The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Products You Never Knew Existed (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=24831)

toranokaze 05-24-2013 02:31 AM

I would sink that thing.

Griff 05-24-2013 05:58 AM

I like the concept but wonder if that is really the right material? I suppose its UV protected so it may not get brittle right away. I can't picture it handling the normal use rock hits and scrapes. Maybe my normal use isn't normal.:D

ZenGum 05-24-2013 06:59 AM

So long as it comes with a few rolls of duct tape, all should be well.

footfootfoot 05-24-2013 07:12 AM

I have friends who've built a number of houses and out building using cordwood and strawbale construction. They will swear up and down that it is the best, cheapest, quickest way to make a building. While those building have many merits, best, cheapest, and quickest aren't among them.

If that were true, no one would be stick framing houses any longer. There's a reason conventional framing hasn't changed much in a couple of hundred years.

glatt 05-24-2013 07:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Have you ever seen the crates they use at the Post Office? They are made of the same corrugated plastic. It's very durable and lightweight stuff. Those crates get kicked or dragged across concrete floors while full of packages. Next time you see one, look at the bottom corners for wear and imagine the constant abuse they get.

Attachment 44149
Attachment 44151

footfootfoot 05-24-2013 08:37 AM

But what is the life expectancy of one of those crates? Although you see them all the time I don't think you are seeing the same crate for very long.

They are cool and all, but I don't think they will last nearly as long as another kayak conventionally built at the same price. Great to have in your trunk for impromptu kayaking though, I think that's where these certainly shine, not to compete with car toppers.

glatt 05-24-2013 09:07 AM

Actually, I think they are competing directly with Folbot, which is a foldable skin on frame style of kayak. I think they are probably better than Folbot because they are slightly lighter and much cheaper and much less complicated to assemble. The Folbot Kiawah seems to be the closest match, and it's $1,449. Check out the Folbot assembly videos. Assembly of a Folboat is really pretty involved.

Durability is a big question mark. I think in 5 years there will be enough data to know if these are any good.

Lamplighter 05-24-2013 11:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We bought our (17 ft) Folbot in 1975 for about $600,
and it's still in use each year... on lakes and "calm" rivers.

The current models have improvements on weight and
ease of assembly, but ours fits in the 2 bags shown in this pic.

glatt 05-24-2013 11:43 AM

That's cool! How do you like it?

Lamplighter 05-24-2013 12:15 PM

Obviously, we do like it...

The link you posted for the video of assembly of the Greenland model shows the main problem
... it is somewhat complicated and time-consuming.
Ours is sort of heavy and awkward, and it's easier for 2 people to share the carrying of the two bags.

Cross winds are the biggest issue in actual use.
The newer models have rudders (optional ?), but not ours.
Otherwise, we feel the wide bottom makes it a very safe craft.

But we still never allow a kid to take it out without an adult,
It has never been overturned in the water, even during the few battles of "water-warfare".

Gravdigr 07-12-2013 03:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 44703
Attachment 44704

Am I the only one seeing the word 'Gacy' in the Gay Bob logo? +5 for creepy.

xoxoxoBruce 07-12-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 865950)
Cross winds are the biggest issue in actual use.
The newer models have rudders (optional ?), but not ours.
Otherwise, we feel the wide bottom makes it a very safe craft.

could you add a side-board for open water?

xoxoxoBruce 07-12-2013 10:18 PM

$59 Film scanner for your smartphone.

Quote:

Enter the Lomography Smartphone Film Scanner! You can now scan 35mm film directly to your smartphone. Show everyone on Instagram your analogue shootin' skills. Let all of Facebook see your passion for film.

No middleman, middlecables or cumbersome equipment here. It's simple: slide any smartphone into the scanner's snug mount, switch on the battery powered backlight, slip in your film and snap a pic of the negative.

Lomo's free app turns your image from a negative to a positive, and lets you adjust the color and exposure before you capture it.

Lamplighter 07-13-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 870127)
could you add a side-board for open water?

xoB, actually I think there is such an accessory for the newer models.

But OTOH, Folbots were used in the Artic and by the German military,
and elsewhere around the world in earlier days, so they do go most anywhere, even built as mine.

ZenGum 07-17-2013 07:11 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Cunt-Coloring-.../dp/0867193719

Make sure to read the reviews.