The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Obamanation (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=19310)

TheMercenary 07-28-2009 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux (Post 584723)
I dont defend all of Pelosi's actions but it is a fact that the minority party in the House has more rights now than under the Hastert rule...compare the House rules.

In case, you dont understand what the Hastert rule was, it required support of the "majority of the majority" (ie a majority of Republicans at the time) in order for an amendment to even be considered.

Pelosi's first action as Speaker was to end that rule.

Good on her.

Quote:

Most objective observers recognize that the recovery bill projections are for an 18 month - 2 year time span.
Where are all the "shovel ready jobs" being stimulated? Or was that more BS to get the bill passed. President Obama says the stimulus will create or save 3.5 million jobs. Where are they?

Quote:

Don't you think the "Demon"izing is little childish?
Absolutely not. If the shoe fits...

Shawnee123 07-28-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

President Obama says the stimulus will create or save 3.5 million jobs. Where are they?
Oh for god fucking sake. That was the camel-breaking straw. :lol:

Redux 07-28-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 584727)
Where are all the "shovel ready jobs" being stimulated?.....Where are they?

John Boehner, the Republican minority leader in the House said the same thing last month and came off looking like an idiot:
In Ohio, the infrastructure dollars that were sent there months ago — there hasn’t been a contract let, to my knowledge. And the fact is is that I don’t believe it will create jobs."
The OHIO DOT stepped right in and called him out:
Quote:

With the awarding of more than $36.9 million in construction contracts today, the Ohio Department of Transportation is spurring the creation and retention of hundreds of construction-related jobs by investing federal stimulus funds into 29 roadway and bridges projects across the state.

Combined with the contracts awarded so far using funds from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, ODOT has awarded more than $83.9 million in contracts for work on 52 projects - a combination of interstate, local roadway and bridge modernization projects.

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/news/Page...latedJobs.aspx
So Boeher was either lying to make political points or was clueless.

TheMercenary 07-28-2009 02:10 PM

That is because Boehner is an idiot.

I am just a regular joe.

So where are the jobs for the people being laid off? Road jobs really only employ a VERY limited number of people with specific skills. They have really not addressed or impacted the people getting laid off each month to the tune of nearly 500k last month. The unemployment rate has gone up to over 9% country wide in this year and in some places is greater than 25%. What ever we spent our money on is not working.

Redux 07-28-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 584747)
I am just a regular joe.

I knew it!!!! We have a celebrity in our midst!

You are Joe the Plumber! That explains everything!

Quote:

So where are the jobs for the people being laid off? Road jobs really only employ a VERY limited number of people with specific skills. They have really not addressed or impacted the people getting laid off each month to the tune of nearly 500k last month. The unemployment rate has gone up to over 9% country wide in this year and in some places is greater than 25%. What ever we spent our money on is not working.
Those employed by the stimulus money turn around and spend money! They go to local restaurants..they buy a new refrigerator...they take vacations...and all that money circulating in the economy again saves or creates additional jobs.

You want it to fail so you find reasons for failure prematurely.

TheMercenary 07-28-2009 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux (Post 584749)
Those employed by the stimulus money turn around and spend money! They go to local restaurants..they buy a new refrigerator...they take vacations...and all that money saves or creates additional jobs.

Reading the tea leaves again? The taxes on those who make money will erase most of that after this new health bill.

Quote:

You want it to fail so you find reasons for failure prematurely.
Don't put words into my mouth. I don't want it to fail. But it has failed. It has failed to do what they promised it would do. It is not going to put all those people unemployed and laid off since Jan back to work. And the money is going to be gone. And there will still be no jobs for those people.

Happy Monkey 07-28-2009 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 584719)
Token shaping. Very little input on the more important bills to come out since Jan.

They're in the committees, have access to the bills, and can offer ammendments. So now, for you, "transparency" means not only having access to the bill and offering ammendments, and even having the ammendments accepted, but the minority party also gets to write the bill?

TheMercenary 07-28-2009 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 584753)
They're in the committees, have access to the bills, and can offer ammendments. So now, for you, "transparency" means not only having access to the bill and offering ammendments, and even having the ammendments accepted, but the minority party also gets to write the bill?

Not really. But being on a committe means very little if little to none of your suggestions are adopted. That is just the way it is when you have one party that has such overwhelming power in Congress. It was no different when the Republickins were in charge. I fully understand that. But don't try to claim an environment where there is transparency when bills are being Rahmrodded and Pelosi Pushed to the floor for a vote by the group in power when no one has had time to read them.

Shawnee123 07-28-2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux (Post 584742)
John Boehner, the Republican minority leader in the House said the same thing last month and came off looking like an idiot:
In Ohio, the infrastructure dollars that were sent there months ago — there hasn’t been a contract let, to my knowledge. And the fact is is that I don’t believe it will create jobs."
The OHIO DOT stepped right in and called him out:

So Boeher was either lying to make political points or was clueless.

IF ANYONE EVER READ ANYTHING I WRITE AND THAT INCLUDES YOU REDUX, WHOSE SIDE I HAPPEN TO BE ON, YOU WOULD REMEMBER ME TELLING YOU THERE'S A SIGN ON THE INTERSTATE SAYING PROJECT FUNDED BY THE AMERICAN RECOVERY AND REINVESTMENT ACT.

I'd get out of my car in the middle of the interstate to take a pic, but you wouldn't read that post either.

Seriously Red, besides arguing with merc, do you ever pay attention to ANYONE else?

Oh, why do I try to engage you self-absorbed asshats? :rolleyes:

I'll be careful what I wish for.

DOOM DESPAIR COMPLETE AND UTTER FAILURE ALERT

TheMercenary 07-28-2009 02:35 PM

A good report on the Stiumlus and Highway jobs.

Quote:

Millington told [9] the Salt Lake Tribune‘s Brandon Loomis that the Utah DOT’s estimate of six to seven thousand jobs saved or created by stimulus funding — an estimate produced by a federal formula — was likely inflated. According to the Tribune, Millington said some of the construction workers on stimulus projects would be counted twice because they would be employed on one contract and then another.

Millington told the Tribune that the estimate was as high as it was “because the stimulus money was supposed to create all these jobs.”
http://www.propublica.org/ion/stimul...o-easy-job-724

Redux 07-28-2009 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 584756)
IF ANYONE EVER READ ANYTHING I WRITE AND THAT INCLUDES YOU REDUX, WHOSE SIDE I HAPPEN TO BE ON, YOU WOULD REMEMBER ME TELLING YOU THERE'S A SIGN ON THE INTERSTATE SAYING PROJECT FUNDED BY THE AMERICAN RECOVERY AND REINVESTMENT ACT.

I'd get out of my car in the middle of the interstate to take a pic, but you wouldn't read that post either.

Seriously Red, besides arguing with merc, do you ever pay attention to ANYONE else?

Oh, why do I try to engage you self-absorbed asshats? :rolleyes:

I'll be careful what I wish for.

DOOM DESPAIR COMPLETE AND UTTER FAILURE ALERT

I will try to be more attentive. :3eye:

Happy Monkey 07-28-2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 584747)
That is because Boehner is an idiot.

I am just a regular joe.

So where are the jobs for the people being laid off? Road jobs really only employ a VERY limited number of people with specific skills.

So you're asking where the non-construction-related "shovel-ready" projects are?
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 584752)
Reading the tea leaves again? The taxes on those who make money will erase most of that after this new health bill.

I don't think that 1-5.4% of income over $280.000 is anywhere close to "most of that".

Someone making $280.001 would pay one cent in new taxes. I don't think they'll be skipping Starbucks.

TheMercenary 07-28-2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 584761)
So you're asking where the non-construction-related "shovel-ready" projects are?
I don't think that 1-5.4% of income over $280.000 is anywhere close to "most of that".

Someone making $280.001 would pay one cent in new taxes. I don't think they'll be skipping Starbucks.

You need to re do your math. 5.4% of $280,001 is $15,120.1. And that would be on top of their already 33% Federal tax rate, which would be 38.4% tax rate, and if you live in my state, add another 7% to that and you get 45% tax rate. So you think that the guy who worked his ass off to make that much should give 45% to the governemt?

Happy Monkey 07-28-2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 584754)
Not really. But being on a committe means very little if little to none of your suggestions are adopted.

It means you're there when the other suggestions are adopted, so crying about not having time to read them is moot.

Also, plenty of Republican amendments are adopted, even though their inclusion doesn't seem to bring any Republican votes.

Happy Monkey 07-28-2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 584763)
You need to re do your math. 5.4% of $280,001 is $15,120.1.

That may be, but it is irrelevant. 1% of ($280,001 - $280,000) is one cent. There are a couple more gradations, until it is 5.4% of anything over $1 million. So someone making $1,000,001 would pay 5.4 cents plus whatever the formula works out for the income between $1 million and $280,000.