The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Today I Learned (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29898)

monster 10-14-2015 09:18 PM

any six-digit number with the pattern abcabc is divisible by 13

xoxoxoBruce 10-14-2015 09:46 PM

Be sure and tell beest and the student, might come in handy saving time. ;)

Gravdigr 10-16-2015 10:14 AM

Interesting.

DanaC 10-17-2015 09:06 AM

So that's what 'Netflix and Chill' means. I thought it actually meant ...chill out in front of the tv.

xoxoxoBruce 10-17-2015 12:05 PM

It doesn't?? :eek:

DanaC 10-17-2015 12:12 PM

Apparently it's millenial speak for 'wanna come over and get funky on the sofa?'

xoxoxoBruce 10-17-2015 01:27 PM

Damn whippersnappers, ruining the king's English, they are, no respect for tradition that's been good enough for weeks :crone:

Clodfobble 10-17-2015 04:46 PM

It's just the modern version of "going to the drive-in." Yeah, you're watching the movie, but everyone knows you really wanna just make out.

DanaC 10-17-2015 04:53 PM

Apparently there are now Netflix and Chill condoms.

Gravdigr 10-18-2015 03:13 PM

Not today, but, yesterday, I learned that the actress Lillian Gish lived to 100, never married, had no children, and left her entire estate, worth several million bucks, to actress Helen Hayes, who died 18 days later.

busterb 10-24-2015 06:51 PM

You cannot fill the coffee maker with water twice.:litebulb:

be-bop 10-25-2015 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 942382)
Not today, but, yesterday, I learned that the actress Lillian Gish lived to 100, never married, had no children, and left her entire estate, worth several million bucks, to actress Helen Hayes, who died 18 days later.

Lillian Gish is Scots slang for having a pee as in" I'm just away for a Lillian Gish "(pish)

:D

xoxoxoBruce 10-25-2015 12:55 PM

be-bop, that whole rhyming slang thing is lost on me. Things that rhyme often have completely different meanings, so how in hell do you guys figure out what the other is saying, until the term becomes common usage? :confused:

be-bop 10-26-2015 03:30 AM

Some of the rhyming slang is topical and some lost in the mists of time :D
Here's some other well used phrases
I haven't gat a Scooby, shortened from I haven't got a Scooby Do, meaning clue.
I'm Hank Marvin. (Shadows guitar player) meaning I'm starving.
You're having a Giraffe mate. meaning you're having a laugh..
The problem understanding is when the phrases get shortened, if you didn't know the original phrase it can be baffling

Undertoad 10-26-2015 07:02 AM

We septic tanks just don't have a clue.

Lamplighter 10-26-2015 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 943190)
be-bop, that whole rhyming slang thing is lost on me.
Things that rhyme often have completely different meanings,
so how in hell do you guys figure out what the other is saying,
until the term becomes common usage? :confused:

This helped me understand what is going on with Cockney rhyming slang...

Gravdigr 10-26-2015 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by be-bop (Post 943272)

We used have a convenience store near our interstate exit called Starvin' Marvin's.

There was also a character on South Park, an Ethiopian child, named Starvin' Marvin.

lumberjim 10-26-2015 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 943278)
We septic tanks just don't have a clue.

i give up. translate it?

Undertoad 10-26-2015 05:23 PM

Septic tank = Yank

http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/slang/septic_tank

I didn't even do it right, it should have been "We septics just don't have a clue." The advanced form just suggests the rhyme so you really have to know what's going on.

Also, this is one way the Brits are better than us (and I do believe that they are), they can subtly insult you and you didn't even know it happened.

lumberjim 10-26-2015 05:28 PM

ah, I had Yank... i couldnt rhyme anything with septic

monster 10-26-2015 05:40 PM

I read once that the original cockney rhyming slang terms also created a visual link to the item.

e.g.

Apples & Pears: Stairs -the barrow boys used to stack up the oranges and apples (much like they do in produce sections and "fancy" stores today) and they looked like stairs

Dog&Bone = phone -the old free-standing dial phones with the recever in a cradle on the top looked like a dog ?????....

...... There wasn't any TV to watch in those days ;)

xoxoxoBruce 10-26-2015 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 943386)
Also, this is one way the Brits are better than us (and I do believe that they are), they can subtly insult you and you didn't even know it happened.

Obfuscation is better? I don't think so, more advanced civilizations would strive for clearer communication. How else would the empire's minions know their duties. No wonder the Hessians failed. :p:

Undertoad 10-26-2015 06:27 PM

If you want to put down the yanks to your countrymen without the yanks knowing,... I'm telling ya, those people are better at their language than we are. Be careful around them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

classicman 10-26-2015 06:41 PM

Today I learned that sugar is not soluble in water - AT ALL.
This is making my limoncello recipe changes very difficult to address.

Clodfobble 10-26-2015 07:36 PM

You just have to heat it a tiny bit, it'll dissolve right away.

Aliantha 10-26-2015 09:58 PM

Maybe you should boil it classic? That will kill bacteria too.

Zathris 10-26-2015 11:22 PM

Today I learned I'm an online jackass.

I also learned that the current value of the dollar is even worse than I thought.

Aliantha 10-27-2015 02:43 AM

We're all idiots online, at least some of the time. Haha

xoxoxoBruce 10-27-2015 03:12 AM

Nay nay, not me. I'm an asshole, dickhead, bastard, etc, etc, online. I save idiot for real life. :p:

Aliantha 10-27-2015 03:45 AM

Haha...I'd like to see that.

DanaC 10-27-2015 05:54 AM

Quote:

I haven't gat a Scooby, shortened from I haven't got a Scooby Do, meaning clue.
You're having a Giraffe mate. meaning you're having a laugh..
The Hank Marvin one was used recently in an advert for some food or other.

*checks youtube*

From Lamp's wiki link:

Quote:

In some examples the meaning is further obscured by adding a second iteration of rhyme and truncation to the original rhymed phrase. For example, the word "Aris" is often used to indicate the buttocks. This is the result of a double rhyme, starting with the original rough synonym "arse", which is rhymed with "bottle and glass", leading to "bottle". "Bottle" was then rhymed with "Aristotle" and truncated to "Aris".[2]
I think that is possibly my favourite example.

I also think the use of scooby, for clue is a great example that shows how dynamic this form of slang is - it isn't all from the days of cockney barrow boys, this stuff just sticks.

Griff 10-27-2015 06:08 AM

Over the weekend I learned that Lil' Griff's roommate thinks we're hippies. At least we're not dirty hippies...

DanaC 10-27-2015 06:09 AM

Hahahahahaha. Get a fucking haircut, hippy!

glatt 10-27-2015 07:45 AM

Ha! I can see that. I mean, you live on a commune and do your own stuff.

xoxoxoBruce 10-27-2015 12:22 PM

One.. uh, two of the hippies who matured without selling out, rare as hen's teeth. :notworthy

Gravdigr 10-27-2015 02:52 PM

Today I learned that a cobbler does not build new shoes. A cobbler repairs old shoes, and/or builds shoes out of old leather. The person who makes new shoes out of new leather is called a cordwainer.

DanaC 10-27-2015 03:03 PM

Oh so that's what a cordwainer does. I see it listed sometimes as an occupation in enlistment records and for some reason have never googled it. I knew it involved working with leather - because of references in trials to thefts of leather from cordwainers - but didn't know it was a shoemaker (mostly I think they just referred to them as shoemakers in the court records, because I've only seen cordwainer a handful of times).

monster 10-27-2015 08:43 PM

I knew a cobbler only repaired shoes, but I've never heard of a cordwainer. thanks. (now coming to a scrabble game near you... one day.)

xoxoxoBruce 10-27-2015 11:00 PM

Are archaic words allowed in Scrabble?

limey 10-28-2015 04:36 AM

Yea, yea and verily!

classicman 10-28-2015 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 943403)
Today I learned that sugar is not soluble in water - AT ALL.

Totally screwed that up - lol See how upset I am. - Take two:

Today I learned that sugar is not soluble in ALCOHOL - AT ALL.

I have been making limoncello from an old recipe for some time now. I am trying to make it clearer (less opague is that correct?)
Now what do I do? Methinks I will further decrease the sugar.
What do you all think - Does it being cloudy alter your opinion of it at all?
I've actually inquired with a local distillery and ... who knows.
I'd love to get some feedback

classicman 10-28-2015 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 943455)
Over the weekend I learned that Lil' Griff's roommate thinks we're hippies.

Were you doubting that at some point?

Griff 10-28-2015 05:08 PM

hmmm... Now you're making me wonder.

Aliantha 10-28-2015 05:31 PM

Classic, any limoncello I have ever had has been cloudy. I don't think people care do they? It's about the flavour.

classicman 10-28-2015 10:06 PM

See, that's my point. Most of them are sickeningly sweet and cloudy like there's cream in it or something. I made a batch a couple weeks ago and it came out clear. I'm not really sure why. I THINK I did everything the same... Now I want to replicate that as it was clearly my best batch!

BigV 10-28-2015 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busterb (Post 943132)
You cannot fill the coffee maker with water twice.:litebulb:

Not true, you can fill the coffee maker with water twice, thrice, and more, but the pot will only hold the first one. :facepalm:

Aliantha 10-28-2015 10:52 PM

Well I don't know much about it, but my friends make it by mixing sugar, vodka and lemons. It's a bit cloudy, but not too much really. Clearer than most store bought I've seen.

BigV 10-28-2015 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 943704)
Totally screwed that up - lol See how upset I am. - Take two:

Today I learned that sugar is not soluble in ALCOHOL - AT ALL.

I have been making limoncello from an old recipe for some time now. I am trying to make it clearer (less opague is that correct?)
Now what do I do? Methinks I will further decrease the sugar.
What do you all think - Does it being cloudy alter your opinion of it at all?
I've actually inquired with a local distillery and ... who knows.
I'd love to get some feedback

The word you're looking for is limpid.

Aliantha 10-29-2015 01:12 AM

What about liquifying the sugar before you mix? If you heat sugar, as if you're making toffee, and bring it to the boil but stop the heat before it starts to change colour, then let it cool, that might work. You only need a tiny bit of water to get it started.

classicman 10-30-2015 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 943749)
The word you're looking for is limpid.

translucent ;)

classicman 10-30-2015 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 943751)
What about liquifying the sugar before you mix? If you heat sugar, as if you're making toffee, and bring it to the boil but stop the heat before it starts to change colour, then let it cool, that might work. You only need a tiny bit of water to get it started.

Correct - sort of.
That would allow me to dissolve MORE sugar in the same amount of water. However that won't change its solubility in the grain alcohol (190 proof, 95%) Also, when I cool the limoncello this will make it MORE cloudy, not less.

xoxoxoBruce 10-30-2015 05:12 PM

Use Sweet and Low.

I learned the WW II Underwater Demolition Teams (Frogmen), wore, "trunks with an inflatable belt, canvas shoes and a mask, he said. No neoprene or oxygen tanks for these underwater soldiers of the Pacific. Even the fins didn’t come until later"
No fins. :eek:

classicman 10-30-2015 06:49 PM

Now there is an interesting alternative ... Damn you Bruce, that would mean starting all over with the recipe.

xoxoxoBruce 10-30-2015 08:53 PM

Then you end up with twice as much. Is that bad?

I think Splenda would taste better.

classicman 11-01-2015 08:32 PM

Hmm ... I am still mulling that over.
I would NOT end up with twice as much, I'd just have less sugar in it. I'm not altering the quantity of the liquids.

xoxoxoBruce 11-01-2015 08:39 PM

You have a batch you're not happy with, so you start over with a different method and end up with another batch. Now you have two batches, twice as much.

xoxoxoBruce 11-01-2015 11:29 PM

Everyone knows James Bond drinks Vodka Martinis, shaken not stirred.
Today I learned, In, "On Her Majesty’s Secret Service",(11th book), Bond drinks: Pouilly-Fuissé white wine, Taittinger champagne, Mouton Rothschild ’53 claret, calvados, Krug champagne, 3 bourbon & waters, 4 vodka & tonics, 2 double brandy & ginger ales, 2 whisky & sodas, 3 double vodka martinis, 2double bourbons on the rocks, at least 1 neat whisky, a flask of Enzian schnapps, Marsala wine, the better part of a bottle of fiery Algerian wine, 2 more Scotch whiskies, half a pint of I.W. Harper bourbon, a Jack Daniel’s Tennessee whisky & water, on the rocks, a bottle of Riquewihr wine, 4 steins of Franziskaner beer, and a double Steinhäger gin.

In the whole book series, Bond drinks 19 Vodka Martinis, but 37 bourbons, 21 Scotches and 35 sakes.

Gravdigr 11-02-2015 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 942226)
So that's what 'Netflix and Chill' means. I thought it actually meant ...chill out in front of the tv.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 942249)
It doesn't?? :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 942251)
Apparently it's millenial speak for 'wanna come over and get funky on the sofa?'

Yeah, that phrase has been around for a while, now.

Attachment 54019

Do try to keep up.

:p:

Gravdigr 11-02-2015 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 944214)
Everyone knows James Bond drinks Vodka Martinis, shaken not stirred.
Today I learned, In, "On Her Majesty’s Secret Service",(11th book), Bond drinks: Pouilly-Fuissé white wine, Taittinger champagne, Mouton Rothschild ’53 claret, calvados, Krug champagne, 3 bourbon & waters, 4 vodka & tonics, 2 double brandy & ginger ales, 2 whisky & sodas, 3 double vodka martinis, 2double bourbons on the rocks, at least 1 neat whisky, a flask of Enzian schnapps, Marsala wine, the better part of a bottle of fiery Algerian wine, 2 more Scotch whiskies, half a pint of I.W. Harper bourbon, a Jack Daniel’s Tennessee whisky & water, on the rocks, a bottle of Riquewihr wine, 4 steins of Franziskaner beer, and a double Steinhäger gin.

In the whole book series, Bond drinks 19 Vodka Martinis, but 37 bourbons, 21 Scotches and 35 sakes.

That's interesting.

classicman 11-04-2015 08:23 PM

XOB - You need to come by and give the latest batch a test drive.
Its pretty damn good, if I do say so myself.