The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's upsetting you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14114)

Sundae 04-27-2011 11:15 AM

Staff briefing this morning.
One of our school volunteers has two boys at our school. He is a very committed parent and we always say hello to eachother as we were volunteering at the same time, although I was doing full days and he was taking readers at set times. I often see him around Aylesbury in his van and always wave.

His brother has just been sent to gaol for sending sexually explicit texts to a 15 year old.
Link

Of course it does not reflect in any way on the man who volunteers at our school. It's just I feel for the family, especially knowing one of the boys well.

I haven't used any names in this post, but of course they are in the link which is on the internet and it was reported in the local paper. It's not about hiding the identity of the man, but his brother has the same surname and I'd like to respect his privacy at least.
Quote:

13 April 2011, 10:49 am
A 44-year-old man has been jailed for three-and-a-half months after sending a series of explicit text messages to a 15-year-old boy on work experience at his firm.

xxx, of xxx Road, Aylesbury, was sentenced at Aylesbury Crown Court on Monday (11/4) after admitting a charge of causing or inciting a child under the age of 16 to engage in sexual activity.

xxx, who runs First Choice Gas, took on a 15-year-old boy for a two-week work experience placement in spring 2010. The scheme is run through schools and Buckinghamshire County Council.

Within days of the boy starting the placement, xxx started to send him explicit text messages of a sexual nature. These messages became more extreme during the period of the placement.

On the evening of the final day of the placement, the victim’s father discovered the text messages on his son’s phone and the matter was reported to police. xxx’s phone was subsequently seized and evidence of the messages was recovered.

In court, it was heard how xxx had been under a great deal of stress at the time of the offence and had lost his sense of judgement but had expressed sorrow for his actions.

On passing sentence, Judge Sheridan called xxx’s behaviour “disgusting” and said the young victim must have “suffered horribly in his own mind”. He said xxx had exhibited “criminal behaviour of the lowest and disgusting sort” and had a duty to protect the young people of Aylesbury and the work experience scheme. He added that the “fabulously successful scheme had received a terrible blow”.

Investigating officer Det Con Lucy Jarrett said: “The young victim has shown a great deal of courage throughout this investigation, which has been supported by his family.

“Thames Valley Police and Buckinghamshire County Council will continue to work together to ensure that young people are protected and any similar reports of inappropriate behaviour will always be dealt with robustly.”

Clodfobble 04-27-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

and said the young victim must have “suffered horribly in his own mind”.
I doubt it. But there's just no such thing as consensual at that age, no matter how much the 15-year-old might have wished there were. I wonder how many months away he was from his 16th birthday?

Sundae 04-27-2011 12:51 PM

Yeah, I don't want to get into that sort of questioning.
The fact it was discovered by a parent.
(My niece and all that...)

Always comes down harder on male-male interactions.

But given the reaction of the judge that heard the whole trial I'm assuming it was a genuine case of abuse.

Clodfobble 04-27-2011 12:56 PM

Well if it was, that's awful and he deserves the jail time. Sorry that your coworker might be caught in any crossfire, though. :(

Sundae 04-30-2011 09:01 AM

Cold sores. Plural.
Woke up this morning feeling like my lip was a birthing sac for some bloated poisonous insect, which was trying to scratch a hole to be born through.

Oh sorry, I mean a "tingling sensation".

I have at least three separate cold sores. There may be more.
My lip is throbbing savagely, and feels as if it's swollen to bad-implant proportions. Of course when I look in the mirror it looks normal size, but I am not fooled.

This will end up being a holy mess when it all erupts.
Nice to know I have something to look forward to.

footfootfoot 04-30-2011 09:05 AM

bummer, sundae. what triggers the outbreaks, have you any idea?

HungLikeJesus 04-30-2011 09:14 AM

I think they are spread through the Cellar. I had one when I went on the big boat a few weeks ago.

Spexxvet 04-30-2011 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richlevy (Post 723758)
My mom passed away this morning. .

Sorry, I totally missed this, Rich. You and yours have my sympathy.

BigV 05-04-2011 10:54 AM

Upset is the wrong word, stressing me out is more like it...

I have my interview today. I have "test anxiety", I get progressively more stressed out as the moment of truth approaches. Then there comes a time when I just relax when I realize I'm as prepared as I'm going to be. Then the test, the interview, the date, the delivery, etc.

Right now, it's just moving straight upward.

Wish me luck please.

limey 05-04-2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 730388)
Upset is the wrong word, stressing me out is more like it...

I have my interview today. I have "test anxiety", I get progressively more stressed out as the moment of truth approaches. Then there comes a time when I just relax when I realize I'm as prepared as I'm going to be. Then the test, the interview, the date, the delivery, etc.

Right now, it's just moving straight upward.

Wish me luck please.

Good luck, BigV!:ipray::stpaddy:

HungLikeJesus 05-04-2011 11:14 AM

You don't need luck - you've worked hard and you have everything you need to do well.

plthijinx 05-04-2011 12:00 PM

good luck V!!!!

rich, sorry to hear that man. prayers and thoughts are with you!

and sundae: get a prescription for zovirax cream. it clears up cold sores quickly. soon as you feel the tingle just start applying it.

SamIam 05-05-2011 01:20 AM

Best wishes and much mojo coming your way, V. You'll do great - I just know it!

DanaC 05-05-2011 06:26 AM

Good luck V!

infinite monkey 05-05-2011 07:02 AM

Shameful shit on the Cellar yesterday.

I don't care how great a person merc is deep deep deep deep deep deep deep deep deep deep deep deep deep deep down.

We lost another bastion of viewpoints from someone who also has been in positions to know a little bit about the political process. Remember Redux. Will jill meet the same fate? Will constant badgering, calling her fat, a bitch, so that she defends herself, result in a pass for merc and a ban on jill?

Stay tuned for scenes from the next Peyton Cellar.

Really, even a blind hog finds an acorn from time to time. But he's a great guy. :headshake

Disgusted,

Willing to Learn, Unwilling to Bow.