The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Creative Expression (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   What did you make today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=22987)

BigV 08-18-2018 01:59 PM

I think we make a pretty goddamn good island down here in the cellar.

DanaC 08-18-2018 02:03 PM

Today I made...

...a woman cry.

Clodfobble 08-18-2018 02:04 PM

Did she deserve it?

DanaC 08-18-2018 02:29 PM

Well - not really. But sort of.

It's not her fault there was a leak in her bathroom - it is her fault she didn't read her policy wording where it clearly states that cover only applies to the damaged items in a suite / damaged areas of a property - so the bath has to be ripped out because the leak is underneath it and it is damaged in the process: covered. The bath has to be replaced, so might as well strip the bathroom back to brass tacks and kit it out with a whole new bathroom suite and fully tiled throughout: not covered.

Getting the work done and then trying to claim back the £3500 bill was not a wise decision.

So, I had the joy of explaining to her that we could only cover £1100 worth of work, with a £250 excess to deduct - and as a goodwill gesture £450 towards the cost of the undamaged items. £1300 and she is left to pay the remaining £2200

limey 08-19-2018 07:20 AM

That sucks, Dana. In fact dealing with insurance should be taught in schools.

Clodfobble 08-19-2018 07:37 AM

It's a common trope here:

Quote:

Me: What are taxes and how do I pay them?
School: The mitochondria are the powerhouse of the cell.
The culprit is mostly standardized testing--the government doesn't measure kids' financial literacy upon graduation, therefore teachers can't afford to waste time on it--but there is also an element of "I can't legally give you tax advice," believe it or not. Nearly all financially-related careers here are licensed, and you can get in deep trouble if you are perceived as giving someone advice in that arena, they lose money, and then they sue you for fraud.

limey 08-19-2018 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1013706)

The culprit is mostly standardized testing--the government doesn't measure kids' financial literacy upon graduation, therefore teachers can't afford to waste time on it--but there is also an element of "I can't legally give you tax advice," believe it or not. Nearly all financially-related careers here are licensed, and you can get in deep trouble if you are perceived as giving someone advice in that arena, they lose money, and then they sue you for fraud.

Yeah, I can see that. But actually, the lessons just need to say "read the small print". And occasionally "get professional advice". :D

limey 08-19-2018 07:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
In other news, I made these this week for two young visitors due at Limey Towers in a few days ...

xoxoxoBruce 08-19-2018 08:47 AM

Those are so cool. :thumb2: And of course Limey is smart enough to make them look different, no arguments.

limey 08-19-2018 08:55 AM

I did consider making them the same but with different coloured bowties. Do they need bowties?

xoxoxoBruce 08-19-2018 08:58 AM

I don't think so, the faces are everything.

sexobon 08-19-2018 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 1013712)
I did consider making them the same but with different coloured bowties. Do they need bowties?

Nah, you can take your young visitors out shopping for earrings, nose rings, and belly button rings to put on them.

limey 08-19-2018 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1013713)
I don't think so, the faces are everything.

Putting the faces on is the scariest part. Until then they are just cyphers, but they get their character from the face, and sewing is not my strong point. I never n=know how they're going to turn out.

DanaC 08-19-2018 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1013706)

Oh financial services is a heavily licensed and regulated industry here too. I do not offer advice, for example, on what cover someone should get. Nor do I advise them on the best option if they have a couple of different settlement options available. And I have to very careful not to give a claim decision (such as telling someone an aspect of their claim will be covered) on a claim with total costs above my licence (11k)

Have to walk a very fine line sometimes.

DanaC 08-19-2018 12:16 PM

Limey those teddies are frikkin awesome.