my earnings on eBay. It's a ridiculous 60x zoom, and it's 2.5x the resolution with better noise reduction.

So I can go to a baseball game and take pictures of the faces of the people on the other side of the stadium.

You're welcome.

Nice! You could also take close up pics of birds ... My brother has a similar camera. He gets some fantastic shots.

glatt 05-29-2015 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 929300)
Buyer was apparently out of town for the holiday weekend. On Sunday, he checked the tracking of the package to see when it would arrive, and saw it was left at his door Friday afternoon. He called his son, who went over there, and there was no package. The Post Office delivered it 5 days faster than they said they would.

I care about my 100% feedback, but I'm not sure I care to the tune of $280.

I wonder what the right thing to do is? I held up my end of the transaction, but the buyer has every right to be unhappy. Should I offer to split the loss with him? Give him a full refund, even though I didn't do anything wrong? Take the money and run?

Woo hoo!

Buyer just got back into town yesterday (Dude, you should not order expensive shit from eBay if you don't plan to be home for a week) and I received this message and positive feedback from him today.

Quote:

The package was indeed delivered by USPS on May 22nd, but was moved from the front porch and placed inside our back gate by the delivery person on Saturday. Hence all of the looking in and around the front porch by the family members did not produce the goods!
He found the package!

All my positive and professional communications with him paid off and I got good feedback. :jig: