The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's upsetting you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14114)

monster 09-08-2012 06:04 PM

Oh yes, it certainly is for many, it's just a cost to include. How much do you spend each time you go? People here used to travel 30 minutes to go to Costco, they'd go maybe 4 times a year ($10/visit) and buy stuff that's only a little cheaper than locally. Now we have one here, I *may* join, I'mm'a take a guest-pass test run first. We've had a Sam's Club forever, but we let our membership go after Thor was potty trained. We probably broke even on the membership/savings, but it was so stressful because the staff were crap it wasn't worth it.

Pico and ME 09-08-2012 06:10 PM

Last year I opened up their Discover/Members Card which gives me cash back. I use it for everything - gas, groceries, etc.- and pay it off every month. I earned the $40 fee for this year and I have already earned it for the next year. So anymore that doesnt play into it, but even when it did, I still came out ahead. I buy my chicken and hamburger in bulk and bag it up in smaller amounts to freeze. The price almost always beats out the grocery stores. I buy kitty litter, powder laundry detergent, and other cleaners in bulk too. I stay with their brand or, if they have it, ones that cost less.

And, my Sams isnt very far from me, but I tend to only go once a month to stock up. My bill normally stays under $100. Also, it is close to Aldis, so often I go to both in one trip. Aldis actually sells feta chesse and hummus now, and their produce is usually the best priced.

monster 09-08-2012 06:14 PM

ooh Cat litter. I forgot that was a good deal.... (didn't have cats when we gave our membership up)

DanaC 09-09-2012 05:29 AM

Wtf....when did the Upsetting you thread turn into the shopping channel?

Gods damn people I come here for misery and distress...

:p

ZenGum 09-09-2012 06:33 AM

I thought you hated shopping as much as I do.

DanaC 09-09-2012 06:44 AM

Excellent point, Zen.

monster 09-09-2012 10:47 AM

Now you know why.

OK stupid fucking cats can forget about cheap litter. Whats upsetting me is the little shite howled outside my door about every 15 minutes from 6am this morning, then when I finally got up to throw him out, I pulled something in my back. Have been lying in bed icing it for two hours, can only just move, the bastard shite is still outside

glatt 09-09-2012 04:41 PM

My sister in law, who has been fighting pancreatic cancer for the last several years, died in her sleep last night. At home. Kind of caught me by surprise, because she'd been so close so many times before, and they had just released her from the hospital a week ago, and things were looking like they were slightly improving over how she had been for the last month.

Fuckin' cancer. :mad:

Clodfobble 09-09-2012 04:54 PM

Damn. Sorry to hear that glatt.

monster 09-09-2012 05:12 PM

sorry, glatt :(

Griff 09-09-2012 05:16 PM

Damn it. Sorry glatt.

DucksNuts 09-09-2012 05:50 PM

Sorry for your loss glatt.

Aliantha 09-09-2012 06:10 PM

So sorry glatt. :( xxx

xoxoxoBruce 09-10-2012 01:05 AM

Yeah, buttfuck cancer in the mouth.:mad:

glatt 09-10-2012 07:57 AM

Thanks everyone. :)

Now I need to make up my mind about whether I'm going to her memorial service or not. She's actually my ex sister in law. She and my brother got divorced about 10 years ago. But it was a pretty good divorce, and I've seen her maybe 3 times since the divorce.

I liked her a lot. She was really cool. But she hasn't been a significant part of my life in about a decade. But her kids have (17 yo and 19 yo.) They are my niece and nephew and are family.

So on the "attend the service" side of the equation is that I'd like to be there for the service, and the niece and nephew would probably appreciate seeing me there

On the "don't attend the service" side of the equation is that I already have plans to go with my son on a scout camping trip this weekend, the service is on the other side of the country and it will take about 25 hours of travel time round trip to get there and back since I can't afford a last minute direct flight. There will be a ton of other people there, so my absence won't be glaring. Also, I recently noted that a moth ate my only suit, so I'd need to shop for at least a jacket or something. With airfare, hotel, and a new suit, the trip will put me back about $1k, which would be painful.

So really that's what's bugging me about all this. Do I go? I want to be there, but it's a huge pain.

There are only 3-4 more planned camping trips with my son before he leaves scouts, so it's not like there are an endless supply of camping trips. And I really enjoy camping with him and those other dads and their kids.

I think I've decided I'm not going, but I'm really torn about that decision.