The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's mildly irritating you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16569)

Gravdigr 03-25-2017 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 985098)
Teflon Tape.;)

That.

Gravdigr 03-25-2017 04:00 PM

What's mildly irritating you today?

Just killed the first brown recluse spider of the year.

glatt 03-25-2017 04:11 PM

Yep. Teflon tape did it. After I spent 45 minutes draining the system again and getting it apart.

xoxoxoBruce 03-26-2017 01:55 AM

Heh heh, the fix is always the easy part.

Gravdigr 03-26-2017 01:30 PM

That, and hindsight.:D

Carruthers 03-26-2017 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 985123)
Just killed the first brown recluse spider of the year.

If you don't like spiders, esteemed Mr G, should you really be on the web?

xoxoxoBruce 03-26-2017 01:59 PM

Groan :facepalm:

By the way, an estimated 27.5 million tons of spiders worldwide, eat 441 to 881 million tons of animal prey every year. Stick out your can, here come the garbage man.

Humans and whales each eat 400 million tons.

BigV 03-27-2017 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carruthers (Post 985200)
If you don't like spiders, esteemed Mr G, should you really be on the web?

Once he got here, he was hopelessly entangled.

Gravdigr 04-04-2017 02:24 PM

What's mildly irritating you today?

Dem danged ol' Tarheels...

glatt 04-08-2017 10:13 AM

Apparently the child tax credit was reduced in 2016, so we owed $1k more in taxes this year.

Clodfobble 04-09-2017 12:13 PM

This one is irritation by proxy, an ongoing saga that's happening to my mother...

So my grandmother died about 7 years ago, and my mom has been managing the paperwork of my awful, inept step-grandfather ever since. (They were together for 30-plus years, but NO ONE ever liked him or considered him really a part of the family--he called my grandmother "lover" and is a supposedly-professional poet who has never been paid for his poetry but also never had any other job. Dude's a loser.) Why my mother feels the need to care for people just because no one else will is a whole separate issue. Bottom line, he's massively in debt, largely because he keeps getting suckered into old-person scams, all of which have to do with either tantric sex or stock-trading tips. For real.

ANYWAY. He'd gotten it into his head that he could do this weird home-equity-refinance-not-quite-a-reverse-mortgage-but-effectively-the-same deal that some advertiser sold him on. My mom's in favor of it because it gives him money for longer than he'll live, and nobody wants his trash condo, they can just repossess it when he dies and everyone's happy.

They'd gotten all the way to closing, then when they sent the final paperwork, my mom noticed that my grandmother's name is all over everything, about how she has to sign here and there to relinquish "her half" of the condo in this process.

She calls and tells them, "No, no, she's dead. It's all his."

Well, come to find out that's not the case. You see, she died without a will, meaning it didn't go to him, by default it got split evenly between her husband, and her children outside of the marriage, of which there are four. So my mother and her three brothers all own 1/8th of this stupid condo.

First, they have to issue a new title in the name of all five of them. Then they have to officially sign paperwork deeding their part to him. Then they have to issue a new title in his name. Then he can do this deal.

One sibling lives in California. The other is in Vietnam. All sibling signatures have to be wet, meaning actually signed and mailed. Oh, and the one in Vietnam is going to have to go to the American Embassy to find an American notary to make his pages official, at a cost of $100 per page. Twice. And they can't just say "fuck it," because if he dies, his half goes to some random fucking cousin of his in West Virginia, who may or may not still be alive at all, and if they decide to, say, open a meth lab in the place, my mom and uncles are potentially liable.

Don't die without a will, people. Even if you have no kids, no spouse--just get yourself a boilerplate will online, and name a charity as the recipient of everything. But don't die without a will. It's such a huge fucking hassle.

Gravdigr 04-09-2017 02:43 PM

Quote:

So my mother and her three brothers all own 1/8th of this stupid condo.
I don't understand how someone could be unaware they (even collectively) own a condo.

Clodfobble 04-09-2017 04:08 PM

She died with no will, they just assumed everything went to her husband.

And it would have, if he was their father--it goes down the chain. But he's not, and kids from a prior marriage are apparently on equal footing with a current spouse. Which also means if Mr. Clod died, for example, our house would by default belong half to my stepkids, not entirely to me. But he has a will.

Clodfobble 04-09-2017 04:09 PM

"Condo" also implies something much nicer than it is. People get shot in this neighborhood on a regular basis, and it is currently such a hoarder-nightmare that my mother won't enter the premises anymore, he has to meet her outside if he wants her help.

xoxoxoBruce 04-09-2017 04:44 PM

Quote:

Which also means if Mr. Clod died, for example, our house would by default belong half to my stepkids, not entirely to me. But he has a will.
Did you tell to make a damn will or you'd kill him? Oh, wait, that doesn't work, does it. :lol: