The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Idiot sightings (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=21995)

lookout123 02-09-2010 03:41 PM

I still use a dos based system every single day. the firm has spent untold millions but the green screens still work better than most of the proposed replacements.

lumberjim 02-09-2010 05:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is Like a DOS program anchored in a windows ...window.

there ARE things that can be done with the mouse, but you have to go to each line to change the value.....like....14[enter] then change it to 2295[enter] to put the warranty in. The first time you go to a page, it starts you at the top, and takes you to each field in succession until you reach the end..... It really goes very fast....I don't know that windows interface would be any better.

also, it ONLY hears caps. THAT'S WHY I ALWAYS YELL WHEN I CHAT FROM WORK!

there are several screens beyond this one where I put other info like buyers names, insurance etc.... but they look the same

Undertoad 02-09-2010 07:05 PM

Like DOS, but not: it's a terminal program, playing like it's an old-style terminal, and connecting to another system where the work is actually done.

This is an atrocity, and must eventually be replaced by a web interface for you IMO

tw 02-09-2010 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 633568)
Like DOS, but not: it's a terminal program, playing like it's an old-style terminal,

A windows based ASCII terminal program (ie Telnet) permits cut and pasting. A standard DOS terminal program did not have options such as 'cut, copy, and paste'.

However, programs provide by Logitech permitting writing scripts so that mouse functions could be implemented into DOS programs. If the Logitech program or its script did not load properly, then mouse functions for that DOS program would stop working.

lumberjim 02-09-2010 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 633568)
Like DOS, but not: it's a terminal program, playing like it's an old-style terminal, and connecting to another system where the work is actually done.

This is an atrocity, and must eventually be replaced by a web interface for you IMO

They have a windows form based version that does exactly what that one does, just slower....and uglier. you can't change the screen color. I like a black screen, so I'm not blind when I look away.

tw 02-09-2010 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 633579)
They have a windows form based version that does exactly what that one does, just slower....

And I believe it is also called Telnet. It will not execute in DOS.

A famous DOS based communication program was PCPlus (if I remember the name). I also wrote a few back then using assembly language.

DOS programs will work in Windows. But are missing many functions that come standard in Windows based programs. Windows based programs will not work in DOS.

Telnet programs were another way of interfacing with obsolete technology time share systems - before browsers were invented.

Gravdigr 02-21-2010 10:10 PM

On August 29, 1997, at 2:14 am Eastern time, Telnet became self aware. Oh, wait, that's Skynet. Nevermind.

squirell nutkin 02-21-2010 10:32 PM

Just watched "Grizzly Man" by Werner Herzog

No, this isn't in the wrong thread.

chrisinhouston 02-22-2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Zicato (Post 631464)
Inspired by Classic's post here.

Not long after grocery store delis started using digital scales, my Mom asked for a third of a pound of ham. The young woman behind the counter froze with a confused look on her face. Mom translated ".33".

"Oooh." the girl said, "Do you work at a deli, too?"

I had something similar. I went to my supermarket's deli back at Christmas and asked for a 2 inch slice of Pancetta for some dishes I was cooking. The girl looked at me and then at her slicer and a chart of cut thicknesses, then back to the machine.

She finally turned to me and said, "The machine won't slice anything thicker then 1/2 inch."

I said, "well that's ok, why don't you just use a big knife."

"Oh" she said, "We don't have any knives back here."

"No knives in a deli?" I asked.

"No" she said, "We are only trained on how to use the scales for weighing and the meat slicer, they don't teach us how to use a knife."

:right:

Pete Zicato 02-22-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisinhouston (Post 636559)
"No" she said, "We are only trained on how to use the scales for weighing and the meat slicer, they don't teach us how to use a knife."

:right:

We're lucky in our area to still have some great Mom&Pop groceries/butchers.

ZenGum 02-23-2010 02:16 AM

Maybe they could find a way to cut it with a gun...

mititelu 03-09-2010 11:46 AM

Woman Shaving Bikini Area While Driving

UPI is reporting that the Florida Highway Patrol said a two-vehicle crash in Cudjoe Key, Fla., was caused by a driver trying to shave her private parts.

Trooper Gary Dunick said the driver, identified as Megan Mariah Barnes, was attempting to shave her bikini area while her former husband was holding the wheel Tuesday when Barnes' car crashed into the back of a pickup truck, the Key West (Fla.) Citizen reported.

"She said she was meeting her boyfriend in Key West and wanted to be ready for the visit," Dunick alleges. "If I wasn't there, I wouldn't have believed it."

http://keysnews.com/node/21349

TheMercenary 03-09-2010 12:42 PM

:lol:

The look at the beach is very important you know...

lumberjim 03-09-2010 01:06 PM

http://themirrorlady.com/images/Chip...irror-5890.jpg

glatt 03-09-2010 01:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This bugs me. The filigree is touching.

That's like letting your peas touch your mashed potatoes.