The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's upsetting you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14114)

ZenGum 10-15-2007 12:01 PM

I made a little girl cry today.

Of course it wasn't deliberate and I found out later that it wasn't really my fault but I still felt like crap. Kind of still do.

I teach a class with four kids aged four or five. Three boys (two smart but boisterous, one low level and fairly quiet) and one girl (sweet and well behaved, but lower end of mid-level abilities, low confidence).
We were running through the vocab, chorusing the new words. She did ok with a few simple words, but a three syllable word came up, and it was all too hard. She froze, I slowly sounded it out, but it was too late. The lip started trembling, I could barely manage "hey, its okay" before the tears burst. :bawling:
The parents are always in the next room watching through the window, so I tapped on the glass and beckoned her mum into the room. There's not much in a 4-year-olds world that can't be fixed by a hug from mum. Mum stayed for about ten minutes, helping her settle and rejoin the class, helping with the words, and was able to leave after a while. Things were okay for the rest of the lesson.
I spoke with her mum afterwards (who, thank goodness, speaks English fairly well) and she explained that she had scolded the girl just before the class (I don't know why) and this had thrown her confidence and led to the tears. I feel a little better for this, but not much. When a cute sweet little child starts crying in front of me, and I am the trigger, if not the whole cause, of it, no amount of rationalization can wholly wipe away the emotional reaction. :(
I know I have posted some callous-sicko sounding stuff here, mostly about how to weigh heads, but really, I'm not mean.

ahh well, I'm purged now. Thank you cellar.

HungLikeJesus 10-15-2007 12:09 PM

Just wait, ZenGum. One day she'll make you cry and you will be even.

That's my prophecy to you.

ZenGum 10-16-2007 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 395329)
Just wait, ZenGum. One day she'll make you cry and you will be even.

That's my prophecy to you.

Gee thanks heaps, I feel sooooo much better now. matter of fact, YOU have made ME :cry:

:p

:lol:

Well I guess if all the kids I have made smile and laugh also return the karma, that aint so bad.

jester 10-16-2007 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 395744)
that aint so bad.

Teaching Vocab? And I thought only "southerners" said ain't;)

ZenGum 10-16-2007 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jester (Post 395746)
Teaching Vocab? And I thought only "southerners" said ain't;)

:lol:

What's really funny is that I debated whether to use an apostrophe and make ain't.
I used it purely for theatrical effect. And we all knows, there aint no apostrafee in aint. Thats mah ejamacashun torkin there.

jester 10-16-2007 12:45 PM

word to ya, brotha

DanaC 10-16-2007 03:27 PM

Quote:

Teaching Vocab? And I thought only "southerners" said ain't
I use ain't. In England you use the apostrophe :)

jester 10-16-2007 03:29 PM

Glad to know it has worked it's way across the globe. :D

Though I'm sure it's been around a really long time

DanaC 10-16-2007 05:38 PM

Quote:

Glad to know it has worked it's way across the globe.
.......yes.....from here to there. Though, in fairness, apart from in the South it's usually pronounced a little differently. In the North it tends to be more of an "ant" or "int" sound. It's difficult to convey, but part of the sound gets swallowed.

freshnesschronic 10-17-2007 04:11 PM

I found mold growing on my toothbrus since I didn't use it over the weekend (I went home from college).

But the real question is, why is there mold on my WIRELESS MOUSE?

Razzmatazz13 10-17-2007 04:15 PM

:eyebrow: you need some better ventilation and a more sterilized living area

blech:greenface

Sundae 10-17-2007 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 395325)
When a cute sweet little child starts crying in front of me, and I am the trigger, if not the whole cause, of it, no amount of rationalization can wholly wipe away the emotional reaction. :(

Would it make a difference if it was a pig ugly child?
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 395830)
.......yes.....from here to there. Though, in fairness, apart from in the South it's usually pronounced a little differently. In the North it tends to be more of an "ant" or "int" sound. It's difficult to convey, but part of the sound gets swallowed.

When I talk to my cats, I use the cat-speak I heard growing up. Aren't you in my Dad's voice becomes amcha, and ain't (a word I don't use otherwise) becomes ent (i.e. "So you ent done nuffing wrong then ah? You'm not guilty then amcha?") It's vaguely Dickensian.

glatt 10-17-2007 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freshnesschronic (Post 396335)
I found mold growing on my toothbrus since I didn't use it over the weekend (I went home from college).

But the real question is, why is there mold on my WIRELESS MOUSE?

Mold grows when there is moisture.

The real question is why is your mouse moist?

freshnesschronic 10-17-2007 04:33 PM

It's the underside and near the trackwheel. No idea man, seriously. My hands aren't wet when I use it. Baffling.

jester 10-17-2007 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 396340)
(i.e. "So you ent done nuffing wrong then ah? You'm not guilty then amcha?") It's vaguely Dickensian.

That, to me, sounds so "ebonic".