The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How long will he live? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18639)

tw 11-05-2008 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 501351)
I had this overwhelming fear that it was somehow going to happen during the acceptance speech last night. I could barely watch it, I was so convinced.

It says so much about who those people are. A patriotic assassin would have gone after one of the worst presidents in US history. So why do we not fear such attacks on George Jr? It says so much about the mindset of assassins AND of people who are George Jr supporters.

You've seen it here. Who, for example, exudes hate and openly endorsed violent solutions? That person is a clear George Jr supporter and constantly advocates violent (and military) solutions. And that person is clearly hates Obama - as we would expect. If anyone in The Cellar was a potential presidential assassin, then this Obama hater should be #1 on your list. And yet that person loves the most destructive president this nation has seen in almost 100 years.

TheMercenary 11-05-2008 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 501550)
I don't know Chicago at all, so maybe those of you who have been and know this park can comment better, but I just went to Google Earth and looked at the satellite imagery for this park. The buildings behind Obama in the picture are 1 full mile away from Obama. A telephoto lens makes them appear to be closer than they are. To the left of the picture, in the direction that Obama is facing, are closer buildings that are not as tall. (They are out of frame.) They are about 500 meters away. According to Merc, a sniper could reach Obama from there, but the plexiglass protects him from that direction. Behind the photographer, there is a large museum about 300 meters away. It shields him from that direction. And to the right in the picture, behind Obama, is the lake.

I think they did a pretty good job of shielding him.

IMHO that does change the picture. A .50 cal Barrett could still reach him, but it would have to be a determined foe that would try to organize and take such a shot. I am not sure that the panels would have protected him against a weapon. I have seen shots with that taken through cinder block walls that dropped the target. I was completely speculatiing, I don't know enough about the situation on the ground.

richlevy 11-05-2008 06:57 PM

Someone just made the same comment today to me about whether Obama would be assassinated. He wasn't being anti-Obama, he was being pessimistic about how far this country has come.

Sad.

Griff 11-05-2008 08:07 PM

A liberal friend of mine who worries just switched worries from stolen election to assasination. That said I figure Secret Service kept him safe through all those election appearances. He'll be a lot more static now, therefor, easier to keep safe.

DanaC 11-05-2008 08:19 PM

It isn't going to happen. Some random nutjob is not going to defeat the best security forces in the world. Not again.

Sundae 11-05-2008 09:36 PM

One Year Cellar Bet.
I will take PMs on Obama being assasinated this year. I'll send you ten dollars if and when he is, up to and including 5 November 2009.

You send me $10 if he isn't.

I reckon ten dollars isn't enough to tip someone over into assassination, right?

richlevy 11-05-2008 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 501749)
I reckon ten dollars isn't enough to tip someone over into assassination, right?

In this economy?

elSicomoro 11-05-2008 10:00 PM

I'm going to go with, "He will live a long and happy life with his lovely wife Michelle." There...I've said it.

tw 11-06-2008 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 501636)
A .50 cal Barrett could still reach him, but it would have to be a determined foe that would try to organize and take such a shot.

It's called making all those weapons legal. Those who would not threaten the life of America's worst president, who would discuss (encourage) the assassination of Obama, also say we must make .50 cal sniper rifles and 150 mm artillery pieces legal.

Urbane Guerrilla 11-06-2008 08:02 PM

Damn, tw, you disgrace yourself yet again, and you never could understand how I think. Fool! Can you not read my posts? There is not one solitary word of hatred for Obama in any of them. Read them again and know truth, as much as your crippled mind can. Whenever you're thinking I'll ever think like you, think again and yet again. Voting for some other candidate /= hatred, you effin' kook.

"A patriotic assassin..."? Damn, what a reeking bigot. Fortunately for the Republic, if perhaps not the Cellar, you were too big a wuss to try it yourself and get turned into pink mist. Tw, old son, I question not only your patriotism, but your ancestry.

Now speaking of kooky, there's tw's ignoramus support of genocide, for he subscribes at best to the "theory of the evil gun." Any given gun is about as evil as any given drill press. Antigun people like tw support a necessary precondition to acts of genocide, whether they understand that is what they are doing or no -- sayeth the JPFO. You can achieve a genocide when the population can't shoot back. And when genocides break out, shooting back is all anybody can do. So if one acknowledges that genocide is bad, it is logical therefore to be not merely supportive of gun ownership, but fanatical about it.

TheMercenary 11-06-2008 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 501930)
It's called making all those weapons legal. Those who would not threaten the life of America's worst president, who would discuss (encourage) the assassination of Obama, also say we must make .50 cal sniper rifles and 150 mm artillery pieces legal.

:sniper:

Ibby 11-08-2008 10:01 AM

how many of the 46% of McCain voters were convinced by McCain's rhetoric that Obama is going to take their stuff, or pals around with terr'ists, or is just plain dangerous for America?

Now, how many of those convinced take that belief a little too far?

And how many of those already have some motive to hate anyway, be it bigotry or prejudice of any flavour?

And how many of THOSE are armed enough to do it?
more than i'm very comfortable with...
hopefully fewer than I think, maybe I'm not giving some people enough credit, but...

I just hope the secret service are reeeeally on their toes.
I think they will be. I trust them.

Cloud 11-08-2008 10:09 AM

at least two. but they caught 'em.

Urbane Guerrilla 11-08-2008 09:47 PM

Ibram really doesn't know how to be effectively antigenocide or anticrime, which is odd, because I think he's smart enough for it. He might not have sufficient discretionary income to do much about it for a while, though.

Urbane Guerrilla 11-08-2008 09:53 PM

And troublingly, there is absolutely nothing pro-gun in Obama's record, and there are antigun quotes. Biden's even worse, having tried to strip Americans of their self-defense option in any amount or degree available for the twenty years of his Federal career. Pro-crime and pro-genocide = not pro-good.