The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's upsetting you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14114)

Aliantha 01-06-2012 05:25 PM

My Mum features an awful lot in my dreams. I'm talking 2 or 3 times a week at least I have a memorable dream that she's in. The one i had this morning was incredibly vivid, and Mum wasn't even actually visible, but I was talking to her on the phone. Aden was only little and I was at my friend Clem's place and he was cooking dinner but it was late, so I called Mum to say I'd be home in a couple of hours. The funny part was, it was only me and Aden. No Mav or Max or Dazza.

It was a nice dream all the same though. There were other parts to it too, but they were kinda weird. Something to do with an agricultural show and animals getting loose and all sorts of weird stuff.

it 01-06-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DucksNuts (Post 785471)
It was yesterday....but when I was at work, I caught a familiar figure and motion out the corner of my eye....an old man hunched over leaning on his shopping trolley, arms crossed over it, with a great big head of grey thick hair and a solid figure. I swung around with a big grin to greet my Dad, to see that it wasnt my Dad (of course) but just another older man.

Im sure he wondered why the smiley girl's demeanor changed so quickly.

I miss my Dad

outch.

is that receant? for the first few years after my father died that used to happen to me a lot, sometimes when the resamblance was a real stretch of imagination in a 2nd look...

it really does get better. obviously different people might take it differently, but for me and hopefully for you, at some point "he'd be so proud, i wish he could be here" moments become just "he'd be so proud" moments, and you sort of get a little bite of that old satisfaction you would have had in making your him proud. it doesn't make much sense, but it works.

Lamplighter 01-16-2012 08:03 AM

After an unprecedented streak of pleasant sunny days in PDX, we had a storm
come through with sleet and rain and snow and our house shook.
I knew something was wrong and set about looking for the cause.
It took a while, but I finally found what had happened.

My wife of so many years had done the unthinkable...:eek:
She had put Grampa's coffee cup thru the dishwasher !
Not only that, she admitted to actually hand-washing the cup to get rid of it's last bits of patina.
Now, it's just a plain glass cup, an ordinary, run-of-the-mill, crystal clear, cup.

Gone are the traces of fragrance and tastes built up over the years of loyalty and pleasure.
Fading now are the memories of cups, nay, pots of coffee of days gone by.

I could buy another cup. I could start over with this old, now plain, non-descript THING.
But the heart is gone. It would not be the same. What shall I do ? :mecry:
Oh, the humanity ... My God, think of the children.

infinite monkey 01-16-2012 09:08 AM

I'm having a huge deja vu thing. Has this been posted before?

regular.joe 01-16-2012 09:13 AM

It only feels like it has been posted before.

HungLikeJesus 01-16-2012 09:19 AM

A déjà vu is usually a glitch in the Matrix. It happens when they change something.

Sundae 01-16-2012 10:54 AM

I saw Grandad's gate open the other morning.
Wondered if Dad had parked in there, but remembered walking past his car in the Close.

It took a few seconds (quite a lot in brain time) to scroll through - no he's in the hospital, no he's in the home, oh no, no, actually he's dead and that isn't Grandad's gate any more, even if it still the the number 3 my Dad put on it, and the hook and eye fastening to keep the gate open when you reverse in, and the plants we planted as a family in the garden (including a few hardy Australian ones in honour of Uncle Jim.

Losing a Grandad isn't like losing your Dad0, but even that can sneak up unexpectedly.

I dream about my Nan occasionally.
She's usually being quite nice.
I suppose she lives in the part of my brain that's pre-twelve, because I did love her back then.
Even in the dreams I pause and think, "Hang on, you're dead aren't you?"
I expect Grandad to make an appearance soon. And I think it will be pleasant.

classicman 01-16-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 788331)
I'm having a huge deja vu thing. Has this been posted before?

Yeh he posted a pic about his coffee cup which was only rinsed - never washed.

Griff 01-16-2012 12:25 PM

Quite a kick in the pants, that.

DanaC 01-16-2012 12:49 PM

*hugs Sundae*

sexobon 01-16-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 788326)
... I could buy another cup. I could start over with this old, now plain, non-descript THING.
But the heart is gone. It would not be the same. What shall I do ? :mecry:

Every cloud has a silver lining. Think of it as one less thing she can point to if she ever tries to have you committed. :p:

You may be able to restore the coffee cup's aura if you can get someone special to drink from it, someone so out of the ordinary for you that you wouldn't want to wash it afterwards (especially if lip prints are evident and you have a pic of the person drinking from it). The cup may have to travel to and from that person; but, perhaps some good Samaritan will volunteer to accept it as a noble cause. :)

Good luck.

DanaC 01-23-2012 02:02 PM

I wish my little wolf was here with me. I miss him so very much.

The smell of him has faded completely now from his furlined raincoat.

limey 01-23-2012 04:09 PM

He's still there, Dana. Believe me, in your every memory, your every pang of loss and, with time, your every chuckle at all your happy times. Where you are, he is.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

DanaC 01-23-2012 04:12 PM

I know. I just really miss the smell of him. And being able to kiss his ridiculous brown nose:p

xoxoxoBruce 01-23-2012 11:14 PM

But it might make your new puppy nervous. :cool: