The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's mildly irritating you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16569)

Griff 03-17-2016 09:12 PM

I'm run down per my clock change tradition, I can sleep in tomorrow must not get legit sick.

footfootfoot 07-04-2016 10:05 PM

Frigging bats.

I guess the fireworks made one crazy inside its head and it decided to come inside and visit. Thankfully it wasn't swooping around. I heard a thunk and clatter clatter and knew that saint nick wasn't popping by for a cold one so I get up to see what kind of fucking critter has invaded.

I head down the hallway towards the sound, clunk, clatter clatter and don't see anything... except that's not a sock, WTF is that?

Frigging bat ran aground; "help me I've fallen and I can't get up!"

I go to the kitchen and get a big glass and my student loan bill and scoop it up, spider style, and toss it outside into the air with a little English on it, hoping the toss might jump start it. Otherwise one of the neighborhood's 10,000 cats will find it.

And as I toss the frigging thing I somehow manage to pull a muscle in my forearm.

Frigging bats.

Griff 07-05-2016 06:02 AM

not cool

BigV 07-05-2016 10:30 PM

does that mean you'll be batting left handed for a while?

I hope for your sake you're a switch hitter.

lumberjim 07-05-2016 10:52 PM

No good deed goes unpunished

xoxoxoBruce 07-05-2016 11:15 PM

Serves you right for throwing away perfectly good food. :p:

footfootfoot 07-06-2016 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 963897)
does that mean you'll be batting left handed for a while?

Oh the humanity...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 963897)
I hope for your sake you're a switch hitter.

I'm a utility player.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 963901)
No good deed goes unpunished

My thoughts, exactly, at the moment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 963906)
Serves you right for throwing away perfectly good food. :p:

In fairness, I was feeding the local cat and skunk population. I need to stay on their good sides.

Gravdigr 07-06-2016 12:28 PM

Always stay on the skunk's good end--er, side.

Gravdigr 07-06-2016 01:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 936171)
I often say that I am not surprised by the stupidity of people, however, sometimes, I am a little surprised.

Remember when the sinkhole opened up underneath The Nat'l Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY? Well, after some discussion of leaving the hole and putting a clear floor over it, and, ultimately deciding to repair the hole, and finally deciding to display some of the Vettes, unrepaired, instead of restoring them all, I was gobsmacked.

I remember reading that they were considering selling jars of sinkhole dirt. I thought it was a joke.

As of the end of July, the Nat'l Corvette Museum has sold almost 2400 jars of sinkhole dirt and rocks. For $10 a pop.

It's dirt. In a jar.

Damn, people are stupid.

Attachment 52983

Attachment 57278

:facepalm:

Clodfobble 07-13-2016 12:22 PM

Don't you hate it when you know what the outcome of a certain situation will be, but you have to let the other person realize that for themselves, because teenagers are dicks who won't listen to anyone? So you have to dutifully support them in their stupid dreams about getting hired somewhere they are in no way qualified for, until finally they've run out the clock and accept their food-service fate?

Yeah, me too.

xoxoxoBruce 07-13-2016 12:27 PM

It's called life which is another word for discovery. The best you can do is intercede when they say hold my beer and watch this.

Undertoad 07-13-2016 12:39 PM

Quote:

So you have to dutifully support them in their stupid dreams about getting hired somewhere they are in no way qualified for
But it's not fair, because all youth are told that the secret to life is just forging ahead with your dream; never give up on your dream;

...without the additional understanding all adults have, but fail to communicate, that this is a feel-good sentiment, not advice on how to live out a life;

...and when their dreams fail to come about, as they have for 99.99% of us, we will be there, with additional feel-good sentiments to ease the pain;

...and a lot of them will be about how important it was that you tried your dream.

Clodfobble 07-13-2016 02:47 PM

Sorry, "dream" was ambiguous. This isn't like a hopes-and-dreams thing, more of an asleep thing. Her dream is basically "I'm too good to work food service. I'm pretty sure something else will be handed to me with zero effort." But with every passing day, another sliver of ego falls by the wayside. We're down to grocery stores now, which she initially poo-pooed, and still they aren't calling her back. We'll be at food service in another two weeks, I imagine.

classicman 07-16-2016 08:28 AM

Typically no one is ever going to call... they wait for the person to call them again.
Its the first sign of "I actually want a job"

Clodfobble 07-19-2016 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble
So you have to dutifully support them in their stupid dreams about getting hired somewhere they are in no way qualified for, until finally they've run out the clock and accept their food-service fate?

Third interview blown today, this time at a Target. We might be getting closer.