The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Quotes and Stuff (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=12106)

Gravdigr 03-20-2014 03:00 PM

Quote:

The erosion of liberty is simple when the people applaud as their rights are violated.
Quote:

The reality is that crisis situations are exactly the times when individual liberties are most vulnerable and needing to be defended. These are also the most challenging and unpopular times to defend civil rights, as swathes of fearful people clamor for the government to keep them safe. The folly of letting the government pick and choose when it must may follow the constitution should be obvious, however. To keep our rights intact we must refuse to accept these mass suspensions of the constitution for an increasingly wide variety of excuses.
~PSUSA, here

BigV 03-21-2014 09:21 AM

Yeah, that's fucked up. It reminds me of the manhunt and searching immediately following the explosions at the Boston marathon. Not the same as hot pursuit.

Gravdigr 03-25-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.
~George Mason

Gravdigr 04-08-2014 11:08 AM

Quote:

If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves.
~Thomas Edison

busterb 04-09-2014 11:12 AM

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Alva Edison

DanaC 04-09-2014 01:07 PM

Justice is blind. But only in one eye - Jon Stewart, Daily Show

Gravdigr 04-11-2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Marines don’t run around asking about compensation, retirement modernization. That’s not on their mind. As I talk to thousands of audiences, they want to know onto whose neck do we put a boot next...
~Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps Micheal P. Barrett, testifying before Senate Armed Services Committee

'Micheal' is not a misspelling, btw

Sundae 04-11-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 896573)
'Micheal' is not a misspelling, btw

It is. Just not by you.

Gravdigr 04-11-2014 01:23 PM

I thought the same. Everywhere I went (3 sites) the man's name was spelt that way.

Plus, he's the Sgt. Maj. of the Marine Corps, who's gonna correct him, the Commandant?

Sundae 04-11-2014 01:37 PM

It's The Emperors New Name :lol:

DanaC 04-11-2014 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 896598)
It's The Emperors New Name :lol:

Hahaha. Clever cow :p

xoxoxoBruce 04-11-2014 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 896588)
It is. Just not by you.

Just furiners. :p:

busterb 04-11-2014 08:03 PM

Yeah, there comes a point, maybe an age, when the long term effects of all this crap is of little concern.
Might as well,
never can tell,
when I'll smell,
the brimstone of hell.
xobruce, I guess

Gravdigr 04-24-2014 03:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 47463

BigV 05-01-2014 07:18 PM

the generic term is "pervertable", a noun.

DanaC 05-02-2014 03:53 PM

Saw this in a comment posted under an article about Abortion. Fucking hell, Carlin is awesome.

Quote:

"They're all in favor of the unborn. They will do anything for the unborn. But once you're born, you're on your own. Pro-life conservatives are obsessed with the fetus from conception to nine months. After that, they don't want to know about you. They don't want to hear from you. No nothing. No neonatal care, no day care, no head start, no school lunch, no food stamps, no welfare, no nothing. If you're preborn, you're fine; if you're preschool, you're fucked.

Conservatives don't give a shit about you until you reach "military age". Then they think you are just fine. Just what they've been looking for. Conservatives want live babies so they can raise them to be dead soldiers. Pro-life... pro-life... These people aren't pro-life, they're killing doctors! What kind of pro-life is that? What, they'll do anything they can to save a fetus but if it grows up to be a doctor they just might have to kill it'They're not pro-life. You know what they are? They're anti-woman. Simple as it gets, anti-woman. They don't like them. They don't like women.They believe a woman's primary role is to function as a brood mare for the state."

George Carlin

Gravdigr 05-05-2014 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 47586

Gravdigr 05-07-2014 04:05 PM

Tommy Lasorda, if it's on his mind, it's out his mouth. The guy don't pull his punches.

Case in point, speaking on the Donald Sterling/V. Stiviano situation:

Quote:

I’ve been a friend of that guy’s for 30 years. It doesn’t surprise me that he said those things. That doesn’t surprise me. And he shouldn’t have said it, and he just hurt himself by talking too much and doing things that he shouldn’t be doing.

And I don’t wish that girl any bad luck, but I hope she gets hit with a car.
~Tommy Lasorda, quoted by WPBF in West Palm Beach, Florida

xoxoxoBruce 05-07-2014 10:51 PM

Lasorda was a good friend of my father-in-law's. That's definitely him. :lol:

Gravdigr 05-10-2014 04:02 PM

Quote:

Stay up, pray up, and don’t give up till you go up!
~Cleo, commenter on the 'Frog in a Blender' whateverthehellitwas

Gravdigr 05-16-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

I believe I did use the 'N' word in reference to the current occupant of the Whitehouse. For this, I do not apologize — he meets and exceeds my criteria for such.
Robert Copeland, 82, in a recent e-mail to his fellow Wolfeboro, NH police commissioners

DanaC 05-16-2014 11:07 AM

I think that's disgraceful.

Gravdigr 05-16-2014 01:45 PM

Prolly not his finest moment.

DanaC 05-16-2014 01:58 PM

Also: I missed the condom one til just now. Ha!

Gravdigr 05-20-2014 05:35 PM

Mr. Copeland has resigned.

Gravdigr 06-10-2014 01:11 PM

Quote:

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
~Goethe

Gravdigr 06-30-2014 04:50 PM

Quote:

Never trust a skinny cook.
Quote:

Could be worse, could be raining.
Quote:

...darker than the inside of a cow.
~Late Grandmadigr

Gravdigr 07-02-2014 10:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 48393

Gravdigr 08-04-2014 08:55 AM

Quote:

Take a chance, while you still got the choice.
~Bon Scott, lyric from 'Rock & Roll Damnation' by AC/DC

Gravdigr 09-29-2014 05:37 PM

Quote:

I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I will kill you all.
~Gen. James Mattis, USMC (Ret.)

Quote:

After the invasion of Iraq -and after sending his tanks and artillery home- Mattis sent this message to the Iraqi leaders in every area his men served in.
~Wikiquote quote

Gravdigr 09-29-2014 05:47 PM

Two more by Gen. Mattis, I love this guy:

Quote:

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
~One of the rules Mattis gave his Marines to live by in Iraq.

Quote:

For decades, Saddam Hussein has tortured, imprisoned, raped and murdered the Iraqi people; invaded neighboring countries without provocation; and threatened the world with weapons of mass destruction. The time has come to end his reign of terror. On your young shoulders rest the hopes of mankind. When I give you the word, together we will cross the Line of Departure, close with those forces that choose to fight, and destroy them. Our fight is not with the Iraqi people, nor is it with members of the Iraqi army who choose to surrender. While we will move swiftly and aggressively against those who resist, we will treat all others with decency, demonstrating chivalry and soldierly compassion for people who have endured a lifetime under Saddam’s oppression. Chemical attack, treachery, and use of the innocent as human shields can be expected, as can other unethical tactics. Take it all in stride. Be the hunter, not the hunted: never allow your unit to be caught with its guard down. Use good judgment and act in best interests of our Nation. You are part of the world’s most feared and trusted force. Engage your brain before you engage your weapon. Share your courage with each other as we enter the uncertain terrain north of the Line of Departure. Keep faith in your comrades on your left and right and Marine Air overhead. Fight with a happy heart and strong spirit. For the mission’s sake, our country’s sake, and the sake of the men who carried the Division’s colors in the past battles-who fought for life and never lost their nerve-carry out your mission and keep your honor clean. Demonstrate to the world there is "No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy" than a U.S. Marine.
OO-fuckin'-RAH!

I bet Marines fall all over themselves to fight for this motherfucker. I read that last quote and wanted to run into battle myself.

Gravdigr 01-05-2015 10:57 AM

Quote:

“I said to her something like: ‘Thank you for speaking. God bless you. I will pray for you. But you have not been helpful’.”
~Brother Noah, of the Monastery of Christ in the Desert, in New Mexico, after speaking with United Airlines' Customer Service

Yes, they made a monk lose his temper.

Gravdigr 01-10-2015 04:01 PM

Quote:

Today my twin brother, womb-mate and best friend went home to be with the Lord.
~Andre Crouch's sister, Sandra

Womb-mate?!?!?! Rly?

:lol2:

Gravdigr 02-13-2015 03:17 PM

Quote:

...the first intelligent you've done.
~Justice Scalia, after Justice Ginsburg recounted dozing off during Obama's State of the Union address.

Gravdigr 02-26-2015 04:24 PM

Fromunda the mug:

Quote:

I always figured that it said a lot about a company when you consider that their basic premise for assuming you may do drugs is grounded in the fact that you want to work for them.
~buzzoff (Buzz O'Feinstein)

:notworthy

Gravdigr 03-17-2015 02:10 PM

Quote:

“We’ll continue to have Internet Explorer, but we’ll also have a new browser called Project Spartan, which is codenamed Project Spartan...”
~Microsoft’s marketing chief Chris Capossela, on finally killing off Internet Explorer

classicman 03-17-2015 04:21 PM

Will it still suck as bad as IE?

DanaC 03-17-2015 04:42 PM

Nothing could ever suck that bad

Gravdigr 03-17-2015 05:02 PM

If it sucks better than IE, will it be better, or, worse?

DanaC 03-18-2015 11:20 AM

Umm....good question...

Crimson Ghost 03-19-2015 04:20 AM

“We’ll continue to have Internet Explorer, but we’ll also have a new browser called Project Spartan, which is codenamed Project Spartan...”

I seem to have found a flaw in your otherwise perfect plan...

xoxoxoBruce 03-19-2015 01:42 PM

Don't be silly, that's not a flaw, it's a feature. ;)

xoxoxoBruce 03-28-2015 11:34 AM

Quote:

White Livered Widders
(from AppalachianHistory.net and Project MUSE)

In the Southern Appalachians, and particularly among the older generation, it might be heard of someone that they are white-livered. Though this phrase is now quite rare, it was once well-known and provides an interesting look at folk medicine in Appalachian history.

White-livered means having an abnormally high sex drive that incapacitates or kills a spouse by draining them of their vitality through incessant sex. One of the earliest mentions of this comes from a Vance Randolph study: “When a lively, buxom, good-looking woman loses several husbands by death, it is often said that her inordinate passion has ‘killed ‘em off,’ and she is referred to as a white-livered widder (or widow).” Usually the phrase was only a figure of speech, but it was sometimes believed that a “high nature” created white spots on the liver, and that if one were to marry three times, their liver would automatically turn white. Some believed that being white-livered correlated with having bad blood, which was a euphemism for syphilis, and transferred the fatal disease to the sexual deviants’ victims.

The phrase was mostly applied to women, leading some to believe that its popularity died off when people realized that women can have sexual appetites without being ill.

Gravdigr 04-04-2015 02:35 PM

Quote:

Thank you, God, for this good life and forgive us if we do not love it enough.
~Garrison Keillor

Gravdigr 08-10-2015 12:13 PM

Quote:

He was a person you wanted to be around because he always made you feel better.
~Richard Petty, on the passing of NASCAR giant (literally, he was 6'6") Buddy Baker

Gravdigr 10-02-2015 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 53552

DanaC 10-02-2015 01:09 PM

Heheheheh ah man - classic Quayle.

fargon 10-02-2015 02:20 PM

Why are all the idiots Republicans.

Lamplighter 10-02-2015 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 940686)

I don't know if Quayle actually said that ... but I want to believe he did.

:D

Lamplighter 10-02-2015 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fargon (Post 940697)
Why are all the Republicans idiots.

FIFY

fargon 10-02-2015 02:50 PM

Thanx Lamp, as a recovering Republican I feel a lot smarter.

Gravdigr 12-21-2015 12:05 PM

Not a straight quote of what he actually wrote, but, close enough:

Quote:

No matter how black, white, male, female, Irish, German, tall, short, ugly or pretty you felt this year, you are part of a family that has been targeted by an unforgiving cosmos since its inception but has, regardless, survived ... humanity, warts and all, is an inherently heroic species that has spent about 99.99% of its short lifetime as an underdog. And If you see no billboards telling you that, it's not because it's not true. It's because there's little to no profit to be made telling you.

I could go on and on about the suffering we've endured and the adaptations we've made, but to me, our species' crowning jewel is that on the shortest day of the year, when the sun spends most of its time swallowed, when everything is frozen, when nothing can grow, when the air is so cold our voices stop right in front of our faces ... we put a string of lights on a universe that is currently doing nothing to earn it. We not only salvage an otherwise desolate time of year, we make it the best time of year.
~essayist Dan Harmon

MERRY CHRISTMAS

DanaC 12-21-2015 12:18 PM

That's really beautiful.

xoxoxoBruce 12-21-2015 01:34 PM

Yes, a nice thought, however...

depending on your hemisphere, it's Christmas on Bondi beach too. ;)

Gravdigr 12-21-2015 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 949217)
...depending on your hemisphere, it's Christmas on Bondi beach too. ;)

It says "we", not "they".;)

xoxoxoBruce 12-21-2015 02:53 PM

True, but he'd already specified we as humanity, mankind, the hairless ape, so everybody but me & Fuzzy Magee. My observation detracts not a whit, from the beauty of his sentiment, any more than Clarabelle have a shit what the peanut gallery babbled.

Gravdigr 05-14-2016 11:31 AM

Quote:

I started taking anabolic steroids in 1969 and never stopped. It was addicting, mentally addicting. Now I'm sick, and I'm scared. Ninety percent of the athletes I know are on the stuff. We're not born to be 300 lb (140 kg) or jump 30 ft (9.1 m). But all the time I was taking steroids, I knew they were making me play better. I became very violent on the field and off it. I did things only crazy people do. Once a guy sideswiped my car and I beat the hell out of him. Now look at me. My hair's gone, I wobble when I walk and have to hold on to someone for support, and I have trouble remembering things. My last wish? That no one else ever dies this way.
~Lyle Alzado

Gravdigr 05-30-2016 01:33 PM

Quote:

“I think that the good and the great are only separated by the willingness to sacrifice.”
~Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Gravdigr 06-04-2016 02:56 PM

Quote:

"Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong."
Quote:

“It isn’t the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it’s the pebble in your shoe.”
Quote:

"Don’t count the days; make the days count."
Quote:

“I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'”
~Muhammad Ali

classicman 06-05-2016 07:20 PM

... How many situps do you do everyday?
Ali - "I don't count my situps, I only start counting when it starts hurting, when I feel pain.