The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Products I wholeheartedly endorse (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16635)

glatt 09-29-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 910788)
I was horrified. I won't even explain to you what I did next...just say it had something to do with a plastic bag, a deck railing, and a thwacking noise.

Yeah. I won't tell you either, but it had something to do with a metal coffee can and a freezer.

Not sure what's best.

But I'd prefer a trap that kills.

Those poisons are bad because you want to retrieve the dead body before it stinks up the joint.

Gravdigr 09-29-2014 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 910784)
O, the old original one.

Old Reliable.:yesnod:

BigV 09-30-2014 11:03 AM

I agree with footfootfoot about the Old Skool wire bail spine breakers. I've used them to kill rats in the back yard and they're very effective. Only a few times have I had the trap fail; I found it tripped and de-baited. When I reset and re-baited the trap, I got the rat the next day. I've also found skeleton-ized rats trapped. Those (rat) bastards are entirely without scruples. Fucking rats.

eta:

on a recent trip to Goodwill, I found a medium sized box with the word VICTOR on the side. ??? I opened it up and found 144 new Victor mousetraps, $25. I thought of all the Looney Tunes applications, and the attic scene from War of the Roses, but I didn't have $25 to spend on such a joke at the time, so it went to someone else. But it did look like fun!

Gravdigr 09-30-2014 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 910851)
I found a medium sized box with the word VICTOR on the side. ??? I opened it up and found 144 new Victor mousetraps

Weapons of Mouse Destruction!!

With a gross of them, ya coulda done this:

Gravdigr 09-30-2014 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 910794)
Old Reliable.:yesnod:

A long time ago I had a rat trap go missing. Never found it.

BigV 09-30-2014 02:49 PM

that was funny as hell!

Pete Zicato 10-02-2014 09:52 PM

My fool-proof method for using the old-fashioned mouse traps.

-Take a small piece of cloth - .75"x.25" or so.
-Rub a little peanut butter on it - both sides. Rub it in.
-Place the cloth under the curl where the bait goes and sqeeze the little teeth down (with pliers) to hold the cloth tight.
-Set the trap.

I've had very good luck with this. Mice yank on the cloth trying to get the peanut butter off and spring the trap. Never found a live one.

Spexxvet 10-04-2014 10:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
AqueonŽ Aquarium Water Changer

No more up and down the steps with the bucket of water.

http://www.petsmart.com/gsi/webstore...a-001b2166c62d

Undertoad 10-04-2014 10:47 AM

I recommend it too, but I can't use mine now, because my only nearby faucet is the kitchen sink. Turtle shit should not drain there and I have a filter on the faucet anyway, complicating it all.

My only concern is that they say the bubbling action takes care of the chlorine, but I can't get my head around that enough to believe it.

footfootfoot 10-04-2014 12:00 PM

Chlorine is pretty volatile and will evaporate at room temp. The bubbling helps that, sort of like how a fan will help moisture evaporate. I can't remember what the scientific jargon for it is.

Gravdigr 10-04-2014 02:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Margaret Holmes Field Peas & Snaps simply cannot be made to taste any better. I don't put anything on these, no salt, no pepper, no bacon grease, no nothing. Make 'em hot, eat 'em up.:yum:

Attachment 49226

xoxoxoBruce 10-04-2014 11:07 PM

Can't get 'em here, can't even mail order, only the Field Peas without Snaps. :(

BigV 10-06-2014 04:22 PM

I like black eyed peas, but I don't remember ever seeing "field peas" anywhere, not fresh, not canned, not at farmers' markets, etc. They look tasty though.

Gravdigr 10-07-2014 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 911212)
Can't get 'em here, can't even mail order, only the Field Peas without Snaps. :(

Prolly just as good, hell, there ain't but about ten of them in there anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 911294)
I like black eyed peas, but I don't remember ever seeing "field peas" anywhere, not fresh, not canned, not at farmers' markets, etc.

They're pretty much peas.

:D

BigV 10-09-2014 03:42 PM

While we're talking about food...

This is what I'm getting for Twil for her birthday. (pssst, don't tell her please).

Here's the trailer for the book. NSFW, language.

Yes, the book has a trailer. I've been paging through the book, purchased at my local bookseller, Phinney Books. I give the book and my bookseller both five fucking stars.