The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's upsetting you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14114)

Aliantha 04-20-2011 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morethanpretty (Post 725001)
Well, I just realized that I never turned in a proposal for my paper, thats an immediate half off the grade, so now I'm not even sure its worth writing the damn thing. I've been so distracted by my own self loathing. The paper is due tomorrow. :(

Try and write it no matter what. It'd be a shame to fail the course by a couple of marks that you might have picked up by handing in the paper.

Can you ask for special consideration because of the things that've been happening in your life lately? I don't know what the rules are over there, but here you can often get that if you've had major health or relationship issues that've affected you.

morethanpretty 04-20-2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 725043)
Try and write it no matter what. It'd be a shame to fail the course by a couple of marks that you might have picked up by handing in the paper.

Can you ask for special consideration because of the things that've been happening in your life lately? I don't know what the rules are over there, but here you can often get that if you've had major health or relationship issues that've affected you.

I can kinda. The prof and dean have to agree to let me drop with an Incomplete because of an health issue. Problem is, its more stress than anything. Sure, I have a bad thyroid and headaches, but I'm on meds. I probably don't have a good enough case. My prof might let me extend my deadline, but he did that last year for me too, I'd hate to ask him to do it again.

I am trying, I have 2 sentences written and am stuck again. :(

Aliantha 04-20-2011 06:06 PM

You might feel like a sook doing it, but you should do it anyway. It's your future not his, and I'm sure he's had to help students like yourself before. It's part of his job.

morethanpretty 04-20-2011 06:13 PM

Heh, just found out that the med my doc put me on for my headaches is commonly used as an anti-depressant. Funny.

Ali, I understand what you're saying. Its just not how I grew up, its against every fiber of my being. I'd almost rather fail. I know, I know thats worse. I'll talk to him tomorrow maybe, its just so close to the end of the semester, I feel like if I can just get myself past this paper, and the paper in Psych, and the 6 other writing assignments....
Oh geeze, am I fucked.

Aliantha 04-20-2011 06:29 PM

Me either MTP. I was brought up to just get the job done, and if I hadn't prepared myself properly it was me who should wear the consequences, so I know where you're coming from.

I only asked for SC once when I was at uni, and that was when my Mum died. The stupid lecturer I had denied it (even though she died the day before the final exam) and then I was just so down I just said fuck it and let myself fail the course. In hindsight that was a stupid decision knowing that if I'd appealed I would have won because the counsellor was on my side, but at the time, I wasn't really seeing things clearly.

Anyway, I hope you can get yourself sorted out. It'll be worth it in the long run.

morethanpretty 04-20-2011 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 725056)
Me either MTP. I was brought up to just get the job done, and if I hadn't prepared myself properly it was me who should wear the consequences, so I know where you're coming from.

I only asked for SC once when I was at uni, and that was when my Mum died. The stupid lecturer I had denied it (even though she died the day before the final exam) and then I was just so down I just said fuck it and let myself fail the course. In hindsight that was a stupid decision knowing that if I'd appealed I would have won because the counsellor was on my side, but at the time, I wasn't really seeing things clearly.

Anyway, I hope you can get yourself sorted out. It'll be worth it in the long run.

Yeah, I've decided that if there is a G-d, that it is against me. I had to leave the library I was at to go get books from another library. At the other library I found that I had left my laptop's power cable at the first library. So I drove back to the first library, only to get sick in my car as soon as I parked. Fortunately I have a loving and nearby mom who went and got my power cable while I drove home to clean up. I'm still feeling pretty awful though.

BigV 04-21-2011 03:14 PM

Hello Rich

I'm very sad to hear the news about your mom. I'm sure the complications make things feel worse. I can't change anything that has already happened, but I offer you my support and I'd like to help you in any way I can.

Yours,

elSicomoro 04-23-2011 12:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This :(

DanaC 04-23-2011 05:27 AM

Wow.

glatt 04-23-2011 07:03 AM

Rich, I've been away the last few days. I'm sorry to hear about your mom.

Sundae 04-23-2011 09:16 AM

So sorry to hear you've lost your Mum, Rich.
And then the added stress of it being at the worst time of the year.

A friend of my Mum's lost her Dad on Christmas Eve.
Even if it seems like nothing could be worse than losing a parent, it was worse for her, with everything closed and having to pass on news that spoiled other families' celebratons.

Clodfobble 04-23-2011 10:51 AM

Faaaahhk.

I go to register for the summer term right as the computer system opens this morning. As I'm furiously typing in section numbers, clicking the ones I want, advancing through the system, I can see the seats filling up in real time with each refresh of the page.

And then comes the big red error message: You must have a Granted Petition to register for [critical prereq course that MUST happen this summer or the whole plan is thrown off by a year.] Apparently for this one course, I was somehow supposed to know that I needed permission to register for it.

I did get into my other courses--not on the ideal schedule, but I got them. But none of it will matter if I can't get into this one fundamental class. I've emailed the department chair like it says I'm supposed to, to get my "petition" granted. But of course he's not going to respond until Monday at the earliest.

wolf 04-23-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richlevy (Post 723758)
My mom passed away this morning. I don't want to go into details, since I'm still processing this all and since I don't use a handle other peoples privacy is involved.

Rich, I'm so sorry. I'm seeing this for the first time. You and your family are in my thoughts.

jimhelm 04-23-2011 12:07 PM

sorry, rich :(

Pete Zicato 04-23-2011 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richlevy (Post 723758)
My mom passed away this morning.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Rich. Peace be with you.