The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What's for Dinner? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=6848)

Chocolatl 01-17-2013 02:05 PM

Trying a recipe I found via Pinterest. Chicken breast coated with apricot-pineapple jam, Catalina dressing, and onion soup mix. It's in the slow cooker now. Smells pretty good! We'll find out...

DanaC 01-18-2013 04:44 AM

Sounds good. Let us know how it turns out!

Chocolatl 01-18-2013 07:46 AM

It was delicious!

2 lbs chicken breast
3/4 cup apricot-pineapple jam
3/4 cup Catalina dressing
1/4 cup (one packet) onion soup mix

Put the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker. Mix the latter three ingredients together and pour over top. Cook on low for 4 hours. Could also do it in a pan in the oven at 350F for 1.5 hours.

We served it over brown rice with a side of broccoli. It had an orange chicken/BBQ type flavor going on. I'll definitely be making it again.

Trilby 01-18-2013 08:18 AM

where does one find apricot-pineapple jam?

Chocolatl 01-18-2013 08:28 AM

I'd never seen it before, but it turns out Smucker's makes some. Found it at our regular grocery store.

BigV 01-18-2013 09:54 AM

I find it in the fridge.

Before that, I found it at cash and carry.

Sundae 01-18-2013 10:04 AM

Do not sully the noble pineapple in that way please.
Actually, never seen pineapple jam here. Spose it's too expensive to ship.

Well now.
I bought a microwave crisp maker (chip maker in Merkin terms.)
It was dirty for a start. Packaged, but grubby - not with food, just like it had been stored somewhere insalubrious.
And it did come with no instructions.
So of course I turned to t'internet.
Turns out it's a Chinese product and just about everyone is online asking how to use it. Except one sarcastic fool who was all like "What is your problem, slice food, put in holder, put in moicrowave, duh!" Luckily they died of their own toxicity, so we don't need to worry about them any more.

After iextensive research re how long and what setting, I am going to try and make Sweet Potato chips tonight.
Salivating already.

Sundae 01-22-2013 01:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Went back to my old method for sweet potato chips. No comparison.
The little bit of olive oil I use on the baking tray is healthy anyway.
The slicer that came with the microvave kit did not produce results any more even in cut than my own knofe sliced ones - at least oven baking I can see which ones are crispiest and put them in the warming oven while the others catch up.

So tonight I had baked sweet potatos, roasted peppers and some dressed lobster (from a can). Meant to save some of the peppers for lunch tomorrow but they were the sweet mini ones and they just roast so well, breaking down into intensely flavoured chunnks of goodness, so I scoffed them all down.

Tomorrow's lunch already prepared.
I will HAVE to take a picture as I am really excited about it.

Sugar snap peas (steamed) topped with quinoa with a hint of spices topped with seafood antipasti. Couldn't help myself. Snagged a bit of octopus tentacle as I loaded up my lunchbox. Despite my shrinking stomach I could probably eat all the seafood right now.

Hmm... bloating, abdominal discomfort, craving for seafoood... Perhaps I am about to give birth to a shark! I would say spawn, but as I'm a mammal I don't want to stretch credulity too far. Still, remember me next time you read the National Enquirer.

ETA add my pics

orthodoc 01-22-2013 03:28 PM

So many tentacles ... :worried:

But I'm sure it's delish. Just not for me.

Trilby 01-22-2013 03:31 PM

Um. Er.

Sundae--when you win the lotto and we buy that big mansion and stuff...you're going to have to eat that octopus stuff in another wing of the house. The Seafood Wing if you will.

Sundae 01-22-2013 03:46 PM

Tril, out of respect for you I will only serve it blindfold until I have you converted.
You blindfolded I mean. Otherwise you might escape.

Ortho you can come and be inducted when Bri no longer needs strapping to the chair.

DanaC 01-22-2013 06:33 PM

The tentacles make it look like Klingon food....

:p

Big Sarge 01-23-2013 12:56 AM

Were the tentacles chewy or rubbery? Around here, we would have used your lunch as bait

DanaC 01-23-2013 05:10 AM

I have several good friends who say octopus is delish. But i can never see past the little suckers...just does. not. look. like. food.

limey 01-23-2013 07:29 AM

This.