The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Coffee: Good or Evil? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=6429)

Carbonated_Brains 07-26-2004 03:47 PM

And those are demitasse cups, you uncultured swine! ;-)

ladysycamore 07-26-2004 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaguar
Starbucks is the spawn of satan. They still get firebombed and vandalised over here on occasion, good.

Whoa, you mean you are in favor of businesses getting firebombed and people possibly getting hurt/killed????? :eek:

Kitsune 07-26-2004 03:54 PM

I've had someone push "real" coffee on me before: I was handed a styrofoam cup full of what appear to be decade-old 30W motor oil that had been heated.

"It's Cuban coffee. You'll like it."
"Cuban, huh? Let me get some crea--"
"No, no! Cubans do not drink it with cream or sugar. Drink up, my friend."

And so I downed the thick brew moments before the cup disintegrated from the caustic liquid. It quickly found my stomach and ate a hole straight through the lining. Holy hell, that stuff was lethal.

Those poor cubans -- we need to air-lift them some half-n-half right away!

Carbonated_Brains 07-26-2004 03:56 PM

If you can't stick a fork in and half it stand straight up, it isn't coffee.

jaguar 07-26-2004 03:59 PM

Go to Italy, find a good cafe, there are many staffed by people that train for literally years on how to make a good cup of coffee, gague the quality of beans, roast them perfectly, grinding consistancy, water tempreature....I'm not kidding, it's a goddamn art. As for the dainty cups, a real expresso has the same caffeine content as a full mug of coffee in 1/10th of the volume, two of those and you're wired for hours. I prefer a full mug, black and sugarless myself - mostly just you can sip on it for longer but when you're in a hurry it's a great hit.

ladysyc - the only reason someone would be there at 3 in the morning is robbing the place. mostly it's just graffiti or broken windows.

Kitsune 07-26-2004 04:04 PM

the same caffine content as a full mug of coffee in 1/10th of the volume

Now that is something I could get used to. Hook it to my veins! :eek:

jinx 07-26-2004 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaguar
As for the dainty cups, a real expresso has the same caffeine content as a full mug of coffee in 1/10th of the volume, two of those and you're wired for hours.

No, actually espresso has less caffeine because it brews so much faster. That's a common myth though.

jaguar 07-26-2004 04:40 PM

Ye gods I'm tired, I'm starting to spell phonetically.

But an espresso has a much smaller volume than drip brew.

lookout123 07-26-2004 05:11 PM

best coffee i ever had in my life was in riyadh, ksa. at the british embassy. i don't know what kind it was, as the pakistani steward who always magically appeared to place a cup in my hand only smiled and never spoke. but it was awesome, so awesome that i may volunteer for another tour to go back.

i think starbucks is just overpriced sewer water, but nothing is bad as the turkish coffee. talk about making your toes curl and body parts fall off... yuck.

jaguar 07-26-2004 05:22 PM

Yea that turkish stuff is......unique. Hookah pipes and that apple flavoured stuff though...oh man that stuff rocks, that and a triple single malt on the rocks and I'm a happy man for the evening.

wolf 07-27-2004 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx
I love Starbucks. ...I wish I had a venti decaf soy latte right now...

That is so majorly not coffee that I can't find words to adequately express my distress! EEEEEEEEAUW. And you're the woman who convinced her husband that microwaves were evil incarnate?

russotto 07-27-2004 01:18 PM

I like Starbucks java chip ice cream; I think the cream balances the overroasted Starbucks taste and everything works out.

On coffee itself, I'd be a snob if I liked it enough and could stand the side effects (no, not the caffeine. The coffee odor coming from every pore, and not just pores). I like Bucks County's regular blend, and some of the Whole Foods Markets blends, but if it's from a can keep it away.

jinx 07-27-2004 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
That is so majorly not coffee that I can't find words to adequately express my distress!

Yeah, yeah, I know... try making a decent cup of coffee with soy milk though - it's just not possible. A latte is... dessert. Plus I don't have to stand there at the couter dicking around with cream and sugar for a half an hour...

DanaC 07-27-2004 02:56 PM

Of course there is a cost to our morning cup of coffee

Child Labour

jaguar 07-27-2004 03:03 PM

That's why I buy Fair Trade.