The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's upsetting you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14114)

GunMaster357 03-14-2011 10:14 AM

I'm 42 and I still have my appendix. Nearly everyone in my family still have it.

Clodfobble 03-14-2011 11:40 AM

Appendicitis is usually due to infection. I know a kid who had to have his out at age 7. It can be very serious if left untreated, so it's good she got it taken care of, but otherwise, you shouldn't worry too much.

Razzmatazz13 03-14-2011 07:37 PM

It's not JUST the appendicitis...

When I started my freshman year of college she was diagnosed with diabetes... no big surprise as it runs in my family.

Then she went to the doctor and they found that she had a cyst the size of an avocado in her ovary... she decided to have it removed and they gave her a hysterectomy for good measure as well.

The diabetes was unable to be controlled by eating healthy and taking medication no matter how much tweaking was done to her routine or process and she was looking at dialysis for her kidneys within three to five years... so she started the path to gastric bypass surgery.

Once in the program they find out she has a malfunctioning gallbladder, so during the surgery they yank that sucker out too for good measure.

She gets the gastric bypass and recovers from that which helps with her blood pressure problems (oh I didn't mention those, well she has blood pressure problems too) and helps with the diabetes so she is down to one shot a day instead of three shots and two pills.

A year or so later they tell her that the diabetes isn't going to go away as it sometimes does with gastric patients and they will have to up her meds a bit.

Then her appendix burst while she's on vacation.

All of these things individually don't mean much, and no, not all of them have to do with age... but she's running out of nonessential body parts to get rid of.

monster 03-14-2011 07:41 PM

tonsils.....

Clodfobble 03-15-2011 12:19 AM

teeth...

morethanpretty 03-15-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razzmatazz13 (Post 716702)
It's not JUST the appendicitis...

When I started my freshman year of college she was diagnosed with diabetes... no big surprise as it runs in my family.

Then she went to the doctor and they found that she had a cyst the size of an avocado in her ovary... she decided to have it removed and they gave her a hysterectomy for good measure as well.

The diabetes was unable to be controlled by eating healthy and taking medication no matter how much tweaking was done to her routine or process and she was looking at dialysis for her kidneys within three to five years... so she started the path to gastric bypass surgery.

Once in the program they find out she has a malfunctioning gallbladder, so during the surgery they yank that sucker out too for good measure.

She gets the gastric bypass and recovers from that which helps with her blood pressure problems (oh I didn't mention those, well she has blood pressure problems too) and helps with the diabetes so she is down to one shot a day instead of three shots and two pills.

A year or so later they tell her that the diabetes isn't going to go away as it sometimes does with gastric patients and they will have to up her meds a bit.

Then her appendix burst while she's on vacation.

All of these things individually don't mean much, and no, not all of them have to do with age... but she's running out of nonessential body parts to get rid of.

Aw, hon, I know its hard right now to feel like things will get better for her, but trust me they can! My mom had quite a few issues when I was in middle school. An endocrine condition that led to her having her thyroid and parathyroids removed, a tumor on her pituitary gland, gall bladders stones (more than 1 round of 'em), fibroid muscle tumors that led to a hysterectomy and blood pressure problems. I stayed up many nights feeling like I was going to lose her. Our family actually looks back on that time and refer to it as "the crazy years." She's still crazy, don't get me wrong, but she is a lot healthier than she was and can out energize my sis and I. Its hard watching a family member go through all of that, especially a parent (which I think a lot of the older dwellers know too much about as well), but in reality, your mom is not all that old and with today's medical technology, she can improve. I doubt your mother would want you to be so overwhelmed with worry also.

morethanpretty 03-15-2011 11:01 AM

Stupid fucking idiot boyfriend decided we should break up. He couldn't even come up with a decent reason. His complaints are: I don't like to party every weekend, I'm always sick (yeah like I can help that), I don't clean enough (neither does he), and I don't want to have children even though I'm willing to adopt and he's YEARS away from actually wanting them, so what does that even matter now?!
Oh and the really really shitty thing? This came up about 1 month ago, so I did take a hard look at my attitude and tried be more forgiving, less bitchy, more positive ect ect. I have made improvements. Then yesterday, without him having mentioned any complaints in the past month, he tells me I'm still too bitchy ect ect. If he had an issue, why the fuck didn't he talk to me about it? You want to know why? Because he's a shallow, hypocritical asshole. I have done everything to try and help him with his job and school situation, and this is my reward? He doesn't even recognize my improvements and claims that my trying to help him is in my own selfish interest!

Pico and ME 03-15-2011 11:45 AM

Another door will open MTP. Be glad that he is giving you this opportunity!

morethanpretty 03-15-2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pico and ME (Post 716777)
Another door will open MTP. Be glad that he is giving you this opportunity!

I had opportunities I passed up for him.

jimhelm 03-15-2011 03:21 PM

sorry, mortie. remember that you ARE more than just pretty. darker days will pass on, the sun will shine again, all that shit.

suffer hard, suffer well, and then bloom again. we love ya.

monster 03-15-2011 05:31 PM

Weren't you going to kick his ass to the curb anyway? You're well shot.

footfootfoot 03-15-2011 05:48 PM

MoreThanLucky

Shawnee123 03-15-2011 05:58 PM

You'll be better without him. He seems immature. You have always impressed me with your wise-beyond-your-years mind. Wait for the guy who gets that.

morethanpretty 03-16-2011 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 716806)
Weren't you going to kick his ass to the curb anyway? You're well shot.

I had changed my mind about that. I was trying to be more outgoing and open minded.

monster 03-16-2011 07:41 AM

The situation in Japan is upsetting me today.